Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Another Newbie USB Hardware Question

Another Newbie USB Hardware Question

David Brown

John Devereux wrote:
> Chris H <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> In message <47d79490$0$14989$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Brown
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>>
>>> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low
>>> with his antisocial responses?

> On s.e.d.? I think I can safely say we've gone lower!

I didn't notice that the cross-posting to s.e.d. - that group has its
own special rules for behaviour!

> But I agree, it's pretty bad - the worst I can recall in
> comp.arch.embedded actually.

David Brown

Chris H wrote:
> In message <47d79490$0$14989$(E-Mail Removed)>, David Brown
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
>>> in USB chime in and actually answer my question?
>>>

>> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low with
>> his antisocial responses?

> Not quite... the new low is that I am going to have to publicly agree
> with you again
>
>> Paul Nospam clearly spent a fair amount giving you (Paul Quiller)
>> helpful advice, both in this thread and a previous thread. In both
>> threads, when you couldn't understand the help you were given, you
>> responded by insulting the poster. You don't just need to go back to
>> college and learn how to do electronics engineering (hint - it's not
>> just cutting and pasting from evaluation cards) - you need to go back
>> to kindergarten and learn how to play nicely with other children.

> This is getting more common. There have been a couple of threads where
> new people have also said I don't care about the social norms and
> "rules" of this group I am going to do my own thing and if you don't
> like it you can go away.
>
> It is one thing old hands arguing for a change but newbies who don't
> know how and why things have developed the way they have just seem to be
> diving in with no social graces at all. You can tell the don't get out
> enough because if they behaved that way in a bar they would be in
> hospital more than the bar!

As that great Glaswegian philosopher Billy Connolly says, "hingen's too
good for these people - it's a good kick up the arse they need".

Jeff Strickland

"David Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47d79490$0$14989$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Paul wrote:

> <snip>
>
>>> I'm all for helping you, but the thing is, this isn't how
>>> you approach engineering. You look at all the requirements,
>>> and then decide how the existing design meets those requirements,
>>> and which parts have to be changed. Or whether, in fact, the
>>> Colibri is so far removed from what you want to do, to be a
>>> poor starting point.
>>>

> <snip a lot of useful advice>
>
>>> Paul

>> Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
>> in USB chime in and actually answer my question?
>>

> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low with his
> antisocial responses?

I can't even tell what he wants to do. It looks like he is reinventing the
wheel. If I understand this right, all he needs is to go out and buy a USB
hub.

That, and to stop insulting people that give him far more information in a
response then he gives in a question.

Paul

On Mar 12, 2:09*am, David Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Paul wrote:

> <snip>
>
> >> I'm all for helping you, but the thing is, this isn't how
> >> you approach engineering. You look at all the requirements,
> >> and then decide how the existing design meets those requirements,
> >> and which parts have to be changed. Or whether, in fact, the
> >> Colibri is so far removed from what you want to do, to be a
> >> poor starting point.

> <snip a lot of useful advice>
>
> >> * * Paul

> > * * Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
> > in USB chime in and actually answer my question?

> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low with
> his antisocial responses?
>
> Paul Nospam clearly spent a fair amount giving you (Paul Quiller)
> helpful advice, both in this thread and a previous thread. *In both
> threads, when you couldn't understand the help you were given, you
> responded by insulting the poster. *You don't just need to go back to
> college and learn how to do electronics engineering (hint - it's not
> just cutting and pasting from evaluation cards) - you need to go back to
> kindergarten and learn how to play nicely with other children.

oh, so it's ok for the other Paul to insult me
with a huge "this isn't how you do engineering" lecture,
but i cannot insult him back for not answering/understanding my
question? F-that!

wrote:
> Paul wrote:

> <snip>
>
> >> I'm all for helping you, but the thing is, this isn't how
> >> you approach engineering. You look at all the requirements,
> >> and then decide how the existing design meets those requirements,
> >> and which parts have to be changed. Or whether, in fact, the
> >> Colibri is so far removed from what you want to do, to be a
> >> poor starting point.

