Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > More help with PHP menus? 2nd level ideas. (OT to some).

More help with PHP menus? 2nd level ideas. (OT to some).

Mike Barnard

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:00:54 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi again.
>>
>> [For those of you that think PHP is off topic, sorry, but this has
>> been the best forum for help I have found so far and I have been
>> invited to continue to discuss this subject here.]
>>
>> Bootnic offered me a simple PHP menu include which is fantastic.
>> Thanks again. I have been trying to improve on it by adding a second
>> level of menus. However, I am very new to PHP and I can't decide on
>> which is the best methodology to do it.

>I am surprised you are so keen to race so far ahead. There are
>downsides to multi-level menus that should surely put them on the
>back-burner till you get other things well on your site.

Hi again.

Race ahead? This should have been finished ages ago. I spend too
much time fiddling about and not enough working! I play Battlefield
2142 online too. Sad at my age!

>What have you done about your wife's hat or the logo? <g>

The hat? I'm missing something here. Dr. Suess has a Cat in a Hat.
Maybe I should re read my posts! But the logo is on its way.
logoguru.co.uk have provided me with some stuff. The final version
should be with me soon.

>What about the basics, you happy with it yet?

It's still very 'blocky'. I don't think it looks as 'professional' as
it could, but I'm not a professional. I think it needs a few corners
rounding off maybe? A bit more colour or maybe a *little* bit of
movement from a flash item. The main layout is OK.

I just have to get into my course notes and get more CONTENT in there.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 09:00:54 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Bootnic offered me a simple PHP menu include which is fantastic.
> >> Thanks again. I have been trying to improve on it by adding a second
> >> level of menus. However, I am very new to PHP and I can't decide on
> >> which is the best methodology to do it.

> >I am surprised you are so keen to race so far ahead. There are
> >downsides to multi-level menus that should surely put them on the
> >back-burner till you get other things well on your site.

> Hi again.
>
> Race ahead? This should have been finished ages ago.

Yes, race ahead of the basics. If you concentrated on them you
might be finished by now. Leave nth level menus till the very
last (when you might decide, nah, who needs them, lets get this
launched and get some dough coming in). On your site I doubt
levels in menus is going to help fatten the purse. They often
don't work right anyway, especially if you are not very good at
them and know all the pitfalls, and the result may be that the
potential customer will think, is this guy going to get the
basics right on my fire risks?

> >What have you done about your wife's hat or the logo? <g>

> The hat? I'm missing something here. Dr. Suess has a Cat in a Hat.
> Maybe I should re read my posts!

"Anyway, what you have at this moment (7.43 am Sydney) looks ok
in FF, but not in Safari where the blue slides *over* the fire
helmet(?)logo". said I once.

and you said in reply:

"Thats an eye that is. To be precise, my wifes right eye. Just a
filler but an eye with flames reflected in the whites is what I
(think I) want eventually".

And my memory got to work on this in the meantime and it turned
into your wife's hat. Perhaps I should offer you an apology. Or
perhaps I should just tell you a dream I had once:

I had a cat and I wanted a dog but my mum said the dog would eat
the cat so no, we could not get a dog. One night I dreamed I had
a big tabby dog. I kid you not!

Or perhaps I should write our exchange up here as "The Martian
that Mistook an Earthling's Wife's Eye for a Hat". (Mike, don't
ask why, just see <http://tinyurl.com/3322ue>)

> >What about the basics, you happy with it yet?

> It's still very 'blocky'. I don't think it looks as 'professional' as
> it could, but I'm not a professional. I think it needs a few corners
> rounding off maybe? A bit more colour or maybe a *little* bit of
> movement from a flash item. The main layout is OK.

Don't worry about blocky, about round corners. I suggest there
are priorities in these things and 2nd level menus and rounded
corners are not them.

Fix all the basics up, like get it to validate, get the css free
of all mistakes, get the search input field not to overrun the
navigation area where you have it or move it where it has more
room. Don't be fooled into thinking that aesthetics is primarily
about surface. With a website, it is about function as much.

