Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Shared Printer -- ACCESS DENIED

Shared Printer -- ACCESS DENIED

Jeff Strickland

I have a HP4L printer installed on a WinXP Home machine. I have a home
network that includes a Vista Home machine. The HP4L on the XP machine is
set up as a shared device.

The problem I can't get past is when I try to connect to the printer from
the Vista machine, I get an error message, ACCESS DENIED. I'm not sure where
the error is coming from.

I went into the Printer Properties and selected several of the driver
options, but XP protests that the selected drivers are not compatible with
the OS, and the process stops. XP Home only allows drivers that work with
XP, any other driver is rejected. Should I be loading the drivers directly
to the Vista machine?

The HP Website lists a Vista Driver for the printer.

I can see the printer from the Vista machine, I just cannot connect to it.
The network itself seem to be okay, when I am on the Vista machine, I can
navigate the XP machine and see the shared folders. And, I can send print
jobs from the XP machine to the printer attached to the Vista machine.

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsAFCj.362$i54.247@trnddc05...
>I have a HP4L printer installed on a WinXP Home machine. I have a home
>network that includes a Vista Home machine. The HP4L on the XP machine is
>set up as a shared device.
>
> The problem I can't get past is when I try to connect to the printer
> from the Vista machine, I get an error message, ACCESS DENIED. I'm not
> sure where the error is coming from.

<<snipped>>

Have you tried reversing so Vista local and HP is 'remote print"?
Just asking so don't get mad ..
Can you print to it from any OTHER pc on the network ? ( I'm checking
"Vista box" vs "XP box" has the issue).
Permissions on Vista / access rights etc ?

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsAFCj.362$i54.247@trnddc05...
>>I have a HP4L printer installed on a WinXP Home machine. I have a home
>>network that includes a Vista Home machine. The HP4L on the XP machine is
>>set up as a shared device.
>>
>> The problem I can't get past is when I try to connect to the printer from
>> the Vista machine, I get an error message, ACCESS DENIED. I'm not sure
>> where the error is coming from.

> <<snipped>>
>
> Have you tried reversing so Vista local and HP is 'remote print"?
> Just asking so don't get mad

You mean building the network so the printer is physically connected to the
Vista machine? No, I have not tired that. The Vista box has a printer on it
that I can see and connect to from the XP box.

..
> Can you print to it from any OTHER pc on the network ? ( I'm checking
> "Vista box" vs "XP box" has the issue).

The Vista machine can see other printers connected to XP machines. I have 5
machines, all are XP except 1. I'll have to check the mix of XP Pro and XP
Home to see if there is a problem between all XP or just some XP. (You have
set off a light in my head that Home is the problem.) I have constrained
this topic to Vista not connecting ot one of my machines, but the fact is
that there are other printers it will not connect to, but I don't care. The
reason I don't care is that each machine has an inkjet printer connected to
it, except one tht has a laser jet. I'm trying to teach my family to print
documents to the laserjet when they don't care about color, or the lack of
it. There is a certain test value in connecting to another inkjet printer
from the Vista box, and I have not explored that. I can connect the Vista
box to another printer connected to an XP Pro box, but I think the Vista box
balks at connecting to the printers on any of the XP Home machine. The
connection errors are different, but problems tend to follow along Vista and
XP Home lines. I'll have to investigate that.

Good call.

> Permissions on Vista / access rights etc ?

I can't tell if Vista or the XP is denying access. I can't see any
permission issues ON the XP box. I can't find any permissions on the Vista
box.

As a practical matter, why would Vista deny access from it to another? I
completely get why the other would deny access to Vista or some other box,
but I see no point in a box denying itself the ability to outside and look
for other stuff. You gotta 'splain me that one.

Keep in mind, I can "see" all of the printers and the various XP versions
from my Vista machine, I just cannot connect to the printers that are
visible. I get the Access Denied message from one connection, and another
error from a different connection.

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsAFCj.362$i54.247@trnddc05...
>>>I have a HP4L printer installed on a WinXP Home machine. I have a home
>>>network that includes a Vista Home machine. The HP4L on the XP machine
>>>is set up as a shared device.
>>>
>>> The problem I can't get past is when I try to connect to the printer
>>> from the Vista machine, I get an error message, ACCESS DENIED. I'm not
>>> sure where the error is coming from.

>> <<snipped>>
>> Can you print to it from any OTHER pc on the network ? ( I'm checking
>> "Vista box" vs "XP box" has the issue).