> <snip a lot of useful advice>
>
> >> * * Paul

> > * * Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
> > in USB chime in and actually answer my question?

> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low with
> his antisocial responses?
>
> Paul Nospam clearly spent a fair amount giving you (Paul Quiller)
> helpful advice, both in this thread and a previous thread. *In both
> threads, when you couldn't understand the help you were given, you
> responded by insulting the poster. *You don't just need to go back to
> college and learn how to do electronics engineering (hint - it's not
> just cutting and pasting from evaluation cards) - you need to go back to
> kindergarten and learn how to play nicely with other children.

You write this as if you have NEVER copied and pasted
parts of someone else's design: TOTAL B.S.

I suppose you'll have me re-invent the wheel, too, eh?

Maybe you have the time to do that one......

CBFalconer

Paul wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

.... snip ...

>>> I'm all for helping you, but the thing is, this isn't how

.... snip ...

>> Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
>> in USB chime in and actually answer my question?

> Yes, you can use it.
>
> Next question.

There are at least two Pauls in this thread. It would be helpful
if one or more of them altered his name to include at least a last
name initial. Ignoring the politeness issue.

Try the download section.

Robert Adsett

In article <76b35986-297e-4900-b021-11b638817186
@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Paul says...
> On Mar 11, 7:38 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Paul wrote:
> > What happens with some switching converter designs, is the
> > designer poorly estimates the power requirements of the
> > load, and the switching converter is optimized for one
> > particular load point. Suddenly, the designer discovers
> > what a poor choice the thing is, because it is so close
> > to overload, or not being able to drive the load. I can't
> > speak to the AAT1275, and how well it does its job, but
> > adding a component like that to a design, increase the
> > "risk" factor.

> Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
> in USB chime in and actually answer my question?

They just did in detail.

Robert

David Brown

Paul wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2:09 am, David Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>> <snip>

>> <snip a lot of useful advice>

>>> Ok, now will someone with REAL knowledge/experience
>>> in USB chime in and actually answer my question?

>> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low with
>> his antisocial responses?
>>
>> Paul Nospam clearly spent a fair amount giving you (Paul Quiller)
>> helpful advice, both in this thread and a previous thread. In both
>> threads, when you couldn't understand the help you were given, you
>> responded by insulting the poster. You don't just need to go back to
>> college and learn how to do electronics engineering (hint - it's not
>> just cutting and pasting from evaluation cards) - you need to go back to
>> kindergarten and learn how to play nicely with other children.

> oh, so it's ok for the other Paul to insult me
> with a huge "this isn't how you do engineering" lecture,
> but i cannot insult him back for not answering/understanding my
> question? F-that!

Paul Nospam was giving helpful advice, based on what you wrote - your
suggestions were *not* how to do engineering. He wasn't insulting you -
he was stating the facts. The same applies to other helpful posters
(such as Andrew Smallshaw) on previous threads. These are experienced
engineers offering their time and knowledge to help a newcomer get
started. Your insults were petty, unprovoked and childish. If people
don't understand your questions, it is up to *you* to explain them more
clearly.

And even if Paul Nospam *had* insulted you, it's still OK for him but
not for you. He is the teacher in this thread - you are the humble
student. If accepting insults is the cost you have to pay to learn from
others to help *you* with *your* problem, then you have to put up with
that. If I post a question that makes me look like an idiot, and
someone calls me an idiot and tells me a better way to do things, then
I'm happy with that.

Paul

David Brown wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > On Mar 12, 2:09 am, David Brown <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >> <snip>

> >> <snip a lot of useful advice>

> >> Is it just me, or does this guy Paul Quiller represent a new low with
> >> his antisocial responses?
> >>
> >> Paul Nospam clearly spent a fair amount giving you (Paul Quiller)
> >> helpful advice, both in this thread and a previous thread. In both
> >> threads, when you couldn't understand the help you were given, you
> >> responded by insulting the poster. You don't just need to go back to
> >> college and learn how to do electronics engineering (hint - it's not
> >> just cutting and pasting from evaluation cards) - you need to go back to
> >> kindergarten and learn how to play nicely with other children.

