Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > a Roguelike in Python

a Roguelike in Python

Mdonle@gmail.com

Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
the right place?

I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
and it says 'No Module named _curses'

Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

Gustavo DiPietro

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
> Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
> of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
> some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
> the right place?
>
> I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
> python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
> it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
> and it says 'No Module named _curses'
>
> Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

i made some pythonesque RL experiments myself. what you have
preinstalled is a wrapper for the actual library (that you need to
download saperately here http://adamv.com/dev/python/curses/ ).
iirc, just unzip & paste in your python/curses directory under Lib

Carl Banks

On Mar 12, 9:25 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
> of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
> some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
> the right place?
>
> I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
> python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
> it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
> and it says 'No Module named _curses'
>
> Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

Correct, curses is not provided on the Windows platform. I recall
that there were some third party attempts to implement curses
functionality on Windows; try Googling for it.

Even though it's typically used for graphical games, PyGame would be a
good way to make a cross-platform "text-mode" game. It should be
pretty straightforward to simulate a text mode terminal using a grid
of sprites. (There might even be some third-party text terminals out
there.)

Carl Banks

Patrick Mullen

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Carl Banks <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Even though it's typically used for graphical games, PyGame would be a
> good way to make a cross-platform "text-mode" game. It should be
> pretty straightforward to simulate a text mode terminal using a grid
> of sprites. (There might even be some third-party text terminals out
> there.)

This is a cool technique, and also gives the game designer a lot of
freedom in their representation. It can continue to look old school
while also letting you have icons where they may be appropriate, or
add an eye on your gridbug 'x' just for fun This technique was
used in phoenix from one of the pyweek competitions:
http://www.pyweek.org/e/Cursed/

By the way, that game emulates curses as well. If you go with pygame
display only, you are losing some compatibility as well, as it won't
run on textmode only systems. No roguelikes over ssh

andrei.avk@gmail.com

On Mar 12, 8:25*am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Seeing the 7DRL start up recently, i wanted to see what one was made
> of. Python is the language i'm most familiar with so i searched for
> some code to look at, but i couldn't find any. Can anyone direct me to
> the right place?
>
> I did some searching on what it would take to write a roguelike in
> python and it looked like the curses module would work perfectly, but
> it looks to me like it doesn't work in windows? I tried to import it
> and it says 'No Module named _curses'
>
> Sorry if all this sounds a bit noobish, it's only cause i am.

I made a very small basic roguelike, except that in it you control
the monsters instead of the hero. It uses curses so no worky in
windows.
Here:

http://silmarill.org/nodes/I,_monster_game.html

I later modified this game to control the hero and sometimes to ask
you multiple-choice questions from biology and other fields of
knowledge,
and based on your right/wrong answer it either makes a Hit for your HP
or gives you a small reward. If there's interest i can post that
updated
game too. Both are kind of buggy though.. -ak

Java roguelike game , source code elvish.healer@gmail.com Java 0 02-18-2013 08:17 PM
Roguelike project? Tim Mcd Ruby 40 11-11-2008 09:30 AM
Roguelike Dev Environment Questions mwoody@uymail.com C++ 2 01-14-2008 06:42 PM
Roguelike programmers needed rpgnethack@hotmail.com Python 10 09-19-2005 06:15 PM
WebRogue -- A roguelike based on a Python CGI server Will Stuyvesant Python 0 08-30-2003 09:38 PM

Advertisments