Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > More help with PHP menus? 2nd level ideas. (OT to some).

More help with PHP menus? 2nd level ideas. (OT to some).

Ben C

On 2008-03-20, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mike Barnard wrote:
>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:01:55 +1100, dorayme
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> ctrl + / - on windows FF. I do change the size, up and down. I
>> squeeeeeze the text into the smallest resolution, and stretch it full
>> screen. It must be bruised and bloody by now. However, the search bar
>> didn't poke out at me that I noticed!
>>

> I have to admit, on SeaMonkey only, increasing the text size to an
> extraordinary level did not lengthen the "search" input bar for me. And
> I went to about 250%.
>
> Can't comment why, just an observation.

It has more to do with what font you have than with what size it is.

The text box has 20 columns (based on character width) and the column is
12ems wide (based on character height). So if the font's aspect ratio is
flatter than 5:3 the text box will be wider than the column it's in.

Toby A Inkster

Mike Barnard wrote:

> So I can set the size of the searchbox to ems too? I thought the width
> was just characters, and if you have smaller charcters then the box gets
> smaller.

The HTML size="X" attribute is set in characters. (Though what this means
is a matter for debate, given than most browsers use proportional fonts
within form inputs.)

However, you can style a form input with CSS -- e.g. "width", which should
override the size="X" attribute.

<input name="fooey" size="12" style="width:50%">

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 2 days, 11:58.]

The Semantic Web
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/09/sw/

Ed Mullen

dorayme wrote:

> I should really add that I have always liked your site from the
> first time I saw it and it is fine and none of what I said was
> intended as any criticism. I was just commenting on the sort of
> range of text size increases and decreases some of us might want.
> There is obviously a bit of leeway on these things. OK?

Thank you. I understood it the way you intended so all is well!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk>,
Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mike Barnard wrote:
>
> > So I can set the size of the searchbox to ems too? I thought the width
> > was just characters, and if you have smaller charcters then the box gets
> > smaller.

> The HTML size="X" attribute is set in characters. (Though what this means
> is a matter for debate, given than most browsers use proportional fonts
> within form inputs.)
>
> However, you can style a form input with CSS -- e.g. "width", which should
> override the size="X" attribute.
>
> <input name="fooey" size="12" style="width:50%">

So Mike, armed with this, you now have a way to make an even more
fluid job of your left col.

--
dorayme

Mike Barnard

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:14:41 +0000, Toby A Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mike Barnard wrote:
>
>> So I can set the size of the searchbox to ems too? I thought the width
>> was just characters, and if you have smaller charcters then the box gets
>> smaller.

>The HTML size="X" attribute is set in characters. (Though what this means
>is a matter for debate, given than most browsers use proportional fonts
>within form inputs.)
>
>However, you can style a form input with CSS -- e.g. "width", which should
>override the size="X" attribute.
>
> <input name="fooey" size="12" style="width:50%">

I nearly missed this post until Do replied. Thanks for this snippet.
I'll put it to good use.

Mike Barnard

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 05:03:10 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk>,
> Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Mike Barnard wrote:
>>
>> > So I can set the size of the searchbox to ems too? I thought the width
>> > was just characters, and if you have smaller charcters then the box gets
>> > smaller.

>> The HTML size="X" attribute is set in characters. (Though what this means
>> is a matter for debate, given than most browsers use proportional fonts
>> within form inputs.)
>>
>> However, you can style a form input with CSS -- e.g. "width", which should
>> override the size="X" attribute.
>>
>> <input name="fooey" size="12" style="width:50%">

>So Mike, armed with this, you now have a way to make an even more
>fluid job of your left col.

Thanks for chipping in. I nearly missed the previous post until you
replied and highlighted it for me! Another minor alteration to make.

I'm mostly trying to fill in the pages with content at the moment. And
shopping, and cooking pasta, I have some eBay auctions to tend to...
etc.

Hey, the Logo's up! Wotyer think?

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 05:03:10 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)5n.co.uk>,
> > Toby A Inkster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> The HTML size="X" attribute is set in characters. (Though what this means
> >> is a matter for debate, given than most browsers use proportional fonts
> >> within form inputs.)
> >>
> >> However, you can style a form input with CSS -- e.g. "width", which should
> >> override the size="X" attribute.
> >>
> >> <input name="fooey" size="12" style="width:50%">

> >So Mike, armed with this, you now have a way to make an even more
> >fluid job of your left col.

> Thanks for chipping in. I nearly missed the previous post until you
> replied and highlighted it for me! Another minor alteration to make.
>
> I'm mostly trying to fill in the pages with content at the moment. And
> shopping, and cooking pasta, I have some eBay auctions to tend to...
> etc.
>
> Hey, the Logo's up! Wotyer think?

You are still getting other trouble with the layout at
<http://www.thermachek.com/temp/index.php>. It happens at
particular text sizes for some browsers, at points where their
calculations so dictate it).

Here is a (reduced slightly) screenshot of it on FF (similar
happens on Safari).

<http://members.optusnet.com.au/debramcalister/pics/mikeb47.png>

You are over-specifying in the CSS. (Look at your body, eg, some
of these things are default anyway). In particular, be careful
about the header css.

Your "Height: 7em;" in header css - removing it altogether also
removes this "huge white col" problem I am seeing. I would just
remove it as it seems to do nothing but cause trouble!

I like the new logo! Well done. And it with some relief to see
the decent picture of you too. At long last. Please don't do that
scary one again.

--
dorayme