Get that picture of you off the page before messing with rounded
corners. Get a nice picture of you and stop fooling about. Be
like me, serious, dedicated, no nonsense.

Don't babble.

--
dorayme

Mike Barnard

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:18:39 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Get a nice picture of you and stop fooling about. Be
>like me, serious, dedicated, no nonsense.
>
>Don't babble.

LOL! You don't want to see me looking 'official'. It's awful!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Race ahead? This should have been finished ages ago.

>Yes, race ahead of the basics. If you concentrated on them you
>might be finished by now. Leave nth level menus till the very

To me tha basics was to get a 'template' page in place so that I can
change the content and fill in others. Now, I've just about got it. I
HAVE THE MENU!

>last (when you might decide, nah, who needs them, lets get this
>launched and get some dough coming in). On your site I doubt

YES YES YES! Money, slobber.

>levels in menus is going to help fatten the purse. They often
>don't work right anyway, especially if you are not very good at
>them and know all the pitfalls, and the result may be that the
>potential customer will think, is this guy going to get the
>basics right on my fire risks?

I understand all this. Thats why I'm trying to get it right.

>> >What have you done about your wife's hat or the logo? <g>

>> The hat? I'm missing something here. Dr. Suess has a Cat in a Hat.
>> Maybe I should re read my posts!

>"Anyway, what you have at this moment (7.43 am Sydney) looks ok
>in FF, but not in Safari where the blue slides *over* the fire
>helmet(?)logo". said I once.

Aha, THAT hat! I still have it somewhere. I think I'll include it
snekily in the site somewhere like an easter egg. You'll have to find
it.

>Perhaps I should offer you an apology. Or

Lord no.

>perhaps I should just tell you a dream I had once:

Janet hates it when I tell her about the wierd dreams I have.

>I had a cat and I wanted a dog but my mum said the dog would eat
>the cat so no, we could not get a dog. One night I dreamed I had
>a big tabby dog. I kid you not!

I believe you. I rarely remember my dreams, but when I do they're very
wierd.

>Or perhaps I should write our exchange up here as "The Martian
>that Mistook an Earthling's Wife's Eye for a Hat". (Mike, don't
>ask why, just see <http://tinyurl.com/3322ue>)

A book by Stephen D. The lost mariner. Thats me that is! Only I
wasn't around in WWII.

>> >What about the basics, you happy with it yet?

>> It's still very 'blocky'. I don't think it looks as 'professional' as
>> it could, but I'm not a professional. I think it needs a few corners
>> rounding off maybe? A bit more colour or maybe a *little* bit of
>> movement from a flash item. The main layout is OK.

>Don't worry about blocky, about round corners. I suggest there
>are priorities in these things and 2nd level menus and rounded
>corners are not them.

But (Hmmm, I say that a lot!) I want to get one good looking template
page BEFORE I start making dozens of clones of it. If I add a rounded
corner next week I'll have to add it to dozens of pages. Maybe. Aha,
thats where includes comes in to play! I wonder what amount of a page
can be constructed from includes? I may be playing late into the
night.

>Fix all the basics up, like get it to validate, get the css free

At the moment it does, both css and html.

>of all mistakes, get the search input field not to overrun the
>navigation area where you have it or move it where it has more

It doesn't... <checks in different browsers!>... does it?

OK in Opera.
A bit of extra padding above the footer in IE7.
OK in Firefox.
Tried to download Safari. Latest beta crashes every time I try to run
it. BUT! Now I now have a trial of desktop rabbits!

>room. Don't be fooled into thinking that aesthetics is primarily
>about surface. With a website, it is about function as much.

Function is absolute, I agree.

>Get that picture of you off the page before messing with rounded
>corners.

But whats wrong with it?

>Get a nice picture of you and stop fooling about. Be
>like me, serious, dedicated, no nonsense.

Hmmmmm.

>Don't babble.

I have a new version. Well, that is to say an updated menu version.
Wotyer think?

Mike Barnard

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:44:17 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You can also see the CSS styling of the menu in:
>
>http://edmullen.net/styles/default.css
>
>and the actual menu file at:
>
>http://edmullen.net/styles/menu.txt
>
>The system is from:
>
>http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/examples/menu/tutorial-h.asp
>
>Not saying it's the best one but it does work.

For me too! Thanks for the input. I have used this to get a basic
menu working. I just wonder how it works in older browsers as my
machine is up to date like that.

www.thermachek.com/temp/

I have looked at this way of menuing before, but it was the copying to
each page that got to me. Now I see I can INCLUDE the menu... oh
bliss. I can play now.

Thanks.

Mike Barnard

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 14:39:49 +0000 (UTC), BootNic
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I have a working menu now, thanks. Unless its broken of course. Time
will tell.

Thanks for your help.

Ed Mullen

Mike Barnard wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 15:44:17 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> You can also see the CSS styling of the menu in:
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/styles/default.css
>>
>> and the actual menu file at:
>>
>> http://edmullen.net/styles/menu.txt
>>
>> The system is from:
>>
>> http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/examples/menu/tutorial-h.asp
>>
>> Not saying it's the best one but it does work.

> For me too! Thanks for the input. I have used this to get a basic
> menu working. I just wonder how it works in older browsers as my
> machine is up to date like that.
>
> www.thermachek.com/temp/
>
> I have looked at this way of menuing before, but it was the copying to
> each page that got to me. Now I see I can INCLUDE the menu... oh
> bliss. I can play now.
>
> Thanks.

Mike, it should work fine in IE7 and all current Mozilla-based browsers.
There is a hack to handle IE6 which is detailed on the tanfa Web site.
I load the iehtc file via PHP include thusly:

<?php include("./styles/iehtc.txt"); ?>

That comes before the include statement for the menu.txt file.

If you want to see the raw file code prior to when the PHP includes load:

http://edmullen.net/index.html.txt

I know it handles IE6 fine. Can't speak to IE5 and below but, frankly,
I don't care. Yes, I know there are people out there browsing with
ten-year-old software. Sorry, I have to draw the line somewhere.

As for your state of bliss, well, anything I can do to help!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:18:39 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >> Race ahead? This should have been finished ages ago.

> >Yes, race ahead of the basics. If you concentrated on them you
> >might be finished by now. Leave nth level menus till the very

> To me tha basics was to get a 'template' page in place so that I can
> change the content and fill in others. Now, I've just about got it. I
> HAVE THE MENU!

If you are learning how to get a page out that is respectable,
you should be talking a simple template that works, not a fancy
one that is very hard for you.

<http://members.optusnet.com.au/debra...ikeB/firefox.p
ng>

<http://members.optusnet.com.au/debra...ikeB/andthisin
firefoxtoo.png>

<http://members.optusnet.com.au/debramcalister/alt/mikeB/well.png>

Multilevel menus for a small site like yours is a waste of your
time when there is more fundamental work to be done. Is there
something about this that you are not understanding? (I know, you
want a multi-level menu. You want it. I know).

> >levels in menus is going to help fatten the purse. They often
> >don't work right anyway, especially if you are not very good at
> >them and know all the pitfalls, and the result may be that the
> >potential customer will think, is this guy going to get the
> >basics right on my fire risks?

> I understand all this. Thats why I'm trying to get it right.

You understand that they are tricky technical beasts, but not
that they have other problems (google, look up the archives of
this group) or that there are more important important things to
concentrate on in your site.

Is it ok to be frank with you?

--
dorayme

Ed Mullen

dorayme wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> Is it ok to be frank with you?

Shouldn't you just be "dorayme" with him?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> >
> > Is it ok to be frank with you?

> Shouldn't you just be "dorayme" with him?

No room I am afraid, I am Bob and Ted and Carol and Alice. That
is a handful enough for any one being to be.

--
dorayme