Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password protect a folder

Password protect a folder

PWB

I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

Jim

"PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%SSBj.1956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
>but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

>Right click on the folder you

want to protect with a
password.

Select "Send to compressed
(zipped) folder.

A new zipped folder will
appear on the desk top.

Open this folder then click
on "file" and add a password.

You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will only
open when you enter your password.
Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

Jim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%SSBj.1956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
>>but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

>>Right click on the folder you

> want to protect with a
> password.
>
> Select "Send to compressed
> (zipped) folder.
>
> A new zipped folder will
> appear on the desk top.
>
> Open this folder then click
> on "file" and add a password.
>
> You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will
> only open when you enter your password.
> Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

Should have said that the folder will open normally but you will have to
enter your password before you can open any of the files in it.

Piso Mojado

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%SSBj.1956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want
>>>anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

>>>Right click on the folder you

>> want to protect with a
>> password.
>>
>> Select "Send to compressed
>> (zipped) folder.
>>
>> A new zipped folder will
>> appear on the desk top.
>>
>> Open this folder then click
>> on "file" and add a password.
>>
>> You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will
>> only open when you enter your password.
>> Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

> Should have said that the folder will open normally but you will have to
> enter your password before you can open any of the files in it.

It depends on the operating system you have. Perhaps if you mention it, we
can help you....

why?

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:

>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
>but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

Might depend on the OS you are using.

Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
default. If you store files in your documents then other users won't be
allowed access, unless you allow it.

Otherwise search past posts in 24HSHD,
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics
password protecting folders is asked about, often enough to remember
there are questions about it.

43 results for
password protect folders

What do you know

Locking Down File Folder(s) in Win XP Pro
Password Protect Folders in XP - WorldStart Computer Tips and ... There
are two ways to password protect a folder built into Windows XP (for
other Windows ... Folder Guard - A commercial version of a password
protection software that enables you to password protect files, folders,
and other Windows resources. ...
Jan 22 by why? - 7 messages - 7 authors

There are 6 links in that post for apps.

Me

sdlomi2

"PWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%SSBj.1956$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
>but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

If it is a MS-Word doc, click Tools>Protect/Unprotect Document>...add
password into box provided. s

Desk Rabbit

PWB wrote:
> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want
> anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

Not password protected but a chmod 0700 on the directory should do it.
Only you will have access.

John Wunderlich

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:
>
>> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont
>> want anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please
>> TIA

> Might depend on the OS you are using.
>
> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

... or unless they have Admin priviledge
... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator
... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD
I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.

The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you
carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
data eventually.

My prefered solution is freeware Truecrypt which works with all flavors
of Windows 2000,XP,Vista, and Linux. Best freeware out there.

<http://www.truecrypt.org>

-- John

olfart

"John Wunderlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9A5F7F288FC73wunderpsdrscray@138.126.254.2 10...
> why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:
>>
>>> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont
>>> want anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please
>>> TIA

>> Might depend on the OS you are using.
>>
>> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
>> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
>> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

> ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
> ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator
> ... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD
> I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.
>
> The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
> System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
> 2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you
> carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
> data eventually.
>
> My prefered solution is freeware Truecrypt which works with all flavors
> of Windows 2000,XP,Vista, and Linux. Best freeware out there.
>
> <http://www.truecrypt.org>
>
> -- John

or a simple and free solution is Hide Folder
http://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolde...ide_folder.htm

sandy58

On Mar 12, 9:04 pm, "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "John Wunderlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:Xns9A5F7F288FC73wunderpsdrscray@138.126.254.2 10...
>

> > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> >> Might depend on the OS you are using.

> >> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
> >> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
> >> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

> > ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
> > ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator
> > ... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD
> > I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.

> > The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
> > System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
> > 2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you
> > carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
> > data eventually.

> > My prefered solution is freeware Truecrypt which works with all flavors
> > of Windows 2000,XP,Vista, and Linux. Best freeware out there.

> > <http://www.truecrypt.org>

> > -- John

> or a simple and free solution is Hide Folderhttp://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolder/free_hide_folder.htm

Thanks, olfart. Tidy & small.