Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP newbie:question

VOIP newbie:question

Flyer

Ok, I have a PAP2-UK from broadbandbuyer, very quick service I might add,
and have configured line 1 for Draytel, and line 2 for Sipgate. With credit
on both providers, the Sipgate works flawlessly, but with the Draytel I have
outgoing ring ok, no incoming ring, and no audio whatsoever.
I'd also like to use a single phone for both accounts, but trying to make
sense of dial plans is giving me serious headaches!

anyone point me in the right directionf or both queries, google has thrown
up much, it seems Draytel with a PAP2isn't a common scenario.

P.

Woody

"Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I have a PAP2-UK from broadbandbuyer, very quick service I might
> add, and have configured line 1 for Draytel, and line 2 for Sipgate.
> With credit on both providers, the Sipgate works flawlessly, but with
> the Draytel I have outgoing ring ok, no incoming ring, and no audio
> whatsoever.
> I'd also like to use a single phone for both accounts, but trying to
> make sense of dial plans is giving me serious headaches!
>
> anyone point me in the right directionf or both queries, google has
> thrown up much, it seems Draytel with a PAP2isn't a common scenario.
>
> P.

Are you running it through a router? It may be that the necessary ports
are not being forwarded.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Flyer

"Woody" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GkgCj.3735$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, I have a PAP2-UK from broadbandbuyer, very quick service I might
>> add, and have configured line 1 for Draytel, and line 2 for Sipgate. With
>> credit on both providers, the Sipgate works flawlessly, but with the
>> Draytel I have outgoing ring ok, no incoming ring, and no audio
>> whatsoever.
>> I'd also like to use a single phone for both accounts, but trying to make
>> sense of dial plans is giving me serious headaches!
>>
>> anyone point me in the right directionf or both queries, google has
>> thrown up much, it seems Draytel with a PAP2isn't a common scenario.
>>
>> P.
>>

> Are you running it through a router? It may be that the necessary ports
> are not being forwarded.

All the correct ports are forwarded, the Sipgate connection works ok, the
Draytel one doesn't
Both lines are setup identically, apart from registration info, so the lack
of speech on the Draytel line is bugging me.

P.

Graham.

"Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I have a PAP2-UK from broadbandbuyer, very quick service I might add,
> and have configured line 1 for Draytel, and line 2 for Sipgate. With
> credit on both providers, the Sipgate works flawlessly, but with the
> Draytel I have outgoing ring ok, no incoming ring, and no audio
> whatsoever.
> I'd also like to use a single phone for both accounts, but trying to make
> sense of dial plans is giving me serious headaches!
>
> anyone point me in the right directionf or both queries, google has thrown
> up much, it seems Draytel with a PAP2isn't a common scenario.
>
> P.

The PAP2 is effectivly two ATA's in one box so you won't be able to
access both acounts through one port.
You should be able to point one half of the PAP2 to a Voxalot
account and put multiple providers into voxalot. Free for outgoing
calls, but you do need to buy "registrations" for your incoming "lines"

Mysipswitch is a similar service, and is completely free, but I haven't
been able to get it to work satisfactorily myself.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%

Jono

After serious thinking Flyer wrote :
> All the correct ports are forwarded,

And which are they?

If it isn't /always/, it's almost always, incorrect forwarding that
causes one-way or no-way audio issues.

Flyer

"Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:frc8nc$9dn$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, I have a PAP2-UK from broadbandbuyer, very quick service I might
>> add, and have configured line 1 for Draytel, and line 2 for Sipgate. With
>> credit on both providers, the Sipgate works flawlessly, but with the
>> Draytel I have outgoing ring ok, no incoming ring, and no audio
>> whatsoever.
>> I'd also like to use a single phone for both accounts, but trying to make
>> sense of dial plans is giving me serious headaches!
>>
>> anyone point me in the right directionf or both queries, google has
>> thrown up much, it seems Draytel with a PAP2isn't a common scenario.
>>
>> P.

> The PAP2 is effectivly two ATA's in one box so you won't be able to
> access both acounts through one port.
> You should be able to point one half of the PAP2 to a Voxalot
> account and put multiple providers into voxalot. Free for outgoing
> calls, but you do need to buy "registrations" for your incoming "lines"
>
> Mysipswitch is a similar service, and is completely free, but I haven't
> been able to get it to work satisfactorily myself.

