Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Concert photos

Concert photos

Cynicor

I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.

British Sea Power
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...AK/3#262478326

Colourmusic
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...xiMB#262497207

Colourmusic is going to use a couple of my shots on their Web site - if
you go to a show at a club, there's a good chance you can talk to the
performers before or after the gig.

British Sea Power, of course, is the best band in the world today.
They'll be on Letterman tonight (Weds).

Rita Berkowitz

Cynicor wrote:

> I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.
>
> British Sea Power
> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...AK/3#262478326
>
> Colourmusic
> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...xiMB#262497207

Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows that
detract from the moment.

Rita

Cynicor

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>
>> I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.
>>
>> British Sea Power
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...AK/3#262478326
>>
>> Colourmusic
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...xiMB#262497207

> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows that
> detract from the moment.

Neeeeeever! All the pictures without flash are crap. I'd have to either
bring a MUCH larger lens, or kick the ISO up beyond 3200. I tried a
30/1.4, but couldn't get close enough for good face shots, even twenty
feet away. The contrast would completely blow out depending on what part
of the performer was lit at that moment.

Rita Berkowitz

Cynicor wrote:

>>> I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.
>>>
>>> British Sea Power
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...AK/3#262478326
>>>
>>> Colourmusic
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...xiMB#262497207

>> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows
>> that detract from the moment.

> Neeeeeever! All the pictures without flash are crap. I'd have to
> either bring a MUCH larger lens, or kick the ISO up beyond 3200. I
> tried a 30/1.4, but couldn't get close enough for good face shots,
> even twenty feet away. The contrast would completely blow out
> depending on what part of the performer was lit at that moment.

I can understand that, but if you *MUST* use flash you really need to get it
off the camera, way off. And add the Larry Thong LightBottle or some other
type of diffuser to soften the light and eliminate those shadows. You're
goal is to enhance the light of the environment, not replace it. I don't
know the feasibility for you to set up before the show and use Pocket
Wizards? If you can, strategically get those flash units up and out of the
way. While the pictures are good, I just don't get the feeling I'm at a
concert. As for the ISO 3200 and up, the D300 will add a nice nostalgic
film like grain to the pics, which will further enhance the aura of being
there. If it were me shooting that I would definitely use the D300's noise
to my advantage.

Rita

Matt Ion

Cynicor wrote:
> Rita Berkowitz wrote:
>> Cynicor wrote:
>>
>>> I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.
>>>
>>> British Sea Power
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...AK/3#262478326
>>>
>>> Colourmusic
>>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...xiMB#262497207

>> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows that
>> detract from the moment.

> Neeeeeever! All the pictures without flash are crap. I'd have to either
> bring a MUCH larger lens, or kick the ISO up beyond 3200. I tried a
> 30/1.4, but couldn't get close enough for good face shots, even twenty
> feet away. The contrast would completely blow out depending on what part
> of the performer was lit at that moment.

Yeah, flash is a necessary evil in a lot of clubs. I find the trick is
to use one with a tilt/swivel head, so I can angle it away from the
performers, sometimes with the aid of a reflector card, sometimes with a
diffuser. I find at least with my 300D and 420EX flash, the E-TTL can
be fooled by all the darkness on the stage and overexposes the
performers, so flash exposure compensation is really handy as well
(typically -1 FEV).

Check out a few of my live shots, if you're so inclined.
These are at clubs with very poor lighting:
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...AndWreckinCrew
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...tReignEntropia

These are clubs with much better lighting:
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy106/MuffgoatEntropia
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy106/ReEntryScarstruck
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...n04BuffaloClub

....and FOG! FOG is the saviour of concert shots (as long as it's not
overdone):
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...July2007Cheers
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...TheLamplighter
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...TheLamplighter
http://picasaweb.google.com/soundy10...TheLamplighter

RustYŠ

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.

They look good. My only niggle is that you have cropped them rather tight.
Pull back a little to show the action.

Dudley Hanks

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cynicor wrote:
>
>> I gave this another try last week - two bands in Seattle.
>>
>> British Sea Power
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...AK/3#262478326
>>
>> Colourmusic
>> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/44...xiMB#262497207

> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows that
> detract from the moment.
>

> Rita

Yep, concert photography is all about getting up close and personal.

Besides, most musicians are hams and will play to the camera if you are in a
good position...

Dudley

Rita Berkowitz

Dudley Hanks wrote:

>> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows
>> that detract from the moment.

> Yep, concert photography is all about getting up close and personal.

In most cases, yes! He only needed three lenses, really two if he played
his cards right. A 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. An option 200/2 would have been
nice.

> Besides, most musicians are hams and will play to the camera if you
> are in a good position...

Especially if you ask them before the show and make an offer they can't
refuse. These little tavern or corner pub concerts are easy to prearrange
to get some great shots.

Rita

Dudley Hanks

"Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>
>>> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows
>>> that detract from the moment.

>> Yep, concert photography is all about getting up close and personal.

> In most cases, yes! He only needed three lenses, really two if he played
> his cards right. A 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. An option 200/2 would have been
> nice.

It helps to have two bodies hanging around your neck. Then, just grab the
one with the best lens for the shot, and presto, on to the next shot.

>> Besides, most musicians are hams and will play to the camera if you
>> are in a good position...

> Especially if you ask them before the show and make an offer they can't
> refuse. These little tavern or corner pub concerts are easy to prearrange
> to get some great shots.

I found it very effective to chat with the manager / promoter and offer to
put advertising in local papers. Advertising means increased attendance,
which in turn means the band can demand more at succeeding performances.
Add a little cash to band members, and you're pretty much guarrantteed great
shots and, probably, a backstage pass if one is available.

> Rita

Dudley

Cynicor

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>
>>> Nice! But leave the flash home since it creates too many shadows
>>> that detract from the moment.

>> Yep, concert photography is all about getting up close and personal.

> In most cases, yes! He only needed three lenses, really two if he
> played his cards right. A 50/1.4 and 85/1.4. An option 200/2 would
> have been nice.

Taking a 6 1/2 lb lens to shoot a club concert really isn't an option. I
had a 30/1.4 and an 18-200.

>> Besides, most musicians are hams and will play to the camera if you
>> are in a good position...

> Especially if you ask them before the show and make an offer they can't
> refuse. These little tavern or corner pub concerts are easy to
> prearrange to get some great shots.

I am NOT sleeping with the bass player. I'll just bring a flash.