Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird email client a little insane

Thunderbird email client a little insane

Dave

Hi all,

I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something needs
to be done.
Any hints or tips would be great!

Thanks

Dave

Doug G

Dave wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something needs
> to be done.
> Any hints or tips would be great!
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Try dragging the edges of the panes to the desired position.

Dave

Doug G wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
>> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
>> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
>> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
>> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
>> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something
>> needs to be done.
>> Any hints or tips would be great!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

> Try dragging the edges of the panes to the desired position.

I did with no avail.
There's a pane under where the attachments are displayed which takes up
almost 25% of the window. It's fixed and will not change size or be
removed. It's almost like it's part of the frame of the client.

Dave

Leonidas Jones

Dave wrote:

> Doug G wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
>>> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
>>> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
>>> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
>>> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
>>> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something
>>> needs to be done.
>>> Any hints or tips would be great!
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave

>> Try dragging the edges of the panes to the desired position.

> I did with no avail.
> There's a pane under where the attachments are displayed which takes up
> almost 25% of the window. It's fixed and will not change size or be
> removed. It's almost like it's part of the frame of the client.
>
> Dave

With TB closed, navigate to your profile folder. Remove or rename the
file localstore.rdf. Restart TB.

Does this help?

Lee

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Dave wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something needs
> to be done.
> Any hints or tips would be great!
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

all your settings, prefs, mail, passwords, etc, are stored
in an area called the Thunderbird Profile. This profile is
separate from the program. When you uninstall the program,
all you're doing is removing the program, the profile is not
touched.

To find your profile, you can read this:
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate

but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

after you've found the profile, do what Lee suggested. When
you reopen the program, you will have to set everything to
your liking again.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Dave

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I setup my 85 year old fathers computer with thunderbird a year or so
>> ago and all has been fine until recently. The panes have changed size
>> and reading emails and attachments is pretty much useless.
>> I tried to uninstall and reinstall with no success, still the same.
>> Is there a way to totally uninstall then reinstall and start fresh?
>> I'd rather not loose all the old emails and folders, but something
>> needs to be done.
>> Any hints or tips would be great!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave

> all your settings, prefs, mail, passwords, etc, are stored in an area
> called the Thunderbird Profile. This profile is separate from the
> program. When you uninstall the program, all you're doing is removing
> the program, the profile is not touched.
>
> To find your profile, you can read this:
> http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...profile#locate
>
> but if you're using windows, then you must read this first:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx
>

> after you've found the profile, do what Lee suggested. When you reopen
> the program, you will have to set everything to your liking again.

Lee and Peter,

I'll give it a try, I'll be at his house on Saturday.
Thanks!!!!

Dave