Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Adding redundancy

Adding redundancy

Scott.jackson Scott.jackson is offline
Junior Member

Hi, I am looking for some advice on adding some redundancy into our network.
Currently have a WAN router, Internet firewall and VPN router with more connections likely in the near future.

Currently all equipment - users, servers, routers, etc. are all connected to 2 unmanaged switches. I am hoping to separate the various areas off so any future problems are contained and that we have some redundancy for the remote offices.

Here is my idea. I intend to put all the users and internal servers on to a new switch (looking at 2960 48 port switch for this) which is to form our main local network.

I am then looking at connecting this switch to two layer 3 switches (Catalyst 3560?). The wan router, client router and internet firewall will have dual connections to them as well and also a couple of external servers used for e-commerce type applications. These switches will then cross connect to each other as well. We already have Internet VPNís set up as a backup for our WAN line too.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to add some redundancy or would some other way be more suitable?

Thanks
Scott .