Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Database backup from a web browser

Database backup from a web browser

Tamer Ibrahim

Hi,
Can I backup & restore my sql server database from aspx page located on a
client machine ?
Thank You.

George Ter-Saakov

Sure you can .

use BACKUP DATABASE sql statement..

Just remember do not connect to the DB you want to back up. Connect to
master DB

George.

"Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> Can I backup & restore my sql server database from aspx page located on a
> client machine ?
> Thank You.

Tamer Ibrahim

Thank you for your reply.
How can I implment this?

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sure you can .
>

> use BACKUP DATABASE sql statement..
>
> Just remember do not connect to the DB you want to back up. Connect to
> master DB
>
> George.
>

> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> Can I backup & restore my sql server database from aspx page located on a
>> client machine ?
>> Thank You.

George Ter-Saakov

I am afraid you cant. If you asking this

George.

"Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uhV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your reply.
> How can I implment this?
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sure you can .
>>

>> use BACKUP DATABASE sql statement..
>>
>> Just remember do not connect to the DB you want to back up. Connect to
>> master DB
>>
>> George.
>>

>> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> Can I backup & restore my sql server database from aspx page located on
>>> a client machine ?
>>> Thank You.

Tamer Ibrahim

Sure I know how to backup and restore a db using sql server 2000 or 2005. Im
asking about how can I provide a web form, using asp.net 2.0, to the client
that can let him or her do the same task remotely?

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am afraid you cant. If you asking this
>
> George.
>

> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uhV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thank you for your reply.
>> How can I implment this?
>>
>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sure you can .
>>>

>>> use BACKUP DATABASE sql statement..
>>>
>>> Just remember do not connect to the DB you want to back up. Connect to
>>> master DB
>>>
>>> George.
>>>

>>> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

siccolo

On Mar 11, 10:53*am, "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sure I know how to backup and restore a db using sql server 2000 or 2005. Im
> asking about how can I provide a web form, using asp.net 2.0, to the client
> that can let him or her do the same task remotely?
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> >I am afraid you cant. If you asking this

> > George.

> > "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:uhV$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Thank you for your reply.
> >> How can I implment this?

> >> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

take a look at my article at
http://www.siccolo.com/Articles/Code..._Database.html

... more at http://www.siccolo.com/articles.asp

George Ter-Saakov

I am not sure what is your question? What exactly is your problem?
"How do i write an application?" is not a question we can help with (except
may be with the answer "hire a programmer")

Can you make a web form that runs "UPDATE" or "SELECT" statement?

If you can then just replace "UPDATE" with "BACKUP DATABASE" and change your
connection string to connect to master database....

If you can not then you will need to go to http://asp.net/learn/ and learn
how to make a web form...

George.

"Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sure I know how to backup and restore a db using sql server 2000 or 2005.
> Im asking about how can I provide a web form, using asp.net 2.0, to the
> client that can let him or her do the same task remotely?
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am afraid you cant. If you asking this
>>
>> George.
>>

>> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uhV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thank you for your reply.
>>> How can I implment this?
>>>
>>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

msnews.microsoft.com

If I would hire a programmer, I will not hire such a rude person like you
for sure.
Don't help me again when I ask something else here.

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not sure what is your question? What exactly is your problem?
> "How do i write an application?" is not a question we can help with
> (except may be with the answer "hire a programmer")
>
> Can you make a web form that runs "UPDATE" or "SELECT" statement?
>
> If you can then just replace "UPDATE" with "BACKUP DATABASE" and change
> your connection string to connect to master database....
>
> If you can not then you will need to go to http://asp.net/learn/ and learn
> how to make a web form...
>

> George.
>

> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sure I know how to backup and restore a db using sql server 2000 or 2005.
>> Im asking about how can I provide a web form, using asp.net 2.0, to the
>> client that can let him or her do the same task remotely?
>>
>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am afraid you cant. If you asking this
>>>
>>> George.
>>>

>>> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:uhV$(E-Mail Removed)...

George Ter-Saakov

Sorry that I was rude. I just tried to be truthful.
More painful, but usually works better and faster than half measures.

George.

"msnews.microsoft.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I would hire a programmer, I will not hire such a rude person like you
> for sure.
> Don't help me again when I ask something else here.
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am not sure what is your question? What exactly is your problem?
>> "How do i write an application?" is not a question we can help with
>> (except may be with the answer "hire a programmer")
>>
>> Can you make a web form that runs "UPDATE" or "SELECT" statement?
>>
>> If you can then just replace "UPDATE" with "BACKUP DATABASE" and change
>> your connection string to connect to master database....
>>
>> If you can not then you will need to go to http://asp.net/learn/ and
>> learn how to make a web form...
>>

>> George.
>>

>> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Sure I know how to backup and restore a db using sql server 2000 or
>>> 2005. Im asking about how can I provide a web form, using asp.net 2.0,
>>> to the client that can let him or her do the same task remotely?
>>>
>>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Duy Lam

Tamer Ibrahim wrote:
> Sure I know how to backup and restore a db using sql server 2000 or 2005. Im
> asking about how can I provide a web form, using asp.net 2.0, to the client
> that can let him or her do the same task remotely?
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am afraid you cant. If you asking this
>>
>> George.
>>

>> "Tamer Ibrahim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uhV$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thank you for your reply.
>>> How can I implment this?
>>>
>>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

In simplicity, you just create a web form with a button and catch click
event. Then in event handler method, you use classes like SqlConnection,
SqlCommand to execute sql statement. Your done!

--
Thanks,
Duy Lam Phuong