Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > srvcomment disappeared from Registry

srvcomment disappeared from Registry

Holger

There was a registry entry in good old windows where the network
comment was readable in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\
SYSTEM\
CurrentControlSet\
Services\
LanmanServer\
Parameters\
srvcomment

Now this entry has been removed from the registry - at least it seems
so. Do I really have to use other network api functions to retrieve
this information? I would like to stick to the capabilities of our
inventory solution which means registry retrieval.

Best regards,
Holger

Holger

On Windows 2003 Server R2 x64 the value given in "control panel" >
system > "computer name" > "computer description" seems to be stored
in two locations. One resides somewhere (used by the network config)
and one resides in the registry. The McAfee Access Protection prevents
that the value will be written to the location in the registry.
Therefore it is possible that you end up in an inconsistent state
where the value can not be retrieved from the registry BUT it is
working from the network perspective as expected.

Best regards,
Holger