Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > how do i tell what connection type idsn and dialup and dsl etc

how do i tell what connection type idsn and dialup and dsl etc

judguy

..hi this may seem really simple but can someone please explain what what
system i am useing i.e modem dial up, isdn, cable dsl, 0-512, 512+,
1meg2meg,10meg,dsl(pppoe) etc. i ask this as ive just downloaded a program
that optimizes my connection and would like to try it.
ive got vigin media 4meg package from my computer ive got a wire that goes
into d-link di-524 wireless router. a wire from there into the wall (ive got
to have the set top box on for the internet to work. so any help would be
appricated. and any info on where i can find info on my connection
--
judguy

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
I think that Virgin Media is a Cable Internet service thus the MTU of the
computer should be 1500.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"judguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> .hi this may seem really simple but can someone please explain what what
> system i am useing i.e modem dial up, isdn, cable dsl, 0-512, 512+,
> 1meg2meg,10meg,dsl(pppoe) etc. i ask this as ive just downloaded a program
> that optimizes my connection and would like to try it.
> ive got vigin media 4meg package from my computer ive got a wire that goes
> into d-link di-524 wireless router. a wire from there into the wall (ive
> got
> to have the set top box on for the internet to work. so any help would be
> appricated. and any info on where i can find info on my connection
> --
> judguy

smlunatick

On Mar 11, 5:35*pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> I think that Virgin Media is a Cable Internet service thus the MTU of the
> computer should be 1500.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "judguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > .hi this may seem really simple but can someone please explain what what
> > system i am useing i.e modem dial up, isdn, cable dsl, 0-512, 512+,
> > 1meg2meg,10meg,dsl(pppoe) etc. i ask this as ive just downloaded a program
> > that optimizes my connection and would like to try it.
> > ive got vigin media 4meg package from my computer ive got a wire that goes
> > into d-link di-524 wireless router. a wire from there into the wall (ive
> > got
> > to have the set top box on for the internet to work. so any help would be
> > appricated. and any info on where i can find info on my connection
> > --
> > judguy- Hide quoted text -

Cable iInternet : uses COAX cable most of the time. Usaually
assigned IP address
from you service provider's DHCP system

Dail-up Internet : You are given a telephone number to dial before
you can get
Internet. You may hear the dial tones
during the dialing.

DSL -- This is the most complex service to determine without looking
at the service
contract.

Posibility of Static IP, Dynamic PPPoE or DHCP

Static IP: You are asigned an IP address and subnet mask
to be entered
directly into the network adapter /
router

PPPoE (or other variations)
Given a user account name and password to be
entered during
your connection process.

As for the speed, without reading your service contract, you can head
over to DSL Reports web site and maybe one of their "tools" might be
able to tell you your speed.

As for using a router, you will need a broadband Internet service
(Cable or DSL) since dial-up will be too slow.