Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > CPU/Motherboard Upgrade

CPU/Motherboard Upgrade

Jim Henriksen

I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.

I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do
so? I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive
as-is, turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64
when it comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

Colin Barnhorst

You will need to do a repair install to avoid having to reinstall your apps.
Sometimes a repair install does not work so back up everything first. You
will need a cd that is at the same service pack level as the installed OS so
if you are at SP2 on the hard drive make sure you have an XP Pro x64 cd with
SP2 integrated. You can make one by slipstreaming with nLite.
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

"Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
>version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.
>
> I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
> tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
> spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do so?
> I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive as-is,
> turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64 when it
> comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

Bill Patten

Jim,

You might also look at Acronis Echo Workstation with universal restore.
http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATICW/
It's about $100 but could be work it. Create an image of your existing
system and restore to the new system. No risk to your old system and pretty
straight forward. You can down load a demo, but I do not know how much of
this you can do with the demo.

I use Acronis Home , 9 10 and 11 but have not used Echo and no I am not
associated with them...

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
You will need to do a repair install to avoid having to reinstall your apps.
Sometimes a repair install does not work so back up everything first. You
will need a cd that is at the same service pack level as the installed OS so
if you are at SP2 on the hard drive make sure you have an XP Pro x64 cd with
SP2 integrated. You can make one by slipstreaming with nLite.
http://www.nliteos.com/guide/

"Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
>version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.
>
> I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
> tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
> spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do so?
> I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive as-is,
> turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64 when it
> comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

Charlie Russel - MVP

As Colin suggests, an inplace "repair install" is your best bet. But, _IF_
your new mobo and your old one are similar, (chipsets and such the same),
you _might_ get away with just replacing it and powering on. But honestly,
I'd be well prepared to have to do a repair install.

The one thing you don't have to worry about is moving from a single core to
a dual core. All x64 versions of Windows use a multi-processor kernel, so
you already have support for the second core.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
>version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.
>
> I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
> tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
> spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do so?
> I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive as-is,
> turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64 when it
> comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

Bill

Does the OEM license allow you to transfer x64 in this manner. It is my
understanding this is not allowed as the license is tied to the original
machine and the only time this is allowed is if replacing a defective MB
and/or CPU. Just a thought, not intended as a don't do it.

BullDawg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As Colin suggests, an inplace "repair install" is your best bet. But, _IF_
> your new mobo and your old one are similar, (chipsets and such the same),
> you _might_ get away with just replacing it and powering on. But honestly,
> I'd be well prepared to have to do a repair install.
>
> The one thing you don't have to worry about is moving from a single core
> to a dual core. All x64 versions of Windows use a multi-processor kernel,
> so you already have support for the second core.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
>>version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.
>>
>> I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
>> tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
>> spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do so?
>> I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive as-is,
>> turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64 when it
>> comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

Theo

If you read your EULA you will know for sure. My Win XP x64
EULA actually states I can install it 10 times. I assume
that means only one motherboard/system at a time, but I have
upgraded my system and not had any hassles about
re-activating it.

Type 'winver' in the Run box or at a Command Prompt and then
click on the link for the EULA Agreement.

Windows XP OEM EULA is different than the regular XP Home &
Pro OEM EULA.

Bill wrote:
> Does the OEM license allow you to transfer x64 in this manner. It is my
> understanding this is not allowed as the license is tied to the original
> machine and the only time this is allowed is if replacing a defective MB
> and/or CPU. Just a thought, not intended as a don't do it.
>
> BullDawg

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As Colin suggests, an inplace "repair install" is your best bet. But, _IF_
>> your new mobo and your old one are similar, (chipsets and such the same),
>> you _might_ get away with just replacing it and powering on. But honestly,
>> I'd be well prepared to have to do a repair install.
>>
>> The one thing you don't have to worry about is moving from a single core
>> to a dual core. All x64 versions of Windows use a multi-processor kernel,
>> so you already have support for the second core.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
>>> version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.
>>>
>>> I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
>>> tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
>>> spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do so?
>>> I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive as-is,
>>> turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64 when it
>>> comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

Colin Barnhorst

The XP Pro x64 Eula is not a typical OEM EULA that prohibits transfer to
another device. The XP64 EULA permits internal transfers and one external,
whatever "internal" and "external" mean. XP64 was released as a system
builder edition because of device driver issues but the intent does not
appear the same as with the 32bit OEM editions. Both the tranfer and
support issues are different. You cannot rely on labels like "OEM" to
determine what a license permits. You must read the EULA for the product
yourself.