Guess it's a trip to Tesco's for another cheapo DECT fone

P.

Flyer

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> After serious thinking Flyer wrote :
>> All the correct ports are forwarded,

> And which are they?
>
> If it isn't /always/, it's almost always, incorrect forwarding that causes
> one-way or no-way audio issues.

currently, 53,69,5060-5070 & 1000 - 20000, all UDP

P.

Roger

"Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:frc8nc$9dn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok, I have a PAP2-UK from broadbandbuyer, very quick service I might
>>> add, and have configured line 1 for Draytel, and line 2 for Sipgate.
>>> With credit on both providers, the Sipgate works flawlessly, but with
>>> the Draytel I have outgoing ring ok, no incoming ring, and no audio
>>> whatsoever.
>>> I'd also like to use a single phone for both accounts, but trying to
>>> make sense of dial plans is giving me serious headaches!
>>>
>>> anyone point me in the right directionf or both queries, google has
>>> thrown up much, it seems Draytel with a PAP2isn't a common scenario.
>>>
>>> P.

>> The PAP2 is effectivly two ATA's in one box so you won't be able to
>> access both acounts through one port.
>> You should be able to point one half of the PAP2 to a Voxalot
>> account and put multiple providers into voxalot. Free for outgoing
>> calls, but you do need to buy "registrations" for your incoming "lines"
>>
>> Mysipswitch is a similar service, and is completely free, but I haven't
>> been able to get it to work satisfactorily myself.
>>

> Guess it's a trip to Tesco's for another cheapo DECT fone
>
> P.

Are you using STUN? I found out with voip.co.uk and Sipgate, I had to
disbale STUN and use the outobound proxy instead on Sipgate in order to
elimnate these type or problems with the voip.co.uk account. You may want to
try this.

Flyer

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:frc8nc$9dn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>

>>> "Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> The PAP2 is effectivly two ATA's in one box so you won't be able to
>>> access both acounts through one port.
>>> You should be able to point one half of the PAP2 to a Voxalot
>>> account and put multiple providers into voxalot. Free for outgoing
>>> calls, but you do need to buy "registrations" for your incoming "lines"
>>>
>>> Mysipswitch is a similar service, and is completely free, but I haven't
>>> been able to get it to work satisfactorily myself.
>>>

>> Guess it's a trip to Tesco's for another cheapo DECT fone
>>
>> P.
>>

> Are you using STUN? I found out with voip.co.uk and Sipgate, I had to
> disbale STUN and use the outobound proxy instead on Sipgate in order to
> elimnate these type or problems with the voip.co.uk account. You may want
> to try this.

I dud have Stun set to "on", and I knew Draytel don't use Stun (but Sipgate
do), so I turned it off, but alas it didn't make any difference, but thanks
for the suggestion. Guess it's more fiddle with the settings time It's
odd that I can call out on the Draytel line, but incoming calls get a voice
message saying the number is unavailable. And there'sno speech on a
connected outbound call..it's bugging me now
I may just drop the Draytel, and stick with the Sipgate and put it down to
experience.

P.

Flyer

"Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Graham." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:frc8nc$9dn$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Guess it's a trip to Tesco's for another cheapo DECT fone
>>>
>>> P.
>>>

>> Are you using STUN? I found out with voip.co.uk and Sipgate, I had to
>> disbale STUN and use the outobound proxy instead on Sipgate in order to
>> elimnate these type or problems with the voip.co.uk account. You may want
>> to try this.

> I dud have Stun set to "on", and I knew Draytel don't use Stun (but
> Sipgate do), so I turned it off, but alas it didn't make any difference,
> but thanks for the suggestion. Guess it's more fiddle with the settings
> time It's odd that I can call out on the Draytel line, but incoming
> calls get a voice message saying the number is unavailable. And there'sno
> speech on a connected outbound call..it's bugging me now
> I may just drop the Draytel, and stick with the Sipgate and put it down to
> experience.
>
> P.

Gotcha ! or, if you prefer, Eureka! sussed it. After ploughing through
various forums & faq's, found the suggestion to set Subst VIA Addr to
yes,and put my WAN IP in the Ext IP box, and voila, my Draytel connection
now works perfectly

one happy bunny..

P.