Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Which api should I choose?

Which api should I choose?

Dustin.Xu@gmail.com

Hi, all
Glad to be here.
I have some problems during my project, I would like to query some
words to google, and get something back, for example, how many
results. So which api should I choose? I found there used to be the
google soap search api, but it was no longer used.
Thanks.

RedGrittyBrick

> Hi, all
> Glad to be here.
> I have some problems during my project, I would like to query some
> words to google, and get something back, for example, how many
> results. So which api should I choose? I found there used to be the
> google soap search api, but it was no longer used.
> Thanks.

Have you considered using one of the other search engines that still
provide a search API?

--
RGB

Roedy Green

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:10:47 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote,

> I have some problems during my project, I would like to query some
>words to google, and get something back, for example, how many
>results. So which api should I choose?

you can just watch what a browser sends and mimic it with GET/POST.
See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP for the code.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/http.html

You can use a sniffer to help clarify what is going back and forth.
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sniffer.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

RedGrittyBrick

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 00:10:47 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote,
>
>> I have some problems during my project, I would like to query some
>> words to google, and get something back, for example, how many
>> results. So which api should I choose?

> you can just watch what a browser sends and mimic it with GET/POST.
> See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#HTTP for the code.
>
> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/http.html
>
> You can use a sniffer to help clarify what is going back and forth.
> see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sniffer.html

According to Google:

"Why is everyone in my network encountering a 'We're Sorry' page when
using Google?"

Sending automated queries of any sort to Google is against our
Terms of Service. For more information on Google Terms of Service
for Your Personal Use, please visit
http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html.

http://www.google.com/support/bin/an...640&topic=8995

Note that Yahoo and some other search engines do offer a search API.
http://developer.yahoo.com/search/

--
RGB