Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Want to copy desktop from laptop to home computer desktop

Want to copy desktop from laptop to home computer desktop

Mel

I have a home computer and a laptop computer on a home wireless network both
running Windows XP.

I want to put the laptop "desktop" on the home computer desktop so I can
access it there. I've checked the laptop "desktop folder" and there is no
place to check to share. It tells me to drag the "desktop folder" to the
shared documents folder. I'm a little confused. Then what do I do to get
the laptop "desktop" to the home computer desktop.

Is there a simple step by step procedure for doing this?

Thank you

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
This type of operation is Not done by the network sharing.
It is the function of Remote Control.
Remote control can be done by using Windows XP Pro Remote Desktop.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx
Or (depending on the exact features that you need) by a free 3rd party
application like this.
http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a home computer and a laptop computer on a home wireless network
>both running Windows XP.
>
> I want to put the laptop "desktop" on the home computer desktop so I can
> access it there. I've checked the laptop "desktop folder" and there is no
> place to check to share. It tells me to drag the "desktop folder" to the
> shared documents folder. I'm a little confused. Then what do I do to get
> the laptop "desktop" to the home computer desktop.
>
> Is there a simple step by step procedure for doing this?
>
> Thank you

smlunatick

On Mar 15, 12:56*pm, "Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a home computer and a laptop computer on a home wireless network both
> running Windows XP.
>
> I want to put the laptop "desktop" on the home computer desktop so I can
> access it there. *I've checked the laptop "desktop folder" and there is no
> place to check to share. *It tells me to drag the "desktop folder" to the
> shared documents folder. *I'm a little confused. *Then what do I do to get
> the laptop "desktop" to the home computer desktop.
>
> Is there a simple step by step procedure for doing this?
>
> Thank you

Copy the desktop between the two (make the desktop be the same on both
when not directly connect to each other?)

Or, be able to use the laptop's desktop screen from the other
computers?

Mel

I want to be able to use the laptop's desktop screen from the other
computers. I am on a home wireless network.

"smlunatick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Mar 15, 12:56 pm, "Mel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a home computer and a laptop computer on a home wireless network
> both
> running Windows XP.
>
> I want to put the laptop "desktop" on the home computer desktop so I can
> access it there. I've checked the laptop "desktop folder" and there is no
> place to check to share. It tells me to drag the "desktop folder" to the
> shared documents folder. I'm a little confused. Then what do I do to get
> the laptop "desktop" to the home computer desktop.
>
> Is there a simple step by step procedure for doing this?
>
> Thank you

Copy the desktop between the two (make the desktop be the same on both
when not directly connect to each other?)

Or, be able to use the laptop's desktop screen from the other
computers?

MarkSatterfield MarkSatterfield is offline
Member
Location: Central Florida

Okay, I'm going to ask the same question a different way. Are you:

1) Trying to have a common desktop between both of the computers (I only know how to do this with domain controllers, and I don't know that I'd have a laptop as the domain controller), or

2) Trying to share the data that happens to be in the desktop folder on both computers?
** To answer #2,
a. Open Windows Explorer
b. Open C:
c. Open "Documents and Settings"
d. Open "Your Name" (whatever name you log in as under Windows)
e. Right click "Sharing and Security..."
f. Click "Share this folder"

You'll also have to open up your firewall on both sides. I don't know which firewall you are using, so I'll leave that up to you.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com/
http://mark.a.satterfield.googlepages.com/
http://satterfield.890m.com/

Last edited by MarkSatterfield; 03-18-2008 at 04:55 AM..