Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Sharing printers final hurdle

Sharing printers final hurdle

Luis Ortega

I have been trying for over a week to get my new Mac Pro and my son's
PC to share files and printers with no luck.

(We use a Belkin pre-n wireless router. The Mac is connected via
ethernet cable and has a USB Canon printer connected to it. The PC
connects via a Belkin USB wireless n adapter and has USB Epson printer
connected to it. The PC runs Windows XP and the Mac Pro runs Leopard
10.5.2 and also has Windows XP on it via Bootcamp.)

I had no trouble getting printer and file sharing going between the
two computers when both are running Windows, but I could get nothing
to work when the Mac Pro was running OSX.
I tried everything that people on the forums and the Apple support
documents advised but with no success. Repeatedly.

Then yesterday I suddenly discovered that my son's PC was listed under
shared in Finder.
I tried printing from his computer to the printer on my Mac and it
worked.
I could now see his shared folders on my Mac.
Almost there!

Then when I tried to print from my Mac to the printer on his PC it
started printing- but not the test document I had sent.
It started printing out pages and pages of lines of text and characters.
I let it run for a while but it never stopped and I was afraid that it
would run out of ink so I turned off the printer to stop the printout.
I could not stop it from the printer window on my Mac because it said
the job was complete.
When I restarted the printer it stayed idle, but when I tried to print
my test page again the process started all over until I stopped it
again by turning off the printer.
The first few lines look like this:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0
%APL_DSC_Encoding: UTF8
%APLProducer: (Version 10.5.2 (Build 9C31) Quartz PS Context)
%%Title: (untitled)
%%Creator: (TextEdit: cgpdftops CUPS filter)

and so on. It was up to 5 pages of this when I stopped it.

The second time I tried, it started again printing the exact same
stuff until I stopped it.

Do I need to let it print its little heart out until it gets it out of
its system, or is this an error?

Can anyone please advise on what is going on and what I can do now to
get the final piece of my printer and file sharing setup to work?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Kurt

The MAC is sending a Postscript file to the printer. The driver you've
chosen is for a Postscript (rather than PCL or whatever language the
printer speaks. Either that, or you're sending a raw Postscript file.
With a MAC (or Linux, Unix, BSD, whatever), your best bet for sharing
files and printers with Windows is to use Samba. Macs might be easy to
run, but their networking tool are decidedly stone age. I'd bet there
are built-in GUI tools for configuring Samba, and a Samba client, too.

Kurt