Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Access webcam on network

Access webcam on network

Bob

Running Windows Vista Home Premium wired and 2 XP machines connected via
wireless. Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G. Windows Firewall,
Windows Defender and AVG anti-virus.
Cable broadband internet.

Sharing internet connection, files and printer works fine. The only problem
is I can not access my webcam which is on one of
the XP machines from the other machines. I receive the following message
when I try to access the webcam. "The specified path does not exist". I have
tried "run as administrator" and "taking ownership" What else can I do to
correct this?
Thanks.
--------
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
What the IP scheme is?
How are you trying to connect?
Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Running Windows Vista Home Premium wired and 2 XP machines connected via
> wireless. Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G. Windows Firewall,
> Windows Defender and AVG anti-virus.
> Cable broadband internet.
>
> Sharing internet connection, files and printer works fine. The only
> problem is I can not access my webcam which is on one of
> the XP machines from the other machines. I receive the following message
> when I try to access the webcam. "The specified path does not exist". I
> have tried "run as administrator" and "taking ownership" What else can I
> do to correct this?
> Thanks.
> --------
> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
> so
> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Bob

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Thanks for the response Jack.

> What the IP scheme is?

I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see when I
run ipconfig?

> How are you trying to connect?

I navigate to the executable and click it.

> Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?

Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.

> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Running Windows Vista Home Premium wired and 2 XP machines connected via
>> wireless. Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G. Windows Firewall,
>> Windows Defender and AVG anti-virus.
>> Cable broadband internet.
>>
>> Sharing internet connection, files and printer works fine. The only
>> problem is I can not access my webcam which is on one of
>> the XP machines from the other machines. I receive the following message
>> when I try to access the webcam. "The specified path does not exist". I
>> have tried "run as administrator" and "taking ownership" What else can I
>> do to correct this?
>> Thanks.
>> --------
>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to
>> so
>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Dave

the executable is on the remote machine and the camera plugged into that
machine via usb?? if so, you have very little chance of that working. Most
modern windows apps need to be installed on the machine they are running
from so that all the associated dll's, ocx's, and devices they need to
access are available. some webcams supply you with a streaming application
that lets you connect to the camera using something like windows media
player or a web browser that supports a java or active-x control supplied by
the webcam. you would have to read the manual for the camera to find out if
they support some kind of remote access like that.

news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Thanks for the response Jack.
>
>> What the IP scheme is?

> I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see when
> I run ipconfig?
>
>> How are you trying to connect?

> I navigate to the executable and click it.
>
>> Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?

> Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
> assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.
>

>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Running Windows Vista Home Premium wired and 2 XP machines connected via
>>> wireless. Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G. Windows Firewall,
>>> Windows Defender and AVG anti-virus.
>>> Cable broadband internet.
>>>
>>> Sharing internet connection, files and printer works fine. The only
>>> problem is I can not access my webcam which is on one of
>>> the XP machines from the other machines. I receive the following message
>>> when I try to access the webcam. "The specified path does not exist". I
>>> have tried "run as administrator" and "taking ownership" What else can I
>>> do to correct this?
>>> Thanks.
>>> --------
>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>>> to so
>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Bob

Dave
The webcam (software and hardware) is preinstalled on the remote machine
which is a laptop.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out remote access.

news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> the executable is on the remote machine and the camera plugged into that
> machine via usb?? if so, you have very little chance of that working.
> Most modern windows apps need to be installed on the machine they are
> running from so that all the associated dll's, ocx's, and devices they
> need to access are available. some webcams supply you with a streaming
> application that lets you connect to the camera using something like
> windows media player or a web browser that supports a java or active-x
> control supplied by the webcam. you would have to read the manual for the
> camera to find out if they support some kind of remote access like that.
>
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>

>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Thanks for the response Jack.
>>
>>> What the IP scheme is?

>> I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see when
>> I run ipconfig?
>>
>>> How are you trying to connect?

>> I navigate to the executable and click it.
>>
>>> Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?

>> Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
>> assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.
>>

>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Each Network Device has an IP number. These numbers have to be on the same
subnet in order to allow smooth Network traffic.
As an example a Network device can have an IP of 192.168.1.100 the first
three groups of numbers have to be same for all devices in order to be on
the same Network.
192.168.1.100 is on the same network but 192.168.2.100 is not.
The camera might come with an IP number that does not match the Network, and
thus you can not connect to it. Read the manual to find what is the default
setting of the camera.
As for the Firewall, it depends on what Firewall is used and how it is
configured. You can have a situation that certain type of traffic is allowed
and other does Not.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Thanks for the response Jack.
>
>> What the IP scheme is?

