Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DNS servers

DNS servers

Collector€NZ

For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

RL

Collector€NZ wrote:
> For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
> access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

The Xtra DNS servers respond to DNS requests outside of their network,
at least using UDP, I have not tried using TCP on these servers.

alien.xtra.co.nz
terminator.xtra.co.nz

I'm sure you can get the IP address of these easily enough

RL

Malcolm

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:15:48 +1300
Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
> access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

Hi
I use http://www.opendns.com/
openDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

Rob Simpson

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:15:48 +1300, Collector€NZ propped his eyelids open
with toothpicks and wrote:

> For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
> access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

opendns.com
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220
--
Rob
ebius coolsig. This is a moebius coolsig. This is a mo ...

Collector€NZ

Malcolm wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:15:48 +1300
> Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
>> access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

> Hi
> I use http://www.opendns.com/
> openDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Thanks much, better than using Xtras

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <frkrs5$r25$(E-Mail Removed)>, RL did write:

> alien.xtra.co.nz
> terminator.xtra.co.nz

Interesting that they've been using those names for well over a decade,
obviously with nary a peep from their legal department.

Quite unusual for a large company.

RL

Collector€NZ wrote:
> Malcolm wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:15:48 +1300
>> Collector€NZ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
>>> access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

>> Hi
>> I use http://www.opendns.com/
>> openDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
>>

> Thanks much, better than using Xtras

Exactly how is DNS setup designed specifically to be broken better than
one which (mostly) does the correct thing?

Most DNS servers are open. Orcon is the only ISP I know of that prevents
their DNS servers being used outside of their network. That changed a
few months ago, much to our annoyance, as we'd been using their servers
for years.

RL

thingy

Collector€NZ wrote:
> For varioous reasons I need the IP of a open DNS server that I can
> access for third level dns lookup, any recomendations

Command line, most of them....(ISPs)....otherwise completewhois.com...

regards

Thing

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <frkrs5$r25$(E-Mail Removed)>, RL did write:
>
>> alien.xtra.co.nz
>> terminator.xtra.co.nz

> Interesting that they've been using those names for well over a decade,
> obviously with nary a peep from their legal department.
>
> Quite unusual for a large company.

hehe...

We used to have a server called "terror" which a nameless whimp
complained was "scary".

We also had a line named after spiders, which we had to stop. Some
teenagers (male) thought having a name like tarantula was great but that
same name put women off buying.

;]

regards

Thing

Collector€NZ

RL wrote:
> Collector€NZ wrote:
>> Malcolm wrote:

>>> Hi
>>> I use http://www.opendns.com/
>>> openDNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
>>>

>> Thanks much, better than using Xtras

> Exactly how is DNS setup designed specifically to be broken better than
> one which (mostly) does the correct thing?
>
> Most DNS servers are open. Orcon is the only ISP I know of that prevents
> their DNS servers being used outside of their network. That changed a
> few months ago, much to our annoyance, as we'd been using their servers
> for years.
>
> RL

No reflection on Xtras DNS servers, just I refuse to have anything to do
with Telecom if I can