Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Bottom margin not showing in IE 7

Bottom margin not showing in IE 7

Els

dorayme wrote:

> You saying that a 100px padding-bottom on the wrapper does not
> *show up* in IE7 with a page like: <http://tinyurl.com/2hlmhx>?
> This is serious!

It's (apparently) how IE treats margins that surpass the body
element's bounderaries (even setting a border on body doesn't help).
Thanks for noticing btw, I was just working on a new template for a
client and hadn't seen the absense of exactly the same bottom margin
on the outermost container within body.

Now solved with setting a bottom padding on body instead of bottom
margin on said div.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article <1pqka0c0mmjcx.19m92zxeoq3c8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > You saying that a 100px padding-bottom on the wrapper does not
> > *show up* in IE7 with a page like: <http://tinyurl.com/2hlmhx>?
> > This is serious!

> It's (apparently) how IE treats margins that surpass the body
> element's bounderaries (even setting a border on body doesn't help).
> Thanks for noticing btw, I was just working on a new template for a
> client and hadn't seen the absense of exactly the same bottom margin
> on the outermost container within body.
>
> Now solved with setting a bottom padding on body instead of bottom
> margin on said div.

Actually, Els, this is a more elegant solution for IE7 than my
temporary kludge of a heighted empty transparent div. I want the
background on body to be seen; and it will be on this padding
tactic.

I have sent $10 (US) to Bill Gates to speed up development of IE8
and 9 <g>

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

On Mar 16, 11:16 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottom...e7_margin_prob
> lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
> Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
> any recommended fix please?
>
> I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
> cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

See http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot001.jpg for a screen capture
of the bottom of your page on Firefox scrolled down as far as
possible. Then see http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot002.jpg for a
screen shot of your page on the ATT/Yahoo DSL browser(a slight
modification of IE7, mainly a special ho9me page). There is a
difference. I will take these two screen shots down in a few days.

Els

dorayme wrote:

> In article <1pqka0c0mmjcx.19m92zxeoq3c8$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Els <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It's (apparently) how IE treats margins that surpass the body
>> element's bounderaries (even setting a border on body doesn't help).
>> Thanks for noticing btw, I was just working on a new template for a
>> client and hadn't seen the absense of exactly the same bottom margin
>> on the outermost container within body.
>>
>> Now solved with setting a bottom padding on body instead of bottom
>> margin on said div.

> Actually, Els, this is a more elegant solution for IE7 than my
> temporary kludge of a heighted empty transparent div. I want the
> background on body to be seen; and it will be on this padding
> tactic.

You just need to think inside the box

> I have sent $10 (US) to Bill Gates to speed up development of IE8
> and 9 <g>

A $10 well spent

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)

cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 11:16 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottom...e7_margin_prob
> > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
> > Internet Explorer 7.
> >
> > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
> > any recommended fix please?
> >
> > I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
> > cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

> See http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot001.jpg for a screen capture
> of the bottom of your page on Firefox scrolled down as far as
> possible. Then see http://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot002.jpg for a
> screen shot of your page on the ATT/Yahoo DSL browser(a slight
> modification of IE7, mainly a special ho9me page). There is a
> difference. I will take these two screen shots down in a few days.

I better be quick then!

OK, thanks cwdjrxyz, this is food for thought indeed.

It makes me think a padding-bottom on body (see Els' reply) might
need to be applied not just for IE's eyes only.

--
dorayme

cwdjrxyz

On Mar 17, 2:50 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
>

> >,

> cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Mar 16, 11:16 pm, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/IEBottom...e7_margin_prob
> > > lem.html> shows a bottom margin in Firefox and Safari but not in
> > > Internet Explorer 7.

> > > Is this a known bug, and if so, is there a reference to it and to
> > > any recommended fix please?

> > > I have been unable to locate any specific reference to this and
> > > cannot see that what is said about other bugs applies to this.

> > Seehttp://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot001.jpgfor a screen capture
> > of the bottom of your page on Firefox scrolled down as far as
> > possible. Then seehttp://www.cwdjr.net/test/ScreenShot002.jpgfor a
> > screen shot of your page on the ATT/Yahoo DSL browser(a slight
> > modification of IE7, mainly a special ho9me page). There is a
> > difference. I will take these two screen shots down in a few days.

> I better be quick then!
>
> OK, thanks cwdjrxyz, this is food for thought indeed.
>
> It makes me think a padding-bottom on body (see Els' reply) might
> need to be applied not just for IE's eyes only.

I checked on most recent versions of Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari for
Windows. They all appear about the same as shown in the screen shot
for Firefox. At least for most recent browser that are commonly used,
IE7 seems to do things in a different way, as often was the case for
earlier IE browsers. I would not say IE7 is wrong without reading all
of the W3C specs that might apply, but I would give very good odds
that they are wrong if I were making a bet.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)
m>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2:50 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article
> > <(E-Mail Removed)
> >

> > >,

> > cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I checked on most recent versions of Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari for
> Windows. They all appear about the same as shown in the screen shot
> for Firefox. At least for most recent browser that are commonly used,
> IE7 seems to do things in a different way, as often was the case for
> earlier IE browsers. I would not say IE7 is wrong without reading all
> of the W3C specs that might apply, but I would give very good odds
> that they are wrong if I were making a bet.

I took another look at your screenshots and I see that you are
confirming what I have suspected and I will leave the padding on
body for IE 7 eyes only. IE 6 does not exhibit the problem. How
about that. A development of the fault ridden IE6 does not even
get right what it got right!

--
dorayme

Jonathan N. Little

Neredbojias wrote:

>Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all these problems fixed in ie8...

And you still believe in the Easter Bunny too, right?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Neredbojias

On 17 Mar 2008, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Neredbojias wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I'm sure they'll have all these problems fixed in ie8...
>>

> And you still believe in the Easter Bunny too, right?

Does appreciating the merits of spring hassenpfeffer count?

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.com/

cwdjrxyz

On Mar 17, 3:51 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)
> m>,
>

> cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Mar 17, 2:50 am, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)

> > I checked on most recent versions of Seamonkey, Opera, and Safari for
> > Windows. They all appear about the same as shown in the screen shot
> > for Firefox. At least for most recent browser that are commonly used,
> > IE7 seems to do things in a different way, as often was the case for
> > earlier IE browsers. I would not say IE7 is wrong without reading all
> > of the W3C specs that might apply, but I would give very good odds
> > that they are wrong if I were making a bet.

> I took another look at your screenshots and I see that you are
> confirming what I have suspected and I will leave the padding on
> body for IE 7 eyes only. IE 6 does not exhibit the problem. How
> about that. A development of the fault ridden IE6 does not even
> get right what it got right!

If you are very fussy about how the page on IE7 looks at the bottom,
you likely could correct with Microsoft conditional comments. See my
demo page at http://www.cwdjr.net/test/UncleBill.html . I tested this
on all of the browsers I have to make certain it works.