> There is a certain test value in connecting to another inkjet printer
> from the Vista box, and I have not explored that. I can connect the
> Vista box to another printer connected to an XP Pro box, but I think the
> Vista box balks at connecting to the printers on any of the XP Home
> machine. The connection errors are different, but problems tend to
> follow along Vista and XP Home lines. I'll have to investigate that.
>

>> Permissions on Vista / access rights etc ?

> I can't tell if Vista or the XP is denying access. I can't see any
> permission issues ON the XP box. I can't find any permissions on the
> Vista box.
>
> As a practical matter, why would Vista deny access from it to another? I
> completely get why the other would deny access to Vista or some other
> box, but I see no point in a box denying itself the ability to go
> outside and look for other stuff. You gotta 'splain me that one.
>
> Keep in mind, I can "see" all of the printers and the various XP
> versions from my Vista machine, I just cannot connect to the printers
> that are visible. I get the Access Denied message from one connection,
> and another error from a different connection.

Seeing the device is one thing.
Having the ability ( permission) to use it is another.
Firewall - Advanced Settings
File and Print sharing turned on for each box ?
Make all of your IP's / pc names exceptions to firewall rules.
It's a nuisance typing them all, but if you really want each to be able to
access with issues, do it.
To see security logging errors, enable ICMP on NICs Firewall.
Sorry, I'm on an XP box so can't walk you thru Vista screens.

On a totally different note, I have a Netgear "parallel to RJ45
connection" for a printer here that I occasionally network, so that the
local PC doesn't have to be turned on while using from another PC (
usually a laptop). The netgear ps101 is just a "fancy parallel port plug"
that goes into printer and an RJ45 cable goes from box to the router.
Here's a tech sheet:
When I/we're using laptops - pop it on and power up printer - it then is
just a device on the router ( note IP address of port to map it)
If you have an extra router port that might be the may to go.
No " Printer sharing" / permissions issues.
I didn't pay $60 .. more like $30 at a local used computer store, but even
at $60 if you have 6 PC's it might be worth it.

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Seeing the device is one thing.
> Having the ability ( permission) to use it is another.
> Firewall - Advanced Settings
> File and Print sharing turned on for each box ?
> Make all of your IP's / pc names exceptions to firewall rules.
> It's a nuisance typing them all, but if you really want each to be able to
> access with issues, do it.
> To see security logging errors, enable ICMP on NICs Firewall.
> Sorry, I'm on an XP box so can't walk you thru Vista screens.

Okay, but keep 'slpaining me stuff ...
Does the firewall block outbound traffic or inbound traffic? Sharing on a
machine means that stuff connected to that machine can be shared, not that
the machine can share stuff connected to other machines. Perhaps that is
where I am getting screwwed up.

The printer on the XP boxes are all shared, so that should let the Vista box
in to use the resource. Are you saying that I have to set up shares on the
Vista box so it can go out to get stuff from the XP boxes?

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> Seeing the device is one thing.
>> Having the ability ( permission) to use it is another.
>> Firewall - Advanced Settings
>> File and Print sharing turned on for each box ?
>> Make all of your IP's / pc names exceptions to firewall rules.
>> It's a nuisance typing them all, but if you really want each to be able
>> to access with issues, do it.
>> To see security logging errors, enable ICMP on NICs Firewall.
>> Sorry, I'm on an XP box so can't walk you thru Vista screens.
>>

> Okay, but keep 'slpaining me stuff ...
> Does the firewall block outbound traffic or inbound traffic? Sharing on
> a machine means that stuff connected to that machine can be shared, not
> that the machine can share stuff connected to other machines. Perhaps
> that is where I am getting screwed up.

For troubleshooting purposes disconnect from internet ( so 'nothing bad
can happen') and
Turn OFF firewall - on the XP box and the Vista box.
NOW does printer work ?
That's where I'd start. If not - leave firewalls off on both UNTIL things
work.
On each of these boxes, is it the same username / password for the account
you are using ?
Same Workgroup ?

Can you ping each PC from the other ?

Firewall does both. You don't know yet ( right ?) WHICH Pc is not
allowing you to print ( The XP box or the Vista box). Firewall -
Advanced - settings for ICMP allows you to list the available Internet
Control Message Protocols (ICMPs) that Internet Connection Firewall will
respond to. So, if you go in there and turn on a few items it will echo
back "what the problem is" and you'll then know WHICH box has ... a
permission error etc because you will get a failure reason.

If you haven't already tried, do a search on Google for this problem -
lots of answers there.
My Search = " xp vista printer sharing " and here's the first link I
got:

Walk thru that.

> The printer on the XP boxes are all shared, so that should let the Vista
> box in to use the resource. Are you saying that I have to set up shares
> on the Vista box so it can go out to get stuff from the XP boxes?

I meant the easy way to insure that you never have an issue is to make all
of your PCs exceptions to any firewall rule.
Did you check out your current XP Home/ XP Pro / Vista Home sharing
problems as you mentioned earlier ?
What is the result ?

If reply, please summarize again ( as I've been snipping) - I've done
"this" and my result is now "this".

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> Seeing the device is one thing.
>>> Having the ability ( permission) to use it is another.
>>> Firewall - Advanced Settings
>>> File and Print sharing turned on for each box ?
>>> Make all of your IP's / pc names exceptions to firewall rules.
>>> It's a nuisance typing them all, but if you really want each to be able
>>> to access with issues, do it.
>>> To see security logging errors, enable ICMP on NICs Firewall.
>>> Sorry, I'm on an XP box so can't walk you thru Vista screens.
>>>

>> Okay, but keep 'slpaining me stuff ...
>> Does the firewall block outbound traffic or inbound traffic? Sharing on a
>> machine means that stuff connected to that machine can be shared, not
>> that the machine can share stuff connected to other machines. Perhaps
>> that is where I am getting screwed up.

> For troubleshooting purposes disconnect from internet ( so 'nothing bad
> can happen') and
> Turn OFF firewall - on the XP box and the Vista box.
> NOW does printer work ?

No. I get the same error, Access Denied.

> That's where I'd start. If not - leave firewalls off on both UNTIL things
> work.
> On each of these boxes, is it the same username / password for the account
> you are using ?
> Same Workgroup ?

Same workgroup, no passwords.

I can pass files back and forth among all computers on the network, and the
XP boxes can all access the printers attached to each of the XP machines and
the Vista Machine. The Vista machine can connect to some printers but not
others. The printers that Vista connects to are all ink machines (some are
HP and one is an Epson), but the printer that Vista will not connect to is
an older laserjet.

> Can you ping each PC from the other ?

Yes.

> Firewall does both. You don't know yet ( right ?) WHICH Pc is not
> allowing you to print ( The XP box or the Vista box).

Correct, I don't know where the error is coming from. I can not tell if
Vista is blocking outbound traffic or is the XP box is blocking inbound.
Having said that, I can connect and print to the Vista box from the XP box,
and I can connect and print to the Vista box from all of the other XP boxes
ont he network.

I stated earlier that Vista is having trouble connecting to other printers
too, but that is not an accurate statement. It turns out the printer that
can not be connected to is not plugged into the computer it belongs to. The
computer is connected via wireless network (the Vista box is also on a
wireless), and my daughter moves it around her room. She currently has the
printer physically unplugged, and when it is plugged in, the Vista machine
connects properly. So, my Vista machine only has trouble connecting to one
printer on my network, but all other network features -- file sharing --
work fine.

Traffic is allowed in both directions among all of the machines on my
network. The only problem is my HP4L laserjet printer and my Vista Home
machine will not talk to each other. All other traffic will flow both ways
among all of the other machines, and the Vista machine will allow traffic in
both directions in all cases except that it will not talk to the mentioned
printer.

I'm going to look at the article you posted and see if it talks about my
problem.

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Okay, but keep 'slpaining me stuff ...
>>> Does the firewall block outbound traffic or inbound traffic? Sharing
>>> on a machine means that stuff connected to that machine can be
>>> shared, not that the machine can share stuff connected to other
>>> machines. Perhaps that is where I am getting screwed up.

>> For troubleshooting purposes disconnect from internet ( so 'nothing
>> bad can happen') and
>> Turn OFF firewall - on the XP box and the Vista box.
>> NOW does printer work ?

> No. I get the same error, Access Denied.
>

>> That's where I'd start. If not - leave firewalls off on both UNTIL
>> things work.
>> On each of these boxes, is it the same username / password for the
>> account you are using ?
>> Same Workgroup ?
>>

> Same workgroup, no passwords.
>
> I can pass files back and forth among all computers on the network,
> and the XP boxes can all access the printers attached to each of the
> XP machines and the Vista Machine. The Vista machine can connect to
> some printers but not others. The printers that Vista connects to are
> all ink machines (some are HP and one is an Epson), but the printer
> that Vista will not connect to is an older laserjet.
>

>> Can you ping each PC from the other ?
>>

> Yes.
>
>> Firewall does both. You don't know yet ( right ?) WHICH Pc is not
>> allowing you to print ( The XP box or the Vista box).

> Correct, I don't know where the error is coming from. I can not tell
> if Vista is blocking outbound traffic or is the XP box is blocking
> inbound. Having said that, I can connect and print to the Vista box
> from the XP box, and I can connect and print to the Vista box from all
> of the other XP boxes ont he network.
>
> I stated earlier that Vista is having trouble connecting to other
> printers too, but that is not an accurate statement. It turns out the
> printer that can not be connected to is not plugged into the computer
> it belongs to. The computer is connected via wireless network (the
> Vista box is also on a wireless), and my daughter moves it around her
> room. She currently has the printer physically unplugged, and when it
> is plugged in, the Vista machine connects properly. So, my Vista
> machine only has trouble connecting to one printer on my network, but
> all other network features -- file sharing -- work fine.
>
> Traffic is allowed in both directions among all of the machines on my
> network. The only problem is my HP4L laserjet printer and my Vista
> Home machine will not talk to each other.

This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista driver
for the HP4L.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:frmml9$lld$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Traffic is allowed in both directions among all of the machines on my
>> network. The only problem is my HP4L laserjet printer and my Vista
>> Home machine will not talk to each other.

> This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
> onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista driver
> for the HP4L.

Yes, well no. I loaded the driver and it made the printer look like a local
printer not a network printer. After loading the driver, the network would
still not connect to the printer. I have since deleted the local printer,
but have not taken the driver out (I right clicked the printer and selected
delete.)

>> All other traffic will flow
>> both ways among all of the other machines, and the Vista machine will
>> allow traffic in both directions in all cases except that it will not
>> talk to the mentioned printer.
>>
>> I'm going to look at the article you posted and see if it talks about
>> my problem.

I did all of the stuff on the article before I posted here. I did see other
similar kinds of reports -- Vista balks at connecting to network printers
tied to XP machines. I did not see my specific problem, but I saw a few
problems like mine. I just have to wade through all of the reports to see if
any of the fixes will work for me.

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:frmml9$lld$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Traffic is allowed in both directions among all of the machines on my
>>> network. The only problem is my HP4L laserjet printer and my Vista
>>> Home machine will not talk to each other.

>> This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
>> onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista driver
>> for the HP4L.
>>

> Yes, well no. I loaded the driver and it made the printer look like a
> local printer not a network printer. After loading the driver, the
> network would still not connect to the printer. I have since deleted the
> local printer, but have not taken the driver out (I right clicked the
> printer and selected delete.)
>
>>> All other traffic will flow
>>> both ways among all of the other machines, and the Vista machine will
>>> allow traffic in both directions in all cases except that it will not
>>> talk to the mentioned printer.
>>>
>>> I'm going to look at the article you posted and see if it talks about
>>> my problem.

> I did all of the stuff on the article before I posted here. I did see
> other similar kinds of reports -- Vista balks at connecting to network
> printers tied to XP machines. I did not see my specific problem, but I
> saw a few problems like mine. I just have to wade through all of the
> reports to see if any of the fixes will work for me.
>

>This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
>onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista driver
>for the HP4L.

>Best Regards:
> Baron.

Jeff,
I agree with Baron.

I've forgotten ... does this printer work OK if local to Vista box ?
I'm thinking - Vista is sending "one format of data" to PC and XP is
sharing it as another. Vista sends data - gets error back ( XP is saying "
WHAT ??" ) Make Vista format it as XP wants it ??? XP driver ???

I did a google search for
' vista HAL HP 4L '
and found old link at hp, so used CACHED copy at google to get to the
page/info.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...c00808536#ref5
Click on
HP LaserJet 4, 5, and 6 Series
and you'll see "#5": Read the NOTE.

Drivers for HP printers are included with the Microsoft Windows Vista
Operating System
HP has a Windows Vista driver solution available for your product. This
driver will enable your product's basic functions to work.
HP is committed to providing the best experience for HP products in the
Windows Vista operating environment.
You can conveniently find this driver in your Windows Vista operating
system, today.
At this time the driver will only be available on the Windows Vista
operating system through the "Add a Printer" wizard.
HP does not plan on placing this legacy driver on www.hp.com
NOTE: If your printer currently uses either a PCL5, PCL6 or
PostScript XP driver you may download the current XP driver from HP to
provide printing functionality. Windows Vista printing is very similar to
Windows XP and most print drivers supported in the XP environment for
LaserJet printers may also work in the Windows Vista operating system. If
you are using the new Windows Vista operating system on your PC you may
want consider an upgrade to a newer HP product that will work with
Microsoft's new Vista operating system.