Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > NAT/PAT cannot route from internal

NAT/PAT cannot route from internal

Paul

I host a webserver on my internal network. I use a PAT configuration set up on my Cisco 851 Router. It port forwards
HTTP traffic through the public interface to a webserver in my internal network. All HTTP connections from the
Internet get NAT'd to the webserver work perfectly.

Problem: When I try to navigate to the web site from a workstation on the internal network (192.168.1.101) I get a page
cannot be displayed error.

This seemed to work fine with my Linksys router previously but not Cisco.I think this is some NAT configuration issue.

I want connections from the internal network to behave the same way as users connectiing from the
Internet? And yes, I understand that I can use DNS but that is not an option this case. I want the router to NAT
connections the same way whether they are coming from the Internet or my internal network.

Is there a CLI command that can facilitate this? I know it used to work with my NetGear router.

Any assistance appreciated!

--Paul

Chad Mahoney

Paul wrote:
> I host a webserver on my internal network. I use a PAT configuration set up on my Cisco 851 Router. It port forwards
> HTTP traffic through the public interface to a webserver in my internal network. All HTTP connections from the
> Internet get NAT'd to the webserver work perfectly.
>
> Problem: When I try to navigate to the web site from a workstation on the internal network (192.168.1.101) I get a page
> cannot be displayed error.
>
> This seemed to work fine with my Linksys router previously but not Cisco.I think this is some NAT configuration issue.
>
> I want connections from the internal network to behave the same way as users connectiing from the
> Internet? And yes, I understand that I can use DNS but that is not an option this case. I want the router to NAT
> connections the same way whether they are coming from the Internet or my internal network.
>
> Is there a CLI command that can facilitate this? I know it used to work with my NetGear router.
>
> Any assistance appreciated!
>
> --Paul

In the PIX/ASA world you can use DNS doctoring.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...807968c8.shtml

Paul

Unfortunately, I don't have that option. But the article does a nice job of explaining the problem. Thanks.

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 13:33:15 -0400, Chad Mahoney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>> I host a webserver on my internal network. I use a PAT configuration set up on my Cisco 851 Router. It port forwards
>> HTTP traffic through the public interface to a webserver in my internal network. All HTTP connections from the
>> Internet get NAT'd to the webserver work perfectly.
>>
>> Problem: When I try to navigate to the web site from a workstation on the internal network (192.168.1.101) I get a page
>> cannot be displayed error.
>>
>> This seemed to work fine with my Linksys router previously but not Cisco.I think this is some NAT configuration issue.
>>
>> I want connections from the internal network to behave the same way as users connectiing from the
>> Internet? And yes, I understand that I can use DNS but that is not an option this case. I want the router to NAT
>> connections the same way whether they are coming from the Internet or my internal network.
>>
>> Is there a CLI command that can facilitate this? I know it used to work with my NetGear router.
>>
>> Any assistance appreciated!
>>
>> --Paul

>In the PIX/ASA world you can use DNS doctoring.
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...807968c8.shtml

Zakkas Zakkas is offline
Junior Member

If your DNS is setup correctly you should be able to go to the website name and DNS will resolve accorddingly for internal/external connections.