Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Windows NT backup Questions

Windows NT backup Questions

Hollywood0728

Is there a way to tell windows NT backup to keep backups for only 2 weeks,
then delete and start a new 2 week set of backups? Also when my incrementals
append to the same file, will they still be useable for restoration? Im use
to having 1 incremetal backup for each day on 1 tape, but now we have a huge
file server that we back stuff up to. Thanks in advance.

Dragon Without Wings

Use 2 different schedules and file names. Let's say you schedule a full
backup on week #1 with a file name Backup1, and another full backup on week
#2 with a file name Backup2. Schedule both of them to run once every two
weeks with this option selected: "Replace the data on the media with this
backup". With this in place, you will always have at least one set of good
backup in case one of the scheduled backup failed, and you will always have
no more than two sets of full backup on tape. About the incremental backup
with "Append this backup to the media" option selected, sure you will be able
to use it to restore the data, and of course it will use the same file name.
However, when you try to restor the data from the backup set, you will see
different set in the catalog media.