Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Concert photos

Concert photos

Dudley Hanks

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> Yep, concert photography is all about getting up close and personal.

>> In most cases, yes! He only needed three lenses, really two if he played
>> his cards right. A 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. An option 200/2 would have been
>> nice.

> Taking a 6 1/2 lb lens to shoot a club concert really isn't an option. I
> had a 30/1.4 and an 18-200.
>

>>> Besides, most musicians are hams and will play to the camera if you
>>> are in a good position...

>> Especially if you ask them before the show and make an offer they can't
>> refuse. These little tavern or corner pub concerts are easy to
>> prearrange to get some great shots.

> I am NOT sleeping with the bass player. I'll just bring a flash.

But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and executing
the light show. When you can integrate the light show into your photos, you
know you're getting there.

Dudley

Cynicor

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Rita Berkowitz wrote:

>>> In most cases, yes! He only needed three lenses, really two if he played
>>> his cards right. A 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. An option 200/2 would have been
>>> nice.

>> Taking a 6 1/2 lb lens to shoot a club concert really isn't an option. I
>> had a 30/1.4 and an 18-200.

>>> Especially if you ask them before the show and make an offer they can't
>>> refuse. These little tavern or corner pub concerts are easy to
>>> prearrange to get some great shots.

>> I am NOT sleeping with the bass player. I'll just bring a flash.

> But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and executing
> the light show. When you can integrate the light show into your photos, you
> know you're getting there.

It wasn't exactly ELO or Pink Floyd up there. There wasn't a big light show.

Dudley Hanks

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Taking a 6 1/2 lb lens to shoot a club concert really isn't an option. I
>>> had a 30/1.4 and an 18-200.

>>> I am NOT sleeping with the bass player. I'll just bring a flash.

>> But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and
>> executing the light show. When you can integrate the light show into
>> your photos, you know you're getting there.

> It wasn't exactly ELO or Pink Floyd up there. There wasn't a big light
> show.

Then, if you can do it without a flash, you really are getting there...

Matt Ion

Dudley Hanks wrote:

> But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and executing
> the light show. When you can integrate the light show into your photos, you
> know you're getting there.

Your typical pub/nightclub barely HAS lights, let alone a light SHOW.
At best most will have a dozen or so cans with three different colors of
gels set on some kind of automatic pattern.

Dudley Hanks

"Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fraa5n$5r1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>
>> But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and
>> executing the light show. When you can integrate the light show into
>> your photos, you know you're getting there.

> Your typical pub/nightclub barely HAS lights, let alone a light SHOW. At
> best most will have a dozen or so cans with three different colors of gels
> set on some kind of automatic pattern.

Sounds like more of a challenge than a single flash to me...

Rita Berkowitz

Dudley Hanks wrote:

>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>
>>> But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and
>>> executing the light show. When you can integrate the light show
>>> into your photos, you know you're getting there.

>> Your typical pub/nightclub barely HAS lights, let alone a light
>> SHOW. At best most will have a dozen or so cans with three different
>> colors of gels set on some kind of automatic pattern.

> Sounds like more of a challenge than a single flash to me...

Yep, that is what I told him earlier. His biggest challenge at the moment
is getting the flash off the camera. If he must use flash he would be
better suited to use several strategically placed SB800s/Pocket Wizards with
a Larry Thong LightBottle attached. Or his other option is to simply get a
D3. With the D3's insanely high ISO performance he could even get himself
an LED type flashlight that randomly generates different colors and bring
his own lightshow to the band. It all comes down to bringing the right
tools to the job. The D3 is that amazing!

Rita

Cynicor

Dudley Hanks wrote:
> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fraa5n$5r1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>
>>> But, flashes tend to ruin all the hard work put into planning and
>>> executing the light show. When you can integrate the light show into
>>> your photos, you know you're getting there.

>> Your typical pub/nightclub barely HAS lights, let alone a light SHOW. At
>> best most will have a dozen or so cans with three different colors of gels
>> set on some kind of automatic pattern.

> Sounds like more of a challenge than a single flash to me...

Someone actually posted videos from the show. This is the lighting. (And
no, those aren't all my flashes going off. Other people had them too -
you can tell which ones are doing the red-eye pre-flash.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBkvle8BSQ

Rita Berkowitz

Cynicor wrote:

>>> Your typical pub/nightclub barely HAS lights, let alone a light
>>> SHOW. At best most will have a dozen or so cans with three
>>> different colors of gels set on some kind of automatic pattern.

>> Sounds like more of a challenge than a single flash to me...

> Someone actually posted videos from the show. This is the lighting.
> (And no, those aren't all my flashes going off. Other people had them
> too - you can tell which ones are doing the red-eye pre-flash.
>
> http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBkvle8BSQ

Hell, that's bright! You need to take a pair of sunglasses to that concert.
That said, the lighting is beautiful and really adds to the emotion of the
concert. Any type of flash detracts from this immensely and totally
destroys the aura you would demand. Oh well, I'd leave the flash home.

Rita

Dudley Hanks

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Sounds like more of a challenge than a single flash to me...

>> Someone actually posted videos from the show. This is the lighting.
>> (And no, those aren't all my flashes going off. Other people had them
>> too - you can tell which ones are doing the red-eye pre-flash.
>>
>> http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBkvle8BSQ

> Hell, that's bright! You need to take a pair of sunglasses to that
> concert.
> That said, the lighting is beautiful and really adds to the emotion of the
> concert. Any type of flash detracts from this immensely and totally
> destroys the aura you would demand. Oh well, I'd leave the flash home.
>

> Rita

I learnt concert photography back in the days when film was either daylight,
tungsten or flourescent. Lighting sources didn't mix as well as they do
with digital. Flashes shot at a different temp than the light show, so you
either had to go with film that was balanced for your flash and then try to
overpower the stage lighting, or use film balanced for the show and leave
the flash at home.

I chose the latter because it gave more colourful results, and it didn't
interfere with the show. Besides, if you ever want to shoot in a stadium
that is holding 20,000++ fans in addition to yourself, you're going to have
to learn to shoot without a flash. The big bands don't like you messing
around with their effects.

Why not start small and get used to it.

Dudley

Dudley Hanks

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> "Matt Ion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fraa5n$5r1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Your typical pub/nightclub barely HAS lights, let alone a light SHOW. At
>>> best most will have a dozen or so cans with three different colors of
>>> gels set on some kind of automatic pattern.

>> Sounds like more of a challenge than a single flash to me...

> Someone actually posted videos from the show. This is the lighting. (And
> no, those aren't all my flashes going off. Other people had them too - you
> can tell which ones are doing the red-eye pre-flash.
>
> http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gKBkvle8BSQ

I'm sure red-eye is a real problem when you're shooting from the back corner
with a 200mm lens after consuming six or eight shooters...