Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Shared Printer -- ACCESS DENIED

Shared Printer -- ACCESS DENIED

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
>>onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista driver
>>for the HP4L.

>>Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> Jeff,
> I agree with Baron.
>
> I've forgotten ... does this printer work OK if local to Vista box ?
> I'm thinking - Vista is sending "one format of data" to PC and XP is
> sharing it as another. Vista sends data - gets error back ( XP is saying "
> WHAT ??" ) Make Vista format it as XP wants it ??? XP driver ???

I don't know the answer to that one. The printer works fine under XP, but
has never been connected to the Vista box.

I'm not getting a print error at print time, I'm getting the error during
Add New Printer. This is not an issue of the data stream being in the
correct format, unless the data stream you are talking about is the one that
goes across the network when a printer is added.

> I did a google search for
> ' vista HAL HP 4L '
> and found old link at hp, so used CACHED copy at google to get to the
> page/info.
>
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...c00808536#ref5
> Click on
> HP LaserJet 4, 5, and 6 Series
> and you'll see "#5": Read the NOTE.
>

> Drivers for HP printers are included with the Microsoft Windows Vista
> Operating System
> HP has a Windows Vista driver solution available for your product. This
> driver will enable your product's basic functions to work.
> HP is committed to providing the best experience for HP products in the
> Windows Vista operating environment.
> You can conveniently find this driver in your Windows Vista operating
> system, today.
> At this time the driver will only be available on the Windows Vista
> operating system through the "Add a Printer" wizard.
> HP does not plan on placing this legacy driver on www.hp.com
> NOTE: If your printer currently uses either a PCL5, PCL6 or
> PostScript XP driver you may download the current XP driver from HP to
> provide printing functionality. Windows Vista printing is very similar to
> Windows XP and most print drivers supported in the XP environment for
> LaserJet printers may also work in the Windows Vista operating system. If
> you are using the new Windows Vista operating system on your PC you may
> want consider an upgrade to a newer HP product that will work with
> Microsoft's new Vista operating system.

I think this NOTE says it all. My old printer just will not work. The only
way I can think of confirming this is to carry the printer to the Vista box
and connect it directly. Having said that, the loading driver for it into
Vista makes the printer appear as a local device so I suspect it will work
in that configuration.

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>

>>>This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
>>>onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista
>>>driver for the HP4L.

>>>Best Regards:
>>> Baron.

>> Jeff,
>> I agree with Baron.
>>
>> I've forgotten ... does this printer work OK if local to Vista box ?
>> I'm thinking - Vista is sending "one format of data" to PC and XP is
>> sharing it as another. Vista sends data - gets error back ( XP is
>> saying "
>> WHAT ??" ) Make Vista format it as XP wants it ??? XP driver ???
>>

> I don't know the answer to that one. The printer works fine under XP,
> but has never been connected to the Vista box.
>
> I'm not getting a print error at print time, I'm getting the error
> during Add New Printer. This is not an issue of the data stream being
> in the correct format, unless the data stream you are talking about is
> the one that goes across the network when a printer is added.
>

>> I did a google search for
>> ' vista HAL HP 4L '
>> and found old link at hp, so used CACHED copy at google to get to the
>> page/info.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...c00808536#ref5
>> Click on
>> HP LaserJet 4, 5, and 6 Series
>> and you'll see "#5": Read the NOTE.
>>

>> Drivers for HP printers are included with the Microsoft Windows Vista
>> Operating System
>> HP has a Windows Vista driver solution available for your product.
>> This driver will enable your product's basic functions to work.
>> HP is committed to providing the best experience for HP products in
>> the Windows Vista operating environment.
>> You can conveniently find this driver in your Windows Vista operating
>> system, today.
>> At this time the driver will only be available on the Windows Vista
>> operating system through the "Add a Printer" wizard.
>> HP does not plan on placing this legacy driver on www.hp.com
>> NOTE: If your printer currently uses either a PCL5, PCL6 or
>> PostScript XP driver you may download the current XP driver from HP
>> to provide printing functionality. Windows Vista printing is very
>> similar to Windows XP and most print drivers supported in the XP
>> environment for LaserJet printers may also work in the Windows Vista
>> operating system. If you are using the new Windows Vista operating
>> system on your PC you may want consider an upgrade to a newer HP
>> product that will work with Microsoft's new Vista operating system.
>>

> I think this NOTE says it all. My old printer just will not work. The
> only way I can think of confirming this is to carry the printer to the
> Vista box and connect it directly. Having said that, the loading
> driver for it into Vista makes the printer appear as a local device so
> I suspect it will work in that configuration.

It may be worth trying! At least then you will know whether Vista will
actually talk to it. If it does then there has got to be a
communication/network problem between Vista and XP.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>

>>>This sounds like a printer driver problem. Is the HP4L driver loaded
>>>onto Vista ? I would guess not since there may not be a Vista driver
>>>for the HP4L.

>>>Best Regards:
>>> Baron.

>> Jeff,
>> I agree with Baron.
>>
>> I've forgotten ... does this printer work OK if local to Vista box ?
>> I'm thinking - Vista is sending "one format of data" to PC and XP is
>> sharing it as another. Vista sends data - gets error back ( XP is
>> saying " WHAT ??" ) Make Vista format it as XP wants it ??? XP driver
>> ???
>>

> I don't know the answer to that one. The printer works fine under XP,
> but has never been connected to the Vista box.
>
> I'm not getting a print error at print time, I'm getting the error
> during Add New Printer. This is not an issue of the data stream being in
> the correct format, unless the data stream you are talking about is the
> one that goes across the network when a printer is added.
>

>> I did a google search for
>> ' vista HAL HP 4L '
>> and found old link at hp, so used CACHED copy at google to get to the
>> page/info.
>>
>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...c00808536#ref5
>> Click on
>> HP LaserJet 4, 5, and 6 Series
>> and you'll see "#5": Read the NOTE.
>>

>> Drivers for HP printers are included with the Microsoft Windows Vista
>> Operating System
>> HP has a Windows Vista driver solution available for your product. This
>> driver will enable your product's basic functions to work.
>> HP is committed to providing the best experience for HP products in the
>> Windows Vista operating environment.
>> You can conveniently find this driver in your Windows Vista operating
>> system, today.
>> At this time the driver will only be available on the Windows Vista
>> operating system through the "Add a Printer" wizard.
>> HP does not plan on placing this legacy driver on www.hp.com
>> NOTE: If your printer currently uses either a PCL5, PCL6 or
>> PostScript XP driver you may download the current XP driver from HP to
>> provide printing functionality. Windows Vista printing is very similar
>> to Windows XP and most print drivers supported in the XP environment
>> for LaserJet printers may also work in the Windows Vista operating
>> system. If you are using the new Windows Vista operating system on your
>> PC you may want consider an upgrade to a newer HP product that will
>> work with Microsoft's new Vista operating system.
>>

> I think this NOTE says it all. My old printer just will not work. The
> only way I can think of confirming this is to carry the printer to the
> Vista box and connect it directly. Having said that, the loading driver
> for it into Vista makes the printer appear as a local device so I
> suspect it will work in that configuration.

I read that note as saying: " go to hp.com and download latest XP driver "
( or copy yours from the XP PC to a floppy). Take that floppy to Vista PC.
Choose "Add a Printer", choose "Have disk". Insert floppy and use THAT (
XP) Driver for the printer on the Vista box. I think they are saying " it
should work "
" Windows Vista printing is very similar to Windows XP and most print
drivers supported in the XP environment for LaserJet printers may also
work in the Windows Vista operating system."

Try THAT.
Bobb

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> [...]

>>> LaserJet printers may also work in the Windows Vista operating system.
>>> If you are using the new Windows Vista operating system on your PC you
>>> may want consider an upgrade to a newer HP product that will work with
>>> Microsoft's new Vista operating system.
>>>

>> I think this NOTE says it all. My old printer just will not work. The
>> only way I can think of confirming this is to carry the printer to the
>> Vista box and connect it directly. Having said that, the loading driver
>> for it into Vista makes the printer appear as a local device so I suspect
>> it will work in that configuration.
>>

> I read that note as saying: " go to hp.com and download latest XP driver "
> ( or copy yours from the XP PC to a floppy). Take that floppy to Vista PC.
> Choose "Add a Printer", choose "Have disk". Insert floppy and use THAT (
> XP) Driver for the printer on the Vista box. I think they are saying " it

That process loads a local printer. I tried it already.

> " Windows Vista printing is very similar to Windows XP and most print
> drivers supported in the XP environment for LaserJet printers may also
> work in the Windows Vista operating system."

I think my trouble is the XP box is refusing to allow the Vista box to
connect to the printer. I don't understand why it is balking because I can
send files back and forth among all computers in the network, so the simple
act of creating a viable network has been accomplished.

>>> "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> I don't know the answer to that one. The printer works fine under XP,
>>> but has never been connected to the Vista box.
>>>
>>> I'm not getting a print error at print time, I'm getting the error
>>> during Add New Printer. This is not an issue of the data stream being
>>> in the correct format, unless the data stream you are talking about is
>>> the one that goes across the network when a printer is added.

>>> I think this NOTE says it all. My old printer just will not work. The
>>> only way I can think of confirming this is to carry the printer to the
>>> Vista box and connect it directly. Having said that, the loading
>>> driver for it into Vista makes the printer appear as a local device so
>>> I suspect it will work in that configuration.
>>>

>> I read that note as saying: " go to hp.com and download latest XP
>> driver " ( or copy yours from the XP PC to a floppy). Take that floppy
>> to Vista PC. Choose "Add a Printer", choose "Have disk". Insert floppy
>> and use THAT ( XP) Driver for the printer on the Vista box. I think
>> they are saying " it should work "

> That process loads a local printer. I tried it already.
>

>> " Windows Vista printing is very similar to Windows XP and most print
>> drivers supported in the XP environment for LaserJet printers may also
>> work in the Windows Vista operating system."
>>

> I think my trouble is the XP box is refusing to allow the Vista box to
> connect to the printer. I don't understand why it is balking because I
> can send files back and forth among all computers in the network, so the
> simple act of creating a viable network has been accomplished.

Just confirming ... if you are adding it as a local printer - don't
browse to the network , just
1. "add a printer".
2. Then choose the device from the drop-down/ or if not listed, then
browse to a floppy for the XP driver.
3. AFTER adding the printer as a local printer on the Vista box, you THEN
close those windows. ( Unless it WAS listed in Vista in which case let it
load, then UPDATE driver to be the XP driver)
4. Now check - does Vista have an HP4L listed as a local printer ? Great -
that's all we want right now. Check properties - enable sharing -
drivers - look OK ?
( just checking - no error when you enabled sharing - call it VISTA4L )
5. NOW, Add a printer - network and don't "browse" - specify the path
" \\xpbox\HP4L " or
' \\192.168.2.5\sharedname '

Normally, on a network the local PC takes care of 'which driver to load'
when a network PC connects. Obviously on an XP box, it would know of
XP,2000,NT,98 but not Vista.
( I'm sure the following it somewhere online explained better than I will
, but here goes...)
In your case, the XP box knows of XP and those other/older OS'es.
Vista connects and checks out the printer type, Xp sends the code for an
HP4L and Vista says "what's this?". For those other OS'es XP would then
load an additional version (the correct version for Win98 for example ) of
that driver. If that XP driver were already loaded onto the Vista box I
think it might work , since it would not need a download: Vista would see
code for HP4L and recognize it ( according to the HP note " Windows Vista
printing is very similar to Windows XP and most print drivers supported in
the XP environment for LaserJet printers may also work in the Windows
Vista operating system. ") HP is saying - "we don't have a new driver, but
we also won't give you an old driver .. if you want to try it on your own
it's up to you, but it should work."

So skip the BROWSING and load the XP driver onto the Vista box ( manually
if not there) and then map the printer.

If you have done all that, then last option is "does it work locally for
Vista box" ? ( can you get it local for a few minutes just to try ? ) If
THAT works and 'add network printer' does not, let us know as that's
networking and not a printer issue. ( Do others see a networked printer
called Vista4L ?)

Bobb

- Bobb -

I was there so copied links:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us
then on the XP box with the 4L as local, - choose
" Automatically check to see if your driver needs updating "

news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> [...]

> see code for HP4L and recognize it ( according to the HP note " Windows
> Vista printing is very similar to Windows XP and most print drivers
> supported in the XP environment for LaserJet printers may also work in
> the Windows Vista operating system. ") HP is saying - "we don't have a
> new driver, but we also won't give you an old driver .. if you want to
> try it on your own it's up to you, but it should work."
>
> So skip the BROWSING and load the XP driver onto the Vista box (
> manually if not there) and then map the printer.
>
> If you have done all that, then last option is "does it work locally for
> Vista box" ? ( can you get it local for a few minutes just to try ? ) If
> THAT works and 'add network printer' does not, let us know as that's
> networking and not a printer issue. ( Do others see a networked printer

Jeff Strickland

news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> Just confirming ... if you are adding it as a local printer - don't
> browse to the network , just
> 1. "add a printer".
> 2. Then choose the device from the drop-down/ or if not listed, then
> browse to a floppy for the XP driver.
> 3. AFTER adding the printer as a local printer on the Vista box, you THEN
> close those windows. ( Unless it WAS listed in Vista in which case let it
> load, then UPDATE driver to be the XP driver)
> 4. Now check - does Vista have an HP4L listed as a local printer ? Great -
> that's all we want right now. Check properties - enable sharing -
> drivers - look OK ?
> ( just checking - no error when you enabled sharing - call it VISTA4L )
> 5. NOW, Add a printer - network and don't "browse" - specify the path
> " \\xpbox\HP4L " or
> ' \\192.168.2.5\sharedname '

All of that is true. But, when I go to install the network printer, I browse
the network, find the printer, select it, and click OK. Immediately, I get
an error, ACCESS DENIED. The error is more verbose than that, but the bottom
line is access is denied and the rest does not matter for this discussion.

I have not tried to load the XP printer drivers into Vista. That's a good
idea. I did try to put the Vista driver into the XP box because I am aware
that the driver for a resource passes from the server to the client -- XP
will pass the driver to Vista because XP is playing the role of server and
Vista is a client. (the actual roles may be different, but I get the
picture) Anyway, the printer driver for Vista would not go into the XP box
because XP didn't like it.

In my scenario, access is denied long before there would be any reason to
look for a driver. I would expect a driver issue to throw up an error that
said the driver was incorrect, and the error I am getting is looking like a
permission issue that I don't understand.

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I was there so copied links:
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us
> then on the XP box with the 4L as local, - choose
> " Automatically check to see if your driver needs updating "

I have seen that message before, but it comes after the printer is
connected. That is, the client goes out and finds a printer on the network,
the protocols and handshakes all happen, and life is good. Then the message
comes up to look for an updated driver. In my problem, I search the network
for installed printers and make a selection, at the moment (within 2
seconds) I click OK, I get an error of ACCESS DENIED.

I have made a mistake here, I have lead you to think that only the HP4L
printer is affected. Sorry. The reality is the XP machine has virtual
printers -- the host of print-to-file printers that come with windows and
other applications (Acrobat Distiller) -- and they also deny access to the
Vista machine.

The Vista machine is denied access to all printers, both real and virtual,
that are connected to my machine. The Vista box can connect to the printers
on the other XP machines on my network. Whatever the problem is, it is
something to do with the particular arrangement of the Vista machine and the
XP machine that is denying access.

I am using Verizon FiOs, and all machines on my network are connected
wirelessly EXCEPT the XP box that is giving me trouble is connected directly
via hardwire. I'm beginning to wonder if my router is the problem. All
wireless machines can talk to each other and the hardwired machine, except
that one wireless machine cannot connect to a printer on a hardwired
machine. The ethernet cable comes into the router, and my computer is
connected to Port 1 while all of the other machines are connected via
wireless adaptor.

I can get into the router by using its IP address, and all machines are
visible -- I can ping any of machine from any other machine -- and this
leads me to believe my network is fully functional. I can't imagine why the
router would block access to the printer but not any other stuff.

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<<snipped>>

> I have made a mistake here, I have lead you to think that only the HP4L
> printer is affected. Sorry. The reality is the XP machine has virtual
> printers -- the host of print-to-file printers that come with windows
> and other applications (Acrobat Distiller) -- and they also deny access
> to the Vista machine.
>
> The Vista machine is denied access to all printers, both real and
> virtual, that are connected to my machine. The Vista box can connect to
> the printers on the other XP machines on my network. Whatever the
> problem is, it is something to do with the particular arrangement of the
> Vista machine and the XP machine that is denying access.
>
> I am using Verizon FiOs, and all machines on my network are connected
> wirelessly EXCEPT the XP box that is giving me trouble is connected
> directly via hardwire.

> I'm beginning to wonder if my router is the problem.

I think I mentioned this a while back, but
Same username/password on both boxes ?

Will XP print to the Vista box with the HP4L being served by the Vista box
?

For a test , can you steal a cable from another PC to make the HP4L local
(not wireless) to SOME box ?
See if you can get that printer to print ANYTHING locally on the Vista
box.
how about Acrobat distiller - can you load that on the Vista box and print
a page ??

Load SOME driver for the HP4L on the Vista box.
Move a cable to make it local to Vista box
Print a test page: Pass / Fail ??
If that passes, then
Wireless vs cabled to router?
Local/Remote
etc

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>

>> Just confirming ... if you are adding it as a local printer - don't
>> browse to the network , just
>> 1. "add a printer".
>> 2. Then choose the device from the drop-down/ or if not listed, then
>> browse to a floppy for the XP driver.
>> 3. AFTER adding the printer as a local printer on the Vista box, you
>> THEN close those windows. ( Unless it WAS listed in Vista in which
>> case let it load, then UPDATE driver to be the XP driver)
>> 4. Now check - does Vista have an HP4L listed as a local printer ?
>> Great - that's all we want right now. Check properties - enable
>> sharing - drivers - look OK ?
>> ( just checking - no error when you enabled sharing - call it VISTA4L
>> ) 5. NOW, Add a printer - network and don't "browse" - specify the
>> path " \\xpbox\HP4L " or
>> ' \\192.168.2.5\sharedname '
>>

> All of that is true. But, when I go to install the network printer, I
> browse the network, find the printer, select it, and click OK.
> Immediately, I get an error, ACCESS DENIED. The error is more verbose
> than that, but the bottom line is access is denied and the rest does
> not matter for this discussion.
>
> I have not tried to load the XP printer drivers into Vista. That's a
> good idea. I did try to put the Vista driver into the XP box because I
> am aware that the driver for a resource passes from the server to the
> client -- XP will pass the driver to Vista because XP is playing the
> role of server and Vista is a client. (the actual roles may be
> different, but I get the picture) Anyway, the printer driver for Vista
> would not go into the XP box because XP didn't like it.
>
> In my scenario, access is denied long before there would be any reason
> to look for a driver. I would expect a driver issue to throw up an
> error that said the driver was incorrect, and the error I am getting
> is looking like a permission issue that I don't understand.

Jeff,

Have you checked for a firewall issue ? Blocked port ? I don't know
what Visa uses for remote printing but its beginning to look like one.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.