Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Jumpy mouse cursor?

Jumpy mouse cursor?

Grandpa Chuck

Recently I posted a question about why the mouse cursor becomes jumpy
and jittery after an hour or so on my wife's desk top computer. We are
using a Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard. I downloaded the latest
drivers and installed them last night. I rebooted and it worked just
fine. This morning after leaving the computer on all night it was back
to the same behavior. If I reboot or shut it down for a few minutes
and then boot up it is just fine for about the same time as before.
Then it does the same thing which makes it very difficult to get the
cursor over the icon we want to click on.

Anyone else experienced this and know what the problem may be?

Thanks for all you help. In the past you have been very helpful on
computer problems small and large.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

ChairMan

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Grandpa Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)>spewed forth:
> Recently I posted a question about why the mouse cursor becomes jumpy
> and jittery after an hour or so on my wife's desk top computer. We are
> using a Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard. I downloaded the latest
> drivers and installed them last night. I rebooted and it worked just
> fine. This morning after leaving the computer on all night it was back
> to the same behavior. If I reboot or shut it down for a few minutes
> and then boot up it is just fine for about the same time as before.
> Then it does the same thing which makes it very difficult to get the
> cursor over the icon we want to click on.
>
> Anyone else experienced this and know what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks for all you help. In the past you have been very helpful on
> computer problems small and large.

Are using a mouse pad?
If so is it a light color?
If it is try, a flat black piece of construction paper or something similar
and see if it improves
hth

Grandpa Chuck

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:46:00 -0500, "ChairMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Grandpa Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)>spewed forth:
>> Recently I posted a question about why the mouse cursor becomes jumpy
>> and jittery after an hour or so on my wife's desk top computer. We are
>> using a Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard. I downloaded the latest
>> drivers and installed them last night. I rebooted and it worked just
>> fine. This morning after leaving the computer on all night it was back
>> to the same behavior. If I reboot or shut it down for a few minutes
>> and then boot up it is just fine for about the same time as before.
>> Then it does the same thing which makes it very difficult to get the
>> cursor over the icon we want to click on.
>>
>> Anyone else experienced this and know what the problem may be?
>>
>> Thanks for all you help. In the past you have been very helpful on
>> computer problems small and large.

>Are using a mouse pad?
>If so is it a light color?
>If it is try, a flat black piece of construction paper or something similar
>and see if it improves
>hth

Yes, a dark purple one with a wrist rest on it. I will try the black
construction paper or my other mouse pad which is black on the
underside. However, I don't see why this might have the desired
effect.
--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

PeeCee

"Grandpa Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently I posted a question about why the mouse cursor becomes jumpy
> and jittery after an hour or so on my wife's desk top computer. We are
> using a Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard. I downloaded the latest
> drivers and installed them last night. I rebooted and it worked just
> fine. This morning after leaving the computer on all night it was back
> to the same behavior. If I reboot or shut it down for a few minutes
> and then boot up it is just fine for about the same time as before.
> Then it does the same thing which makes it very difficult to get the
> cursor over the icon we want to click on.
>
> Anyone else experienced this and know what the problem may be?
>
> Thanks for all you help. In the past you have been very helpful on
> computer problems small and large.
> --
>
> Grandpa Chuck
> -τΏτ-
> ~
>
> Please grant me:
> the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
> the courage to change the one that I can
> the wisdom to know that it is me

Your symptoms would suggest there is probably nothing wrong with the mouse
hardware.
What I would suggest is you look at what software is running in the
background.

Open Task Manager (right click the task bar and left click Task Manager) and
go to the Performance tab.
When the mouse is sticky I'll bet the CPU is running at 100% i.e. the PC is
so busy it can't move the mouse so it feels jumpy.
If this is so click on the Processes tab and find the process using all the
CPU time.
This should give you an idea of what program is causing the problems.
If the process name is obscure do a search for it on Google for what it
relates to.

Best
Paul

Shel-hed

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 23:39:18 GMT, Grandpa Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes, a dark purple one with a wrist rest on it. I will try the black
>construction paper or my other mouse pad which is black on the
>underside. However, I don't see why this might have the desired
>effect.

A mouse pad that is just one color can sometimes.mix up an optical mouse. Try
it on something with a pattern, like woodgrain or a newspaper.

Grandpa Chuck

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:28:04 +1300, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Grandpa Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Recently I posted a question about why the mouse cursor becomes jumpy
>> and jittery after an hour or so on my wife's desk top computer. We are
>> using a Microsoft optical mouse and keyboard. I downloaded the latest
>> drivers and installed them last night. I rebooted and it worked just
>> fine. This morning after leaving the computer on all night it was back
>> to the same behavior. If I reboot or shut it down for a few minutes
>> and then boot up it is just fine for about the same time as before.
>> Then it does the same thing which makes it very difficult to get the
>> cursor over the icon we want to click on.
>>
>> Anyone else experienced this and know what the problem may be?
>>
>> Thanks for all you help. In the past you have been very helpful on
>> computer problems small and large.
>> --
>>
>> Grandpa Chuck
>> -τΏτ-
>> ~
>>
>> Please grant me:
>> the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
>> the courage to change the one that I can
>> the wisdom to know that it is me

>Your symptoms would suggest there is probably nothing wrong with the mouse
>hardware.
>What I would suggest is you look at what software is running in the
>background.

It doesn't really matter whether it is our wallpaper or our screen
saver when happens to be our family photo file.

>Open Task Manager (right click the task bar and left click Task Manager) and
>go to the Performance tab.
>When the mouse is sticky I'll bet the CPU is running at 100% i.e. the PC is
>so busy it can't move the mouse so it feels jumpy.

I will give that a try the next time it acts up.
Too late tonight and this room is a bit too cool.

--

Grandpa Chuck
-τΏτ-

Please grant me:
the serenity to accept the people I cannot change
the courage to change the one that I can
the wisdom to know that it is me

Grandpa Chuck

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:28:04 +1300, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

It is doing it right now.

>Your symptoms would suggest there is probably nothing wrong with the mouse
>hardware.
>What I would suggest is you look at what software is running in the
>background.
>
>Open Task Manager (right click the task bar and left click Task Manager) and
>go to the Performance tab.
>When the mouse is sticky I'll bet the CPU is running at 100% i.e. the PC is
>so busy it can't move the mouse so it feels jumpy.

CPU usage is at 35%
PF usage is at 747MB

>If this is so click on the Processes tab and find the process using all the
>CPU time.
>This should give you an idea of what program is causing the problems.
>If the process name is obscure do a search for it on Google for what it
>relates to.

System Idle Process SYSTEM 03 to 06 16K
--

Grandpa Chuck