Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN (Non AD Environment)?

How to connect WinXP to a printer that is directly on the LAN (Non AD Environment)?

Alan

Hi All,

I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
machine to a printer that is on the LAN?

The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
IP of 192.168.1.104.

The printer is an HP PSC 2350.

I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
manually without having to install all the other rubbish?

If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
the issue.

If I go to Printers, add Printer, I get two options:

1) Local printer attached to this computer
2) A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer

I choose (2).

Next I get:

1) Find a printer in the directory

Presumably for when I am on a domain with Active Directory or
something similar.

2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
option and click next)

I can type a 'name' into the box and the example is:
\\server\printer
I guess that is for when I am connecting to a printer that is attached
to another computer or at least installed on that computer like a
print server. That would mean I would have to have that other
computer always on for the printer to work?

3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network

I can type a URL into the box.
The example is:
http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer
This seems like my best bet, but what would I put in the box??

Help maintain my sanity, even if I lose my self respect as I suspect I
am going to kick myself!

Thanks,
--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

thingy

Hi,

jetdirect'ing it on port 9100

regards

Thing

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
> machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
>
> The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
> IP of 192.168.1.104.
>
> The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
>
> I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
> the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
> manually without having to install all the other rubbish?
>
> If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
> without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
> the issue.
>
> If I go to Printers, add Printer, I get two options:
>
> 1) Local printer attached to this computer
> 2) A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer
>
> I choose (2).
>
> Next I get:
>

> 1) Find a printer in the directory
>
> Presumably for when I am on a domain with Active Directory or
> something similar.
>

> 2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
> option and click next)
>
> I can type a 'name' into the box and the example is:
> \\server\printer
> I guess that is for when I am connecting to a printer that is attached
> to another computer or at least installed on that computer like a
> print server. That would mean I would have to have that other
> computer always on for the printer to work?
>

> 3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
>
> I can type a URL into the box.
> The example is:
> http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer
> This seems like my best bet, but what would I put in the box??
>

> Help maintain my sanity, even if I lose my self respect as I suspect I
> am going to kick myself!
>
> Thanks,

Alan

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> jetdirect'ing it on port 9100
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Hi Thing,

Thanks for the reply - But I don't get it.

Which of those three options do I have to go for?

1) Find a printer in the directory

2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
option and click next)

3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Bobs

Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer on the
wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to create
a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job done.

http://support.uchicago.edu/docs/misc/windows/printing/

Here you go.

Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
> machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
>
> The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
> IP of 192.168.1.104.
>
> The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
>
> I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
> the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
> manually without having to install all the other rubbish?
>
> If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
> without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
> the issue.
>
> If I go to Printers, add Printer, I get two options:
>
> 1) Local printer attached to this computer
> 2) A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer
>
> I choose (2).
>
> Next I get:
>

> 1) Find a printer in the directory
>
> Presumably for when I am on a domain with Active Directory or
> something similar.
>

> 2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
> option and click next)
>
> I can type a 'name' into the box and the example is:
> \\server\printer
> I guess that is for when I am connecting to a printer that is attached
> to another computer or at least installed on that computer like a
> print server. That would mean I would have to have that other
> computer always on for the printer to work?
>

> 3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
>
> I can type a URL into the box.
> The example is:
> http://server/printers/myprinter/.printer
> This seems like my best bet, but what would I put in the box??
>

> Help maintain my sanity, even if I lose my self respect as I suspect I
> am going to kick myself!
>
> Thanks,

Roger Johnstone

In <fr4rk4$u5$(E-Mail Removed)> Alan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
> machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
>
> The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
> IP of 192.168.1.104.
>
> The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
>
> I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
> the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
> manually without having to install all the other rubbish?
>
> If I connect the printer directly to the computer (USB) it works
> without installing any additional drivers, so I don't think that is
> the issue.