> I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see when
> I run ipconfig?
>
>> How are you trying to connect?

> I navigate to the executable and click it.
>
>> Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?

> Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
> assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.
>

>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Running Windows Vista Home Premium wired and 2 XP machines connected via
>>> wireless. Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G. Windows Firewall,
>>> Windows Defender and AVG anti-virus.
>>> Cable broadband internet.
>>>
>>> Sharing internet connection, files and printer works fine. The only
>>> problem is I can not access my webcam which is on one of
>>> the XP machines from the other machines. I receive the following message
>>> when I try to access the webcam. "The specified path does not exist". I
>>> have tried "run as administrator" and "taking ownership" What else can I
>>> do to correct this?
>>> Thanks.
>>> --------
>>> [When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying
>>> to so
>>> that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

Bob

Jack,
The camera is preinstalled on my Acer XP laptop which runs Zone Alarm
firewall. I've added the camera executable to the allowed programs.
A manual for the webcam was not included with the laptop. The "Help" within
the software does not address the issue.

On the Vista machine running Windows firewall I've tried (without success)
to add the camera executable to the exceptions but receive "The specified
path does not exist".
Dave suggested "Remote Access" is the way to go. What do you think?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Each Network Device has an IP number. These numbers have to be on the same
> subnet in order to allow smooth Network traffic.
> As an example a Network device can have an IP of 192.168.1.100 the first
> three groups of numbers have to be same for all devices in order to be on
> the same Network.
> 192.168.1.100 is on the same network but 192.168.2.100 is not.
> The camera might come with an IP number that does not match the Network,
> and thus you can not connect to it. Read the manual to find what is the
> default setting of the camera.
> As for the Firewall, it depends on what Firewall is used and how it is
> configured. You can have a situation that certain type of traffic is
> allowed and other does Not.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>

>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Thanks for the response Jack.
>>
>>> What the IP scheme is?

>> I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see when
>> I run ipconfig?
>>
>>> How are you trying to connect?

>> I navigate to the executable and click it.
>>
>>> Did you set the Firewall to allow local Network connections?

>> Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
>> assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.
>>

>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I thought you have a real IP Webcam.
The Webcams that are embedded in Laptops are Not universal in the way the
work. They are Not a natural network Device and sharing them with other
computer depends on how their propriety software was designed by the
manufacture.
If its own software does not allow sharing you can try Remote control, If
you Network is fast enough you can use an Application like UltraVNC to
control and see the laptop's screen while it is running the Webcam. (
http://www.uvnc.com/install/index.html ).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Jack,
> The camera is preinstalled on my Acer XP laptop which runs Zone Alarm
> firewall. I've added the camera executable to the allowed programs.
> A manual for the webcam was not included with the laptop. The "Help"
> within the software does not address the issue.
>
> On the Vista machine running Windows firewall I've tried (without success)
> to add the camera executable to the exceptions but receive "The specified
> path does not exist".
> Dave suggested "Remote Access" is the way to go. What do you think?
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Each Network Device has an IP number. These numbers have to be on the
>> same subnet in order to allow smooth Network traffic.
>> As an example a Network device can have an IP of 192.168.1.100 the first
>> three groups of numbers have to be same for all devices in order to be on
>> the same Network.
>> 192.168.1.100 is on the same network but 192.168.2.100 is not.
>> The camera might come with an IP number that does not match the Network,
>> and thus you can not connect to it. Read the manual to find what is the
>> default setting of the camera.
>> As for the Firewall, it depends on what Firewall is used and how it is
>> configured. You can have a situation that certain type of traffic is
>> allowed and other does Not.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>

>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Thanks for the response Jack.

>>> I don't know what "IP scheme" means. Are you referring to what I see
>>> when I run ipconfig?

>>> I navigate to the executable and click it.

>>> Since I have no problem sharing internet connection, printer and files I
>>> assume the Firewall is set to allow local Network connections.

Bob

Sorry I didn't mention the cam was embedded in my laptop in my original
post. I wasn't aware that it would make a difference.
I'll check out your suggestion.
Thanks again.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...