Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > windows - problem deleting local website, just folder

windows - problem deleting local website, just folder

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

I have encountered a strange problem with windows xp.

As a demonstration.

Open IE, save website (file..saveas..web page complete)

So whereever you put it, you have something like this
"
11/03/2008 18:34 104,796 Google Groups.htm
11/03/2008 18:34 <DIR> Google Groups_files
"

However. This is the problem. When I delete one, it deletes the
other.

I can see why windows wants to do that.. But I don't want this
supposedly helpful behaviour.

I can work around it by renaming one of them.

But I want a proper fix. Anybody?

note- before I was betting a message saying if you delete one it will
"break it"(it didn't use that terminology but we know what it meant)
So I went ahead with it. But doing this a few times, I used the fact
that it also said I can choose not to get that message. So I did.
But now it deletes them both.

I don't want the message and I don't want it deleting both. I want it
to behave normally.

- Bobb -

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have encountered a strange problem with windows xp.
> As a demonstration.
> Open IE, save website (file..saveas..web page complete)
> So whereever you put it, you have something like this
> "
> 11/03/2008 18:34 104,796 Google Groups.htm
> 11/03/2008 18:34 <DIR> Google Groups_files
> "
> However. This is the problem. When I delete one, it deletes the
> other. I can see why windows wants to do that..
> But I don't want this supposedly helpful behaviour.
>
> I can work around it by renaming one of them.
>
> But I want a proper fix. Anybody?
> note- before I was betting a message saying if you delete one it will
> "break it"(it didn't use that terminology but we know what it meant)
> So I went ahead with it. But doing this a few times, I used the fact
> that it also said I can choose not to get that message. So I did.
> But now it deletes them both.
>
> I don't want the message and I don't want it deleting both.
> I want it to behave normally.

I also checked that "don't bother me again" box long ago.
Easy answer - ( vs renaming/clicking "yes I know" / moving etc)
If you have a LOT of them, delete the html icon/ the folder gets deleted
too ( as you state). Do that for all - now go to wastebasket and "sort by
type" - restore JUST the html files - the "folders" stay in trash.

Otherwise, open the current webpage Google Groups.htm

File - As Save
and if you do NOT want " as webpage"
"save as"
select
".htm only"
and give it a name.
Groups
results - groups.htm
Same name - you'll get "Overwrite?"
To check ( first few times maybe) when done,
open new, if as you like, then delete original.

I assume that you save the html file and don't need the "folder" ??
( He quietly asked... ) why "saving as webpage" if not both wanted ? In
future , maybe "Save as" .htm only ? Unless a page of pictures, the
"folder" often has useless little icons, etc. BTW, it is acting "normally
" BY deleting both ( you CHOSE one linked pair). If you DO want "the whole
page", I use "save as .mht" - then all in one file and less
filenames/clutter on pc. easier -IMHO
Bobb

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 29 Mar, 14:42, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I have encountered a strange problem with windows xp.
> > As a demonstration.
> > Open IE, save website (file..saveas..web page complete)
> > So whereever you put it, you have something like this
> > "
> > 11/03/2008 18:34 104,796 Google Groups.htm
> > 11/03/2008 18:34 <DIR> Google Groups_files
> > "
> > However. This is the problem. When I delete one, it deletes the
> > other. I can see why windows wants to do that..
> > But I don't want this supposedly helpful behaviour.

> > I can work around it by renaming one of them.

> > But I want a proper fix. Anybody?
> > note- before I was betting a message saying if you delete one it will
> > "break it"(it didn't use that terminology but we know what it meant)
> > So I went ahead with it. But doing this a few times, I used the fact
> > that it also said I can choose not to get that message. So I did.
> > But now it deletes them both.

> > I don't want the message and I don't want it deleting both.
> > I want it to behave normally.

following on from my question..

The fix is
from a window like "My Computer". (not from IE, since the menu is not
within IE)
Tools..Folder Options...View....Show both parts and manage them
individually.

The default, where when you delete one it delete the other, would be
one of the other 2 options.

