Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Eclipse plugin from source code

Eclipse plugin from source code

navs

Hi All,

I am trying to make an Eclipse plugin for the Java software. I have
the source code of the software, i am not sure how to go about
building plugin for eclipse from the source code. I tried doing the
"convert the Project to plugin Project" but when I try to export as
*.jar it fails. Is there any good tutorial that can explain about how
to build eclipse plugin from the source code?...Please do let me know.
I am pretty much new to Java and eclipse.

Thanks
navs

Christian

navs schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to make an Eclipse plugin for the Java software. I have
> the source code of the software, i am not sure how to go about
> building plugin for eclipse from the source code. I tried doing the
> "convert the Project to plugin Project" but when I try to export as
> *.jar it fails. Is there any good tutorial that can explain about how
> to build eclipse plugin from the source code?...Please do let me know.
> I am pretty much new to Java and eclipse.
>
> Thanks
> navs

you don't export plugins as normal jars ...
they need some additional metdata .. (plugin.xml /manifest)

eclipse has a wizard to do this. Still if you don't know this I don't
see how you could have created a working plugin.
I would recommend you the Book eclipse Rich Client Platform from Jeff
McAffer an Jean-Michel Lemieux ..
It has a good tutorial on RCP and the plugin mechanism in general.
It might be what you are looking for.

Christian