Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Cannot access BIOS on HP Pavillion a1610n

Re: Cannot access BIOS on HP Pavillion a1610n

Bruce

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
> To access BIOS try tapping F2 and Delete alternately as it starts up.It's
> usually one of those.
>
> Bruce
>

> "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I want to get to the BIOS on my HP Pavillion Desktop a1610n with Athlon
>>64X2 4200+, socket AM2, chipset GEForce 6150LE with ASUS MB name:A8M2N-LA,
>>HP MB name: NodusM3-GL8E.
>>
>> Hitting F1 during startup gets me to a number of things, but not the CMOS
>> / BIOS.
>>
>> I am running windowsxp, SP2 installed. All drivers up to date.
>>
>> Any ideas ?

Ritter 197

Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me to
BIOS.

"Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qp8Cj.2364$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
>> To access BIOS try tapping F2 and Delete alternately as it starts up.It's
>> usually one of those.
>>
>> Bruce
>>

>> "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>I want to get to the BIOS on my HP Pavillion Desktop a1610n with Athlon
>>>64X2 4200+, socket AM2, chipset GEForce 6150LE with ASUS MB
>>>name:A8M2N-LA, HP MB name: NodusM3-GL8E.
>>>
>>> Hitting F1 during startup gets me to a number of things, but not the
>>> CMOS / BIOS.
>>>
>>> I am running windowsxp, SP2 installed. All drivers up to date.
>>>
>>> Any ideas ?

Boscoe

"Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me to
> BIOS.

The key/key combination is usually displayed on the screen for a few seconds
after switch on. If you don't see this message consult your PC's operating
instructions or motherboard manual.

Baron

Ritter 197 wrote:

> Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me
> to BIOS.
>
> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qp8Cj.2364$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:...
>>> To access BIOS try tapping F2 and Delete alternately as it starts
>>> up.It's usually one of those.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

>>> "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

Try F10.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:frc7ao$11h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ritter 197 wrote:
>
>> Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me
>> to BIOS.
>>
>> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:qp8Cj.2364$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> Try F10.
> --

It's F1 on that machine. He has to press and hold F1 immediately after Power
ON.

Ritter 197

I tried F1 as stated before. THAT does NOT get me into the BIOS which I want
to set from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL.

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:frc7ao$11h$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ritter 197 wrote:
>>
>>> Hitting F1 or F@ or DEL or intermittently any of those does NOT get me
>>> to BIOS.
>>>
>>> "Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:qp8Cj.2364$(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> Try F10.
>> --

> It's F1 on that machine. He has to press and hold F1 immediately after
> Power ON.

Jeff Strickland

Does F1 do nothing, or just not what you want it to do?

F1 gets me into my a1610n and a1620n.

Maybe what I get is not what you are looking for.

"Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I tried F1 as stated before. THAT does NOT get me into the BIOS which I
>want to set from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL.
>

> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:frc7ao$11h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Try F10.
>>> --

>> It's F1 on that machine. He has to press and hold F1 immediately after
>> Power ON.

Ritter 197

I want to get to the BIOS and change it from Automatic to Manual.

> Does F1 do nothing, or just not what you want it to do?
>
> F1 gets me into my a1610n and a1620n.
>
> Maybe what I get is not what you are looking for.
>

> "Ritter 197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>I tried F1 as stated before. THAT does NOT get me into the BIOS which I
>>want to set from AUTOMATIC to MANUAL.
>>

>> "Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:frc7ao$11h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> It's F1 on that machine. He has to press and hold F1 immediately after
>>> Power ON.

johnnyzero johnnyzero is offline
Junior Member

After much trial-and-error, I finally figured out the solution for this common issue with certain HP Pavillion models. It turns out to be a design flaw with the front-panel memory card reader. Somehow the card reader's firmware gets scrambled, and it prevents the computer from booting. You can test this on your machine by temporarily disconnecting the card reader cable at the motherboard header. Voila - I'll bet you $1 that your computer will now boot!

The solution is buried deep inside this HP tech support document: h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/fastFaqLiteDocument?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=bph 07910#N575.

The card reader firmware needs to be reset.

Here\'s how to fix it once and for all:

1) With the computer power unplugged (duh), open up the case & disconnect the card reader cable at the card reader itself - NOT the end that connects to the motherboard header. Make sure the cable end is not touching any metal components before proceeding to step 2 (another duh).

2) With the cable still disconnected, fire up the computer. The tech support doc says to let it boot into Windows and stay there for about 5 minutes.

3) Shut the computer down and reconnect the cable to the card reader.

4) Turn your computer back on - your memory card reader will work and, most importantly, the computer will no longer hang at POST!

I suspect that when you fire up the computer without the cable connected, the card reader is designed to reset its firmware by grounding out through the case - sort of like a CMOS Reset jumper on a motherboard.

I hope this solution is helpful to others.

best,
JohnB