The default is that if you have a folder blah_files and a file called
blah.htm (or blah.html), then the default is when you delete one it
deletes the other. (an exception is if you delete one from the
command prompt. There it deletes them individually.. So deleting from
the command prompt would be a workaround, but a workaround would be
unnecessary).

note- if you you weren`t trying to delete one. And you just wanted to
rename the folder(e.g. because of the long name), then know that even
with the default option allegedly "managing them as a pair". Renaming
the folder doesn`t change all references in the corresponding html
file.. You would have to. Open the html file in a browser and
view...source (so the file opens in a text editor) and find/replace .
And of course, renaming one does not rename the other.
The only way I see them being "managed as a pair", is in deletion! -
from within the windows GUI.

> I also checked that "don't bother me again" box long ago.
> Easy answer - ( vs renaming/clicking "yes I know" / moving etc)
> If you have a LOT of them, delete the html icon/ the folder gets deleted
> too ( as you state). Do that for all - now go to wastebasket and "sort by
> type" - restore JUST the html files - the "folders" stay in trash.

I notice that when you delete one, both go to the recycle bin. And you
can restore one. But that is more long winded than renaming one
and deleting the one you want to delete.

> Otherwise, open the current webpage Google Groups.htm
>
> File - As Save
> and if you do NOT want " as webpage"
> "save as"
> select
> ".htm only"
> and give it a name.
> Groups
> results - groups.htm

very concise there

> Same name - you'll get "Overwrite?"
> To check ( first few times maybe) when done,
> open new, if as you like, then delete original.

I just tried that for the hell of it. There was no checkbox. Is IE6
btw, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyhow. Fact is, if you have
a folder a_files and a file called a.htm (or a.html), then the
default is when you delete one it deletes the other. (an exception
is if you delete them from the command prompt. There it deletes them
individually).

And you haven`t explained what is going on behind the scenes.
Presumably eventually it stopped asking you to overwrite and started
to give the file a new name.

Again, that is a ridiculously long winded way to do it. Far quicker,
what I suggested in the original post, which was to rename the file.
Or to do file..save as, and give it a different name. But I was
looking for a fix not a longer workaround!

> I assume that you save the html file and don't need the "folder" ??
> ( He quietly asked... ) why "saving as webpage" if not both wanted ? In
> future , maybe "Save as" .htm only ? Unless a page of pictures, the
> "folder" often has useless little icons, etc. BTW, it is acting "normally
> " BY deleting both ( you CHOSE one linked pair). If you DO want "the whole
> page", I use "save as .mht" - then all in one file and less
> filenames/clutter on pc. easier -IMHO

Looking at how good this .mht thing is..
I just tried .mht The option is in Opera too so it`s not just an MS
Application Thing.

The icon it gave to the file did not match IE or MS Word or any app I
am familiar with. I double clicked it, it opened in MS Word, with
HTML all skewed. And crashed it.
That was with an mht file saved in IE.. Of something in www.google.com/groups
An mht file saved in Opera opened in both opera and IE though..

And (as with saving a webpage with opera.. It had a shorter name,
which is better)..

Given the experience with dot mht, I wouldn`t use it..

And with saving a webpage.. You can see the folder, at least you can
delete images there you don`t want if they are "too big" or just
unnecessary. (sometimes, you can even delete them without skewing the
webpage!).
And of course you can delete the folder too at a later date.. I am
not sure if .mht gives that option to delete things within it. MAYBE,
if opening the html in MS Word (viewing the html page like a browser
views html, but edittable).

- Bobb -

Sorry, I thought you were looking for "A" way to do it, so gave a few
simple ones. After reading your reply and seeing that you know how to get
around a PC, this is what you want:

Windows Explorer,
Tools
- Folder Options
- View
- Managing pairs of Web pages / folders
- click your choice.

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 31 Mar, 12:20, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> Sorry, I thought you were looking for "A" way to do it, so gave a few
> simple ones. After reading your reply *and seeing that you know how to get
> around a PC, this is what you want:
>
> Windows Explorer,
> Tools
> *- Folder Options
> - View
> - Managing pairs of *Web pages / folders
> * * *- click your choice.

<snip>

a)I already corrected you on that style.

You can be more concise

Tools...folder options...view....e.t.c.

b)I said that method already, after you failed to find it. I asked for
a fix. that is it. If you were aware of it and gave those lame answers
then you are a ****ing asshole and a ****ing idiot.