Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acer notebook BIOS password

Acer notebook BIOS password

Rgr

Model: Aspire 3690

Cannot boot it up as it is password protected in BIOS. I've cleared a
lot of BIOS passwords before including just recently an Acer laptop, but
this one has me stumped so far on how to do it. Google has been no help.
Anyone have any ideas?

The last Acer laptop I cleared the password on there was a tiny set of
microswitches under the keyboard. Just turn switch 3 on, try to boot
then turn it back off and I was in like Spitzer. I can't even find any
switches or jumpers in this damned thing.

why?

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:50:57 -0400, Rgr wrote:

>Model: Aspire 3690
>
>Cannot boot it up as it is password protected in BIOS. I've cleared a
>lot of BIOS passwords before including just recently an Acer laptop, but
>this one has me stumped so far on how to do it. Google has been no help.
>Anyone have any ideas?

Assuming you mean no help as in, the answers you found didn't work
rather than no answers

Perhaps repeating 1 option, remove CMOS battery for 20-30 minutes.

<snip>

Me

Rgr

why? wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:50:57 -0400, Rgr wrote:
>
>> Model: Aspire 3690
>>
>> Cannot boot it up as it is password protected in BIOS. I've cleared a
>> lot of BIOS passwords before including just recently an Acer laptop, but
>> this one has me stumped so far on how to do it. Google has been no help.
>> Anyone have any ideas?

> Assuming you mean no help as in, the answers you found didn't work
> rather than no answers
>
> Perhaps repeating 1 option, remove CMOS battery for 20-30 minutes.

No CMOS battery that I can find. I'm very much used to doing that or
using a clear CMOS jumper. If there's anything like that on this machine
I've not come across it. I've already got it laying here in many more
pieces than should have to be necessary for such a simple thing.

No help from Google means I was looking for help on this specific model,
all I could find were general hints on how to do it on laptops.

Bucky Breeder

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Model: Aspire 3690
>
> Cannot boot it up as it is password protected in BIOS. I've cleared a
> lot of BIOS passwords before including just recently an Acer laptop, but
> this one has me stumped so far on how to do it. Google has been no help.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> The last Acer laptop I cleared the password on there was a tiny set of
> microswitches under the keyboard. Just turn switch 3 on, try to boot
> then turn it back off and I was in like Spitzer. I can't even find any
> switches or jumpers in this damned thing.

If you cannot boot the Acer and don't want to send your computer back to
Acer for an unknown amount of time, you can try to reset the BIOS password
via hardware.

Tech FAQ Forum members have reported that they were able to remove their
Acer BIOS passwords by simply opening their notebooks and removing the CMOS
batteries for 30 minutes.

Once your BIOS password is removed, you will need to press the <F2> key
during POST (Power On Self Test) to enter the Acer BIOS setup.

--

My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

"Too bad the only people who know how to run the country
are busy driving cabs and cutting hair." --George Burns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/music/hallelujah.mp3

Bucky Breeder

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Model: Aspire 3690
>
> Cannot boot it up as it is password protected in BIOS. I've cleared a
> lot of BIOS passwords before including just recently an Acer laptop, but
> this one has me stumped so far on how to do it. Google has been no help.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> The last Acer laptop I cleared the password on there was a tiny set of
> microswitches under the keyboard. Just turn switch 3 on, try to boot
> then turn it back off and I was in like Spitzer. I can't even find any
> switches or jumpers in this damned thing.

Also:

http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/security/backdoor.html

--

My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

"Too bad the only people who know how to run the country
are busy driving cabs and cutting hair." --George Burns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/music/hallelujah.mp3

Mike Easter

Rgr wrote:

> No CMOS battery that I can find. I'm very much used to doing that or
> using a clear CMOS jumper. If there's anything like that on this
> machine I've not come across it. I've already got it laying here in
> many more pieces than should have to be necessary for such a simple
> thing.

"Just remember to clear the CMOS, the jumper is below the RAM on the
3690, bridged with a screw driver."
http://www.notebookforums.com/thread208129.html

--
Mike Easter

why?

On 12 Mar 2008 17:37:34 GMT, Bucky Breeder wrote:

>Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:YKCdnbIGFp9vlEXanZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@pghconnect. com:
>
>> Model: Aspire 3690
>>
>> Cannot boot it up as it is password protected in BIOS. I've cleared a
>> lot of BIOS passwords before including just recently an Acer laptop, but
>> this one has me stumped so far on how to do it. Google has been no help.
>> Anyone have any ideas?

<snip>

>Also:
>
>http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/security/backdoor.html

That's what I found, the stuff you and Mike E posted, hence my question
to Rgr. I assumed he would have found all those bits. Oh well.

Me

Mara

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:25:30 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>No CMOS battery that I can find. I'm very much used to doing that or
>using a clear CMOS jumper. If there's anything like that on this machine
>I've not come across it. I've already got it laying here in many more
>pieces than should have to be necessary for such a simple thing.
>
>No help from Google means I was looking for help on this specific model,
>all I could find were general hints on how to do it on laptops.

Have you tried the backdoor passwords?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/47...-acer-disgrace

--
A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
store saying "There's something wrong with it. *I keep hitting my

Rgr

Mara wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:25:30 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> No CMOS battery that I can find. I'm very much used to doing that or
>> using a clear CMOS jumper. If there's anything like that on this machine
>> I've not come across it. I've already got it laying here in many more
>> pieces than should have to be necessary for such a simple thing.
>>
>> No help from Google means I was looking for help on this specific model,
>> all I could find were general hints on how to do it on laptops.

> Have you tried the backdoor passwords?
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/47...-acer-disgrace

They don't work on laptops. Neither does removing any battery. However I
DO like it when you talk to me that way.

Mara

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:23:01 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mara wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:25:30 -0400, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> No CMOS battery that I can find. I'm very much used to doing that or
>>> using a clear CMOS jumper. If there's anything like that on this machine
>>> I've not come across it. I've already got it laying here in many more
>>> pieces than should have to be necessary for such a simple thing.
>>>
>>> No help from Google means I was looking for help on this specific model,
>>> all I could find were general hints on how to do it on laptops.

>> Have you tried the backdoor passwords?
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/47...-acer-disgrace

>They don't work on laptops. Neither does removing any battery. However I
>DO like it when you talk to me that way.

Did you find a CMOS jumper in there?

And shaddup, wisenheimer.