Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for HTML Editor/Validator

Looking for HTML Editor/Validator

MC

Hi,

Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?

I would like to validate/edit in the same window.

Thanks in advance!
MC

Chris Hughes

>Hi,
>
>Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?
>
>I would like to validate/edit in the same window.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>MC

TopStyle Pro is my choice. Not free.
--
Chris Hughes
"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds

MC

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.
I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
a poor job rendering the page correctly.
I am still looking.
MC

"Chris Hughes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6L+czaAP7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Hi,
>>
>>Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C
>>validations?
>>
>>I would like to validate/edit in the same window.
>>
>>Thanks in advance!
>>MC
>>

> TopStyle Pro is my choice. Not free.
> --
> Chris Hughes
> "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are
> two kinds
> of people in the world and those who don't."
> http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk

Travis Newbury

On Mar 12, 9:57 am, "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
> Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C validations?

You get what you pay for.

dorayme

In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:

> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

In what way?

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com>
writing in news:6e76a$47d7e133$471c8804$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> Are there any good free or cheap HTML editors that will do W3C
> validations?
>
> I would like to validate/edit in the same window.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> MC

You could try HTML-Kit [http://www.chami.com/html-kit], which has HTML-
Tidy included with it. Tidy is a lint checker, and not a real
validator, but it _will_ get you going, and can pretty your markup, if
you so desire. There are also a ton of plugins available (and you can
write your own), saves snippets and templates, and works with Top-Style
Lite for CSS. Oh, and it's free.

Since a lot of stuff I write is server side, I usually edit in HTML-Kit,
then open the rendered page in Opera and validate from there. You can
validate local files, or files that are on a server.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Chris Hughes

In message
<(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
>
>> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
>> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

>In what way?

Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default. Or you
can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g., Opera)
you have.
--
Chris Hughes
"There are two kinds of people in the world, those who believe there are two kinds
of people in the world and those who don't."
http://www.epicure.demon.co.uk

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Hughes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message
> <(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer
> >> does
> >> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

> >In what way?
> >

> Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
> the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default. Or you
> can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g., Opera)
> you have.

Not that I know much about it, but it is on this winbox someone
gave me and it enables me to change things in the css and html to
see how to fix the various things that IE 6 does to my best
efforts at website pages. Perhaps there is better?

--
dorayme

Ben C

On 2008-03-16, Chris Hughes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In message
><(E-Mail Removed)>, dorayme
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>In article <1dee$47dbc50c$471c8804$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "MC" <mica[removethis]@aisus.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I looked at this and TopStyle just does not cut it. The editor / viewer does
>>> a poor job rendering the page correctly.

>>In what way?
>>

> Yes -- I'd like to know that, too. As far as I know TopStyle Pro uses
> the rendering engine of your local version of MSIE by default.

That would explain why it does a poor job of rendering the page
correctly then.

> Or you can, as I often do, preview in whatever external browser (e.g.,
> Opera) you have.

This seems the obvious way to do things anyway-- why embed a browser
into a text editor?

MC

The page renders correctly in IE 7 but not in TopStyle.

In TopStyle, the page gets all jumbled up. One issue that is immediately
apparent, is that TopStyle seems to be scrunching up the width of the
viewing area so that text appears on top of text. This makes the pages
practically unreadable. This example is a complex 6 page form.

I would love to post you a sample but unfortunately its internal company
user content. This is as much as I can post:

9px; TEXT-ALIGN: left; Z-INDEX: 15; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial;
POSITION: absolute;">
City</span>
<input class="tx120UW" style="LEFT: 490px; WIDTH: 120px; TOP: 339px;
HEIGHT: 16px; POSITION: absolute; TEXT-ALIGN: left;" maxlength="40"
name='city' />

MC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...