You could try installing Bonjour. I've never used it with Windows but
it's free and it's got to be better software than anything HP would give
you.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html

From the blurb:
"The Bonjour Printer Wizard is also included and allows Windows
computers to print to Bonjour networked printers, including USB shared
printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base
Stations. Since Apple first launched Bonjour in 2002, every major maker
of network printers has adopted Bonjour. With the Bonjour Printer Wizard,
computers using Windows can also experience the benefits of effortlessly
discovering and printing to these Bonjour printers."

I think you'll still need the HP software if you want to do anything
besides print though.

--
Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz

Justin

Alan wrote:
> "thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> jetdirect'ing it on port 9100
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

> Hi Thing,
>
> Thanks for the reply - But I don't get it.
>
> Which of those three options do I have to go for?
>
> 1) Find a printer in the directory
>
> 2) Connect to this printer (or to browse for a printer, select this
> option and click next)
>
> 3) Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
>
> Thanks,

Don't install a Network Printer. Install a local printer, untick
automatically detect it.

When asked for a port click new and select Standard TCP/IP. Input the IP
address in the first line and it will fillout the second with
IP_xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. It will prompt you for what type of print server. I
think Standard HP type will work OK

That should be all you need to do.

Regards

Justin

peterwn

On Mar 11, 7:40 pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer on the
> wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to create
> a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job done.

I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the SMB
route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying another
250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the TCP/IP
route and it set up fine.

Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended to
have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.

Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
(and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on the
basis of the printer's MAC number.

Enkidu

peterwn wrote:
> On Mar 11, 7:40 pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer on the
>> wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to create
>> a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job done.
>>

> I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the SMB
> route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
> connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying another
> 250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the TCP/IP
> route and it set up fine.
>
> Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended to
> have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.
>
> Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
> (and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
> should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on the
> basis of the printer's MAC number.

It will be the one allocated to the printer, which would normally be a
static one.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

Malcolm Moore

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:36:52 +1300, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I feel like an idiot asking this, but how do I connect my WinXP Pro
>machine to a printer that is on the LAN?
>
>The LAN is a 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0) subnet and the printer has an
>IP of 192.168.1.104.
>
>The printer is an HP PSC 2350.
>
>I can install all the crap that came with the printer, and in doing so
>the software finds the printer and sets it up, but how do I do that
>manually without having to install all the other rubbish?

I know you don't want to install all the crap that came with it, but
all you seem to need is inpw_en.exe (5.9 MB) which is
presumably included. This is the "Install Network Printer Wizard". It
is also available at

<http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=ja-7489-8&lang=en&cc=us&mode=3&>

I've used an earlier version (4 something, called hpjsi_en.exe) on
both W98 & XP with a Jetdirect server box and it's fairly painless.

I'll grant that you won't learn much doing it this way, except how to
get home sooner

snip

--
Regards
Malcolm

Alan

"Enkidu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47d6cb65$(E-Mail Removed)...
> peterwn wrote:
>> On Mar 11, 7:40 pm, Bobs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Your best option it to do TCP/IP printing. Select a LOCAL printer
>>> on the
>>> wizard and then when you go through the wizard, you can select to
>>> create
>>> a new port. Select an TCP/IP port and dump in the IP address. Job
>>> done.
>>>

>> I set up a Xerox machine as a printer via a network, but went the
>> SMB
>> route - I was feeling my way. It slowed down a laptop frequently
>> connected in to a snail's pace. I was on the point of buying
>> another
>> 250M of memory for it. The Xerox analyst advised me to go the
>> TCP/IP
>> route and it set up fine.
>>
>> Actually, I did also buy the other 250M of memory - the user tended
>> have alot of graphics open at once and kept crashing Publisher.
>>
>> Just a point about the LAN. Is the IP address you mentioned static
>> (and outside the allowable DHCP range), or allocated by DHCP. It
>> should AFAIK be static or a constant address allocated by DHCP on
>> the
>> basis of the printer's MAC number.
> >

> It will be the one allocated to the printer, which would normally be
> a static one.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> --
>
> Have you ever noticed that if something is advertised as 'amusing'
> or 'hilarious', it usually isn't?

In my specific case, I checked and yes it is static (DHCP is turned
off).

Thanks,