> > oh, so it's ok for the other Paul to insult me
> > with a huge "this isn't how you do engineering" lecture,
> > but i cannot insult him back for not answering/understanding my
> > question? F-that!
> >

> Paul Nospam was giving helpful advice, based on what you wrote - your
> suggestions were *not* how to do engineering.

oh, there's only one way to engineer? Lemme guess,
YOUR WAY.

He wasn't insulting you -
> he was stating the facts. The same applies to other helpful posters
> (such as Andrew Smallshaw) on previous threads. These are experienced
> engineers offering their time and knowledge to help a newcomer get
> started. Your insults were petty, unprovoked and childish. If people
> don't understand your questions, it is up to *you* to explain them more
> clearly.
>
> And even if Paul Nospam *had* insulted you, it's still OK for him but
> not for you. He is the teacher in this thread - you are the humble
> student. If accepting insults is the cost you have to pay to learn from
> others to help *you* with *your* problem, then you have to put up with
> that. If I post a question that makes me look like an idiot, and
> someone calls me an idiot and tells me a better way to do things, then
> I'm happy with that.

BULLSH**.

Good teachers are respectful when teaching, always.

Assholes teaches first begin by telling the student how
dumb and foolish and stupid they are, THEN spout off....
usually without answering the question because they aren't
as knowledgable as they think!

This is why most engineers are afraid to ask questions:
THEY DON"T WANT TO LOOK BAD....THEY WANT TO APPEAR
ALL-KNOWING. BS!

Jeff Strickland

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> David Brown wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>> > oh, so it's ok for the other Paul to insult me
>> > with a huge "this isn't how you do engineering" lecture,
>> > but i cannot insult him back for not answering/understanding my
>> > question? F-that!
>> >

>> Paul Nospam was giving helpful advice, based on what you wrote - your
>> suggestions were *not* how to do engineering.

> oh, there's only one way to engineer? Lemme guess,
> YOUR WAY.
>

> He wasn't insulting you -
>> he was stating the facts. The same applies to other helpful posters
>> (such as Andrew Smallshaw) on previous threads. These are experienced
>> engineers offering their time and knowledge to help a newcomer get
>> started. Your insults were petty, unprovoked and childish. If people
>> don't understand your questions, it is up to *you* to explain them more
>> clearly.
>>
>> And even if Paul Nospam *had* insulted you, it's still OK for him but
>> not for you. He is the teacher in this thread - you are the humble
>> student. If accepting insults is the cost you have to pay to learn from
>> others to help *you* with *your* problem, then you have to put up with
>> that. If I post a question that makes me look like an idiot, and
>> someone calls me an idiot and tells me a better way to do things, then
>> I'm happy with that.

> BULLSH**.
>
> Good teachers are respectful when teaching, always.

You sir, are a complete idiot. USB by definition is a certain design, any
other design is not USB.

If you want a USB device to do a particular thing, it must do it within the
confines of the specification. The spec is widely available, and was given
to you. You might not like it, but it was given.

I don't know what you are trying to do, and don't care. But it strikes me,
and everybody else, that you asked a question then argued the answer is
wrong. You are the one lacking respect.

USB is a spec. The spec defines the pinouts on the various connectors by
signals that are carried and by physical size and shape. The spec says that
Pin 1 is always <whatever>, Pin 2 is <whatever>, and so on.

I don't even know what the question is, and I have arrived at the fact that
you are an idiot by the responses you have given to people that are trying
to help. Until you began hurling insults around, I did not think anybody was
dissing you.

Clearly the answer you received to your original post provided far more
information than your question gave, and your first response was,
<paraphrasing> "Okay, anybody that really knows want to take a stab at
this?" When the answer was very detailed. I read the question you posted,
and my instinct was that you need a USB hub -- all of the wheel-engineering
has already been done yet you appear to want to reinvent the wheel.