Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to deploy ASP.NET Apps

How to deploy ASP.NET Apps

Nus Pieds

Hi,

I create and develop my ASP.NET apps locally on my PC,
which is running IIS. Now I want to deploy those apps on
another web server (application run-time only), so what
exactly are the steps?

The target web server is a User Test web server which has
the .NET Framework only, no VS .NET of course. My first
attempt was to copy the bin directory and the .ASPX files
and that initially worked until I invoked a feature in my
app, which creates an Access database. That feature
rquires ADODB.DLL, and it was not on the User Test web
server, so the application crashed.

What are the steps in deploying a web app from a dev
server to a run-time server? Besides the bin directory,
how do I know and how can I ensure that all the dependent
files are also deployed?

Thanks,

NP

Nus Pieds

Indeed it does! Thanks a lot.

Much appreciated,

NP

Nus Pieds

Thanks, Steve.

I just tried it and that does the trick! I've seen that
menu option before, but I never clicked it because I took
it to only literally mean just a copy (i.e., duplicate).

But even in the online help, I looked up Deploying
Projects in the index and did not find a reference to Copy
Project.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

NP

Project..." menu item.
>Select it, and a nice friendly dialog box pops up with

instructions and help
>links and the works.
>
>--
>I hope this helps,
>Steve C. Orr, MCSD
>http://Steve.Orr.net
>

>"Nus Pieds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:0ba301c34b13$7047c780$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I create and develop my ASP.NET apps locally on my PC,
>> which is running IIS. Now I want to deploy those apps

on
>> another web server (application run-time only), so what
>> exactly are the steps?
>>
>> The target web server is a User Test web server which

has
>> the .NET Framework only, no VS .NET of course. My first
>> attempt was to copy the bin directory and the .ASPX

files
>> and that initially worked until I invoked a feature in

my
>> app, which creates an Access database. That feature
>> rquires ADODB.DLL, and it was not on the User Test web
>> server, so the application crashed.
>>
>> What are the steps in deploying a web app from a dev
>> server to a run-time server? Besides the bin directory,
>> how do I know and how can I ensure that all the

dependent
>> files are also deployed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> NP

>.

Chris Jackson

Even better than copy project, in my opinion, is the fact that you can
create an MSI file to install a web site on a server. My admins love just
getting a single file which deploys a site completely and accurately every
time.

--
Chris Jackson
Software Engineer
"Nus Pieds" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0ba301c34b13$7047c780$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I create and develop my ASP.NET apps locally on my PC,
> which is running IIS. Now I want to deploy those apps on
> another web server (application run-time only), so what
> exactly are the steps?
>
> The target web server is a User Test web server which has
> the .NET Framework only, no VS .NET of course. My first
> attempt was to copy the bin directory and the .ASPX files
> and that initially worked until I invoked a feature in my
> app, which creates an Access database. That feature
> rquires ADODB.DLL, and it was not on the User Test web
> server, so the application crashed.
>
> What are the steps in deploying a web app from a dev
> server to a run-time server? Besides the bin directory,
> how do I know and how can I ensure that all the dependent
> files are also deployed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> NP

Deploy won't deploy Masterpage.master GaryDean ASP .Net 1 04-14-2009 01:50 AM
Deploy a .NET apps raghu1 ASP .Net 2 05-25-2006 12:40 PM
How to deploy 2 distinct ASP.NET apps with one in V.Dir and one in site root news.microsoft.com ASP .Net 8 05-23-2006 08:33 AM
What's the tool to use to deploy web-based apps? Alan ASP General 1 07-23-2003 03:23 PM
Anyone using Perl to develop and deploy MS Windows apps? Stefan Fischerländer Perl Misc 3 07-22-2003 08:34 PM

Advertisments