Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to combine two JPGs into one

How to combine two JPGs into one

Don Wiss

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
>do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
>(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
one(s) in.

frederick

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
>> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
>> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

> You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
> one(s) in.

And for free, you can do exactly the same using Gimp.

me@mine.net

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:13:43 +1300, in rec.photo.digital frederick
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
>>> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
>>> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

>> You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
>> one(s) in.
>>

>And for free, you can do exactly the same using Gimp.

Or Irfanview. http://www.irfanview.com

Ray K

What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray K

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:51:35 -0500, Ray K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
>> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
>> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.
>>

> You can do it in Photoshop. You enlarge the canvas and then drag the other
> one(s) in.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

Don,

I don't have photoshop, but you gave me the key clue about enlarging the
canvas. I tried that with Irfan and was able to make a selection from
photo 2, copy it to clipboard, and paste it into a selected area of the
enlarged canvas on photo 1. Worked like a charm.

If I want a picture in a picture, I don't even have to enlarge the
canvas. I just copy photo 2 (or a portion of it) and paste it into a
selected portion of photo 1.

Thanks,

Ray

HEMI-Powered

Ray K added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not
> looking to do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I
> could display both (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop
> background.

Any competent graphics app can do this. The main idea is to expand the
size of one or the other JPEGs, called enlarging the canvas in many
apps, with enough pixels to allow the other JPEG to be copied to the
Windows clipboard and pasted into place. Depending on what app you
choose, including PhotoShop and Elements and Paint Shop Pro later
versions, and some free ones as well, it may help to paste the 2nd
picture in as a layer instead of a simpler selection so as to have more
flexibility in resizing it to fit exactly the way you want, maybe
rotate it slightly, or change its appearance.

The above technique can be extended to any number of grid squares.
About the only thing you CAN'T do is paste in anything except a
rectangle of pixels or use transparency.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"And, that's all I'm going to say about that" - Forrest Gump

Jürgen Exner

Ray K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
>do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
>(or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.

You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information: what operating
system are you using?

Without that information the only sensible answer would be "Pretty much any
graphic editing program. Even the most primitive one for your OS will
usually support a simple copy-and-paste operation."

jue

Nervous Nick

On Mar 17, 6:51 pm, Ray K <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What kind of program would I use to combine two JPGs? I'm not looking to
> do anything fancy. Just place them side-by-side, so I could display both
> (or four as a 2x2 grid) as a desktop background.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Ask your grandmother, Ray.

--
YOP...

Don Wiss

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 01:38:13 GMT, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You forgot to tell us one crucial piece of information: what operating
>system are you using?

But Jürgen, you could easily have looked in the header and found the
answer. There I find:

Gecko/20080201 SeaMonkey/1.1.8

Paul Furman

Ray K wrote:

> I tried that with Irfan and was able to make a selection from
> photo 2, copy it to clipboard, and paste it into a selected area of the
> enlarged canvas on photo 1. Worked like a charm.

Perfect. I didn't know Irfanview would do that