Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem with Laptop Wireless Connection

Problem with Laptop Wireless Connection

Sumant

Yes, I have the latest driver. All the latest windows update are also
installed.

"John" wrote:

> "Sumant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have another desktop which also connects using wireless adapter. That
> >does
> > not have an issue.

> Well then the AP isn't the problem.
>
> > What is strange is, when I am not receiving the packets when browsing
> > internet, it shows excellent strength for wireless and is connected. Some
> > times I am even able to connect to the desktop on which I have mapped my
> > drive.

> Do you have the latest driver installed on the problem computer?

John

Temporarily test it with firewall disabled.

from your original post:
> My wireless connection used to work just fine, but since a week it started
> behaving weird. It will work for 5 - 10 mintues and then stop working

Did you change anything recently? Is there a new wireless device nearby (eg:
cordless phone) which wasn't there before the problem started? Does the
problem disappear when you put the laptop next to the wireless AP?

"Sumant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I have the latest driver. All the latest windows update are also
> installed.
>
> "John" wrote:
>

>> "Sumant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have another desktop which also connects using wireless adapter. That
>> >does
>> > not have an issue.

>> Well then the AP isn't the problem.
>>
>> > What is strange is, when I am not receiving the packets when browsing
>> > internet, it shows excellent strength for wireless and is connected.
>> > Some
>> > times I am even able to connect to the desktop on which I have mapped
>> > my
>> > drive.

>> Do you have the latest driver installed on the problem computer?

Sumant Daga

Tried it with no luck.

"John" wrote:

> Temporarily test it with firewall disabled.
>
> from your original post:
> > My wireless connection used to work just fine, but since a week it started
> > behaving weird. It will work for 5 - 10 mintues and then stop working

> Did you change anything recently? Is there a new wireless device nearby (eg:
> cordless phone) which wasn't there before the problem started? Does the
> problem disappear when you put the laptop next to the wireless AP?
>

> "Sumant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yes, I have the latest driver. All the latest windows update are also
> > installed.
> >
> > "John" wrote:
> >

> >> "Sumant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Well then the AP isn't the problem.

> >> Do you have the latest driver installed on the problem computer?

Sumant

Update. When I disable the WPA-PSK security, it works fine. With Security
enabled, it starts giving problem again.

"Sumant Daga" wrote:

> Tried it with no luck.
>
> "John" wrote:
>
> > Temporarily test it with firewall disabled.
> >
> > from your original post:
> > > My wireless connection used to work just fine, but since a week it started
> > > behaving weird. It will work for 5 - 10 mintues and then stop working

> > Did you change anything recently? Is there a new wireless device nearby (eg:
> > cordless phone) which wasn't there before the problem started? Does the
> > problem disappear when you put the laptop next to the wireless AP?
> >

> > "Sumant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Yes, I have the latest driver. All the latest windows update are also
> > > installed.

Barb Bowman

please post the text output of ipconfig /all
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

what router are you using (brand, model, hardware version) and what
version firmware? and is it the latest firmware?

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Sumant

Router: Dlink DI-624 Firmware Version: 2.76 , Thu, 24 Aug 2006

Ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : daga-lt01
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-0B-27-80
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> please post the text output of ipconfig /all
> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/
>
> what router are you using (brand, model, hardware version) and what
> version firmware? and is it the latest firmware?
>
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:54:00 -0700, Sumant
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Update. When I disable the WPA-PSK security, it works fine. With Security
> >enabled, it starts giving problem again.
> >
> >"Sumant Daga" wrote:
> >
> >> Tried it with no luck.

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

what happens if you enabled DHCP? you've given the NIC a static IP.
was this to overcome not receiving an IP from the router? Is the
router set to mixed b/g mode? are you broadcasting the SSID?

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:25:00 -0700, Sumant
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Router: Dlink DI-624 Firmware Version: 2.76 , Thu, 24 Aug 2006
>
>Ipconfig/all
>
>Windows IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : daga-lt01
> Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
>
>Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
>Card
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-0B-27-80
> Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> please post the text output of ipconfig /all
>> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/
>>
>> what router are you using (brand, model, hardware version) and what
>> version firmware? and is it the latest firmware?
>>
>> On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 18:54:00 -0700, Sumant
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Update. When I disable the WPA-PSK security, it works fine. With Security
>> >enabled, it starts giving problem again.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP

Sumant

My router is set to assign static address depending on MAC address. Router
is set for b/g mode and SSID is being broadcasted.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> what happens if you enabled DHCP? you've given the NIC a static IP.
> was this to overcome not receiving an IP from the router? Is the
> router set to mixed b/g mode? are you broadcasting the SSID?
>
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:25:00 -0700, Sumant
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Router: Dlink DI-624 Firmware Version: 2.76 , Thu, 24 Aug 2006
> >
> >Ipconfig/all
> >
> >Windows IP Configuration
> >
> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : daga-lt01
> > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
> >
> >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
> >
> > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN Mini-PCI
> >Card
> > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-0B-27-80
> > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103
> > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> please post the text output of ipconfig /all
> >> http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/
> >>
> >> what router are you using (brand, model, hardware version) and what
> >> version firmware? and is it the latest firmware?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS-MVP
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP

Barb Bowman

setting the router to reserve IPs and setting the IP statically on
the computer are very different.

with reservation on the router, usually the computer is set to DHCP
and DHCP on the router always serves up the same IP.

Either remove the static reservation and assign the NIC an IP
outside the range used for DHCP in the same subnet OR set the NIC to
static. what happens?

>> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0B-7D-0B-27-80
> > Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.103

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP