Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > compiled DLL not copied to the server bin folder automatically

compiled DLL not copied to the server bin folder automatically

BH

I'm working on several ASP.NET projects at the same time. I have a separate
web server and each has its own solution folder on my local PC. The strange
thing I noticed is that one of the projects, when compiled in VS.NET,
doesn't automatically update the DLL on the server. Instead, the DLL just
sits in the VSWebCache on my local PC. However, the other projects I;m
working on don't have this problem. I have spent quite a bit of time trying
to figure out what causes this but to no avail. Could anyone help?

Thanks
Bob

S. Justin Gengo

Try selecting the reference to the dll in solution explorer - resources and
then view its properties. Is the "CopyLocal" property set to true?

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

Free Code Library At:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

"BH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm working on several ASP.NET projects at the same time. I have a

separate
> web server and each has its own solution folder on my local PC. The

strange
> thing I noticed is that one of the projects, when compiled in VS.NET,
> doesn't automatically update the DLL on the server. Instead, the DLL just
> sits in the VSWebCache on my local PC. However, the other projects I;m
> working on don't have this problem. I have spent quite a bit of time

trying
> to figure out what causes this but to no avail. Could anyone help?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

BH

Justin, I checked what you mentioned below. It's not the DLLs my project
references I'm talking about and I'm not using anything other than the .NET
framework DLLs.

It's the DLL output from this project that's not copied. That is, when you
compile an ASP.NET application, the enitre web application is compiled into
a DLL in the /bin folder, however, in one of my projects, the build process
in VS.NET doesn't automatically copy the newly compiled DLL to the server.

Thanks
Bob

"S. Justin Gengo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try selecting the reference to the dll in solution explorer - resources

and
> then view its properties. Is the "CopyLocal" property set to true?
>
> --
> S. Justin Gengo, MCP
> Web Developer / Programmer
>
> Free Code Library At:
> www.aboutfortunate.com
>
> "Out of chaos comes order."
> Nietzche
>

> "BH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm working on several ASP.NET projects at the same time. I have a

> separate
> > web server and each has its own solution folder on my local PC. The

> strange
> > thing I noticed is that one of the projects, when compiled in VS.NET,
> > doesn't automatically update the DLL on the server. Instead, the DLL

just
> > sits in the VSWebCache on my local PC. However, the other projects I;m
> > working on don't have this problem. I have spent quite a bit of time

> trying
> > to figure out what causes this but to no avail. Could anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bob

S. Justin Gengo

Ok, that's a new one to me. I have no idea why that would occur!

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

Free Code Library At:
www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzche

"BH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Justin, I checked what you mentioned below. It's not the DLLs my project
> references I'm talking about and I'm not using anything other than the

..NET
> framework DLLs.
>
> It's the DLL output from this project that's not copied. That is, when

you
> compile an ASP.NET application, the enitre web application is compiled

into
> a DLL in the /bin folder, however, in one of my projects, the build

process
> in VS.NET doesn't automatically copy the newly compiled DLL to the server.
>
> Thanks
> Bob
>
> "S. Justin Gengo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Try selecting the reference to the dll in solution explorer - resources

> and
> > then view its properties. Is the "CopyLocal" property set to true?
> >
> > --
> > S. Justin Gengo, MCP
> > Web Developer / Programmer
> >
> > Free Code Library At:
> > www.aboutfortunate.com
> >
> > "Out of chaos comes order."
> > Nietzche
> >

> > "BH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm working on several ASP.NET projects at the same time. I have a

> > separate
> > > web server and each has its own solution folder on my local PC. The

> > strange
> > > thing I noticed is that one of the projects, when compiled in VS.NET,
> > > doesn't automatically update the DLL on the server. Instead, the DLL

> just
> > > sits in the VSWebCache on my local PC. However, the other projects

I;m
> > > working on don't have this problem. I have spent quite a bit of time

> > trying
> > > to figure out what causes this but to no avail. Could anyone help?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Bob

sampsons

I had this same problem, it only occured in one Solution -- One that I
originally built using VS 2002, then opened in VS 2003.

I called Micosoft and even talked to a TECH!!! a real TECH!!!

Took a total of three days to come up with the only answer that worked -- I
unistalled VS, and the Framework then reinstalled them both.

A workaround that does work is to delete the .dll from Solution Explorer,
then build solution, new .dll will be placed in bin...

Severin