Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Question about Google Groups

Question about Google Groups

NeoGeoSNK

Hi,
I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
">"
">>"
">>>"
These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
signs I input.

Thanks
Ning

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 11, 12:35*pm, NeoGeoSNK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
> these signs means?

Since you have made relevant posts to this group
previously, and had no luck searching based on
'>' - I will forgive that this post is off-topic
for a Java technical group.

It is, on the other hand, relevant to both usenet
and replying.

Next time you are going to reply to a thread,
look carefully at the earlier text shown in the
message area - here is a good example of one
of your own replies..
<http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...rogrammer/msg/
972b80f5f82bbe2d>

Note the ealier replies all are indented with
one or more '>'.

The 'last reply' will be indented with every
line of the previous message starting with '>'.

Two '>>' means the text has been replied to
(or 'quoted by people') twice.

'>' is not the only character used to indent
quoted text, but it is the most common.

>.. Is there some manual I can learn from the web?

W3C is the authority that issues recommendations
re the WWW, but both usenet (you're looking at it)
and email predate the World Wide Web.

Note also that Google Groups is just one
(relatively poor) interface to access usenet.
Google might mistakenly think it invented
usenet, but that is just not the case.

--
Andrew T.
PhySci.org

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> Note the ealier replies all are indented with
> one or more '>'.
>
> The 'last reply' will be indented with every
> line of the previous message starting with '>'.