Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > does 5505 come w/ pw, cables, license

does 5505 come w/ pw, cables, license

Ender

Hi,

I'm wanting to buy the Cisco 5505 but, I'm not sure if these two links
means the device comes w/ the power supply and cables, license, etc...

I just want to put this in my home and I'm the only user. I figure w/
these two outlets, I shouldn't be getting a clone and get the real
thing.

At least one of these links seems to suggest that the accessories are
extra (i.e. power supplies, license, etc...).

At CDW ...
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/spe...ecs-_-Main+Tab

At

Amazon ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5G62WAPX7Y0JHR

When

buying the device, does all the cabling and power supply come with it?

Brian V

"Ender" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm wanting to buy the Cisco 5505 but, I'm not sure if these two links
> means the device comes w/ the power supply and cables, license, etc...
>
> I just want to put this in my home and I'm the only user. I figure w/
> these two outlets, I shouldn't be getting a clone and get the real thing.
>
> At least one of these links seems to suggest that the accessories are
> extra (i.e. power supplies, license, etc...).
>
> At CDW ...
> http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/spe...ecs-_-Main+Tab
>
> At
> Amazon ...
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5G62WAPX7Y0JHR
>
> When
> buying the device, does all the cabling and power supply come with it?

Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you full
access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware warranty
should it ever fail.

Ender

> Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
> additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you
> full access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware
> warranty should it ever fail.

I don't understand, you mean Cisco doesn't give a standard one year
warranty on their hardware and to get this I have to pay the minimum
$76 fee for a warranty to get a replacement?

Walter Roberson

In article <2008031902021716807-noreply@mailinvalid>,
Ender <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
>> additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you
>> full access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware
>> warranty should it ever fail.

>I don't understand, you mean Cisco doesn't give a standard one year
>warranty on their hardware and to get this I have to pay the minimum
>$76 fee for a warranty to get a replacement?

It might depend upon the exact model of ASA, but when I last
looked, ASA warantees were generally 90 days. Also, smartnet is
(usually) hardware and software support (including incident
resolution as well as software upgrades).

Doug McIntyre

Ender <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Excellent choice! Yes, they both come with everything you need. Only
>> additional thing you might consider is Smartnet for it. That gives you
>> full access to Cisco tech support for any config issues and a hardware
>> warranty should it ever fail.

>I don't understand, you mean Cisco doesn't give a standard one year
>warranty on their hardware and to get this I have to pay the minimum
>$76 fee for a warranty to get a replacement?

That box has a 1 year warranty on hardware. Other cisco gear has an IT
industry standard 90-day warranty, or limited original purchaser
lifetime warranty. They are all different for the various lines, make
sure to read it to make sure what you would get.

You don't get software upgrades without maintenance though.
(again, fairly standard in the IT gear world).

Boxes aimed at consumers tend to get stronger support options than
boxes aimed more for IT types..

Ender

> That box has a 1 year warranty on hardware. Other cisco gear has an IT
> industry standard 90-day warranty, or limited original purchaser
> lifetime warranty. They are all different for the various lines, make
> sure to read it to make sure what you would get.
>
> You don't get software upgrades without maintenance though.
> (again, fairly standard in the IT gear world).
>
> Boxes aimed at consumers tend to get stronger support options than
> boxes aimed more for IT types..

So, Amazon has a 1yr ext. for smartnet. Can this be renewed at the end
of 1 yr so that I can always keep the latest firmware updates, or are
we talking about managing software?

My goal is to keep the latest firmware and do the configuring by the
CLI since I'm also studying for my CCNA.

Would you recommend I not get the smartnet for that or is it still a
recommened thing to get?

Thanks all for the replies.

Doug McIntyre

Ender <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>So, Amazon has a 1yr ext. for smartnet. Can this be renewed at the end
>of 1 yr so that I can always keep the latest firmware updates, or are
>we talking about managing software?

Yes, you can keep renewing smartnet at the end of each year so that
you can keep the box on hardware and software maintenance.
With smartnet at all levels, it is advanced hardware replace, so you
don't have to send it back, wait for them to fix it, and send it back
to you, you just get it sent on the schedule for whatever response
time you buy.

For the software, having a current smartnet up to date on your CCO
account will let you keep download software updates so you can upgrade
the box as long as it will go. Since the ASA5505 is fairly new, that
should be awhile, since they just retired the PIXs.

>My goal is to keep the latest firmware and do the configuring by the
>CLI since I'm also studying for my CCNA.

Sure, although CCNA covers mostly routers and not so much firewalls
from what I remember of it. The ASA CLI syntax gets closer to IOS, but
its not IOS. If you go further on the security tracks though, you'd
definately need hands on firewall using both the CLI and ADSM.

>Would you recommend I not get the smartnet for that or is it still a
>recommened thing to get?

Its up to you. If you want to get software upgrades, then having it
definately helps you out.
At least its only $75/year, other vendors charge more for their entry
level devices.

Merv

to OP,

not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
switch

If you are studying for Cisco certification, I would think that you
would want to acquire a suitable IOS-based switch

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>to OP,

>not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
>switch

The ASA5505 is Cisco's entry level firewall appliance, roughly
equivilent to the PIX 501.

Merv

On Mar 20, 10:00 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Walter Roberson) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >to OP,
> >not sure why you would want to buy a 5505 as it is a CAT OS based
> >switch

> The ASA5505 is Cisco's entry level firewall appliance, roughly
> equivilent to the PIX 501.

ahhh 5505 not 5000; really should have had my coffee first )