"Bill" <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does the OEM license allow you to transfer x64 in this manner. It is my
> understanding this is not allowed as the license is tied to the original
> machine and the only time this is allowed is if replacing a defective MB
> and/or CPU. Just a thought, not intended as a don't do it.
>
> BullDawg

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As Colin suggests, an inplace "repair install" is your best bet. But,
>> _IF_ your new mobo and your old one are similar, (chipsets and such the
>> same), you _might_ get away with just replacing it and powering on. But
>> honestly, I'd be well prepared to have to do a repair install.
>>
>> The one thing you don't have to worry about is moving from a single core
>> to a dual core. All x64 versions of Windows use a multi-processor kernel,
>> so you already have support for the second core.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have been running XP-64 for two years. It is far and away the best
>>>version of Windows I have used. It's rock solid and responsive.
>>>
>>> I'd like to upgrade to a dual-core CPU and new motherboard, but I have
>>> tons of software installed on my current machine, and I don't want to
>>> spend three days upgrading. What's the quickest and safest way to do
>>> so? I could just rebuild my system, including the current hard drive
>>> as-is, turn on the power and hope for the best. How capable is XP-64
>>> when it comes to on-the-fly changes of CPUs and associated drivers, etc?

John Barnes

Yours may not be, but paragraph 1.2 on my XP64 specifically prohibits
transfer except as part of a computer transfer.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>>

>>> "Jim Henriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Sorry, John, but the EULA for XP Pro x64 (on
http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal...s/default.aspx)
states in section 4,

"4. TRANSFER-Internal. You may move the Product to a different Workstation
Computer. After the transfer, you
must completely remove the Product from the former Workstation Computer.
Transfer to Third Party. The initial
user of the Product may make a one-time transfer of the Product to another
end user. The transfer has to include
all component parts, media, printed materials, this EULA, and if applicable,
the Certificate of Authenticity. The
transfer may not be an indirect transfer, such as a consignment. Prior to
the transfer, the end user receiving the
transferred Product must agree to all the EULA terms. No Rental. You may not
rent, lease, lend or provide
commercial hosting services to third parties with the Product."

If you are quoting from a EULA on your cd it may have been superceded. It
may also matter if you are reading from an XP Pro x64 rtm or SP2 EULA since
EULAs do get updated at service pack releases if needed.

In any case, it is clear that a user is entitled to transfer XP Pro x64 to a
new computer.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yours may not be, but paragraph 1.2 on my XP64 specifically prohibits
> transfer except as part of a computer transfer.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The XP Pro x64 Eula is not a typical OEM EULA that prohibits transfer to
>> another device. The XP64 EULA permits internal transfers and one
>> external, whatever "internal" and "external" mean. XP64 was released as
>> a system builder edition because of device driver issues but the intent
>> does not appear the same as with the 32bit OEM editions. Both the
>> tranfer and support issues are different. You cannot rely on labels like
>> "OEM" to determine what a license permits. You must read the EULA for
>> the product yourself.
>>
>> "Bill" <eschol@remove_this.shinbiro.com> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does the OEM license allow you to transfer x64 in this manner. It is my
>>> understanding this is not allowed as the license is tied to the original
>>> machine and the only time this is allowed is if replacing a defective MB
>>> and/or CPU. Just a thought, not intended as a don't do it.
>>>
>>> BullDawg
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

I'm looking at the eula that installed with my copy of XP X64
OEM

1.2 SOFTWARE as a Component of the COMPUTER
- Transfer. This license may not be shared,
transferred to or used concurrently on
different computers. The SOFTWARE is licensed
with the COMPUTER as a single integrated
product and may only be used with the
COMPUTER. If the SOFTWARE is not accompanied
by HARDWARE, you may not use the SOFTWARE.
You may permanently transfer all of your
rights under this EULA only as part of a
permanent sale or transfer of the COMPUTER,
provided you retain no copies of the SOFTWARE.
If the SOFTWARE is an upgrade, any transfer
must also include all prior versions of the
SOFTWARE. This transfer must also include the
Certificate of Authenticity label. The
transfer may not be an indirect transfer,
such as a consignment. Prior to the transfer,
the end user receiving the Software must
agree to all the EULA terms.

Section 4 of my EULA

4. LIMITATIONS ON REVERSE ENGINEERING,
DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY. You may not
reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble
the Software, except and only to the extent
that such activity is expressly permitted by
applicable law notwithstanding this
limitation.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...