Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Credit-card number peeve

Credit-card number peeve

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

Enkidu

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

Or the ones that give you four boxes, but don't automatically move you
to the next box when you've entered 4, and let you enter 5 or more
digits in each box. I mean, the code at the far end must take the four
fields and return a CC number, so why couldn't they make the fields four
wide in the HTML?

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Richard

Enkidu wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> >
>> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card
>> number as
>> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
>> JavaScript
>> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?
> >

> Or the ones that give you four boxes, but don't automatically move you
> to the next box when you've entered 4, and let you enter 5 or more
> digits in each box. I mean, the code at the far end must take the four
> fields and return a CC number, so why couldn't they make the fields four
> wide in the HTML?

Why does it need to be 4 seperate fields? Thats almost as annoying as
the ones with 3 textfields or 2 textfields and a dropdown to get a date.
Why not just let me type it?

Bryce Utting

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card
>>> number as all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many
>>> lines of JavaScript does it take to strip out non-digits before
>>> submitting the form?

> Why does it need to be 4 seperate fields? Thats almost as annoying as
> the ones with 3 textfields or 2 textfields and a dropdown to get a date.

brave admission, that man.

butting

--
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable

Squiggle

Richard wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> >
>>> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card
>>> number as
>>> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of
>>> JavaScript
>>> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?
>> >

>> Or the ones that give you four boxes, but don't automatically move you
>> to the next box when you've entered 4, and let you enter 5 or more
>> digits in each box. I mean, the code at the far end must take the four
>> fields and return a CC number, so why couldn't they make the fields
>> four wide in the HTML?

> Why does it need to be 4 seperate fields? Thats almost as annoying as
> the ones with 3 textfields or 2 textfields and a dropdown to get a date.
> Why not just let me type it?

Because the Americans (and others?) do dates back to front. is
10/11/2008 10th November or 11th October?

Chris Lim

On Mar 16, 10:48*pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

OTOH how hard is it to always type in credit card numbers with no
hyphens or spaces (less typing!) ? I haven't come across any websites
that don't accept them in this format, so it's not like you need to
chop and change.

Brian Mathews

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
>all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
>does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

Use Windows works Great..

sam

Brian Mathews wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 22:48:07 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>
>> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
>> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
>> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

> Use Windows works Great..

Standing on the runway again eh ?

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Don't you just hate websites that insist you enter a credit-card number as
> all digits, with no hyphens or spaces allowed? How many lines of JavaScript
> does it take to strip out non-digits before submitting the form?

Probably none effectively, ie I would think there is a std module
someone else has already written to do that....

give me perl any day.

regards

thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris
Lim did write:

> OTOH how hard is it to always type in credit card numbers with no
> hyphens or spaces (less typing!) ?

Give the users the choice.