Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Security for New Computer

Security for New Computer

Bogey Man

What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
better I'm all for that.

The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

Colin Barnhorst

If you have Vista x64 then Windows Defender is built in. If XP Pro x64 then
there is a 64bit version of Windows Defender you can use. AVG is fine. So
is Avast.

Next time please tell us what operating system you use.

"Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
> spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
> better I'm all for that.
>
> The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

Bogey Man

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have Vista x64 then Windows Defender is built in. If XP Pro x64
> then there is a 64bit version of Windows Defender you can use. AVG is
> fine. So is Avast.
>
> Next time please tell us what operating system you use.
>
> "Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
>> spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
>> better I'm all for that.
>>
>> The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

Sorry, forgot all about that.....stupid. I have Vista Home Premium 64.

Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

Colin Barnhorst

I have AVG running on Home Premium x64 and Avast running on Ultimate x64 and
both programs work fine.

"Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have Vista x64 then Windows Defender is built in. If XP Pro x64
>> then there is a 64bit version of Windows Defender you can use. AVG is
>> fine. So is Avast.
>>
>> Next time please tell us what operating system you use.
>>
>> "Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against
>>> malwar, spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is
>>> something better I'm all for that.
>>>
>>> The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

> Sorry, forgot all about that.....stupid. I have Vista Home Premium 64.
>
> Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

Mike M.

"Bogey Man" wrote:

> What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
> spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
> better I'm all for that.
>
> The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

I have AVG and Spy Bot search and Destroy from Safernetworking and it seems
to do the trick.
Good Luck-Mike

Chris Cowles

"Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

AVG does not allow updating virus signatures unless logged in with an administrator account. At least, that was true within the past year, and is why I ditched it. I had installed it on my kids' computers and they're not administrators. The AV signatures never got updated unless I logged in myself. Kinda dumb design.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

Bogey Man

news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have AVG running on Home Premium x64 and Avast running on Ultimate x64
>and both programs work fine.

Nice to hear as I just installed AVG. If I don't like it, well, I will try
the other<

> "Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> If you have Vista x64 then Windows Defender is built in. If XP Pro x64
>>> then there is a 64bit version of Windows Defender you can use. AVG is
>>> fine. So is Avast.
>>>
>>> Next time please tell us what operating system you use.
>>>
>>> "Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Sorry, forgot all about that.....stupid. I have Vista Home Premium 64.
>>
>> Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

Bogey Man

I will check out that Safernetworking....thanks

"Mike M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bogey Man" wrote:
>
>> What do you veteran 64 bit users recommend for protection against malwar,
>> spyware and antivirus? I have downloaded AVG but if there is something
>> better I'm all for that.
>>
>> The computer hasn't arrived yet so I am trying to prepare.

> I have AVG and Spy Bot search and Destroy from Safernetworking and it
> seems
> to do the trick.
> Good Luck-Mike

Bogey Man

"Chris Cowles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
"Bogey Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thank you. I have downloaded both AVG and Avast so will have to decide.

AVG does not allow updating virus signatures unless logged in with an
administrator account. At least, that was true within the past year, and is
why I ditched it. I had installed it on my kids' computers and they're not
administrators. The AV signatures never got updated unless I logged in
myself. Kinda dumb design.
--
Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL

I am the administrator and only user so I will see how that goes. Thanks
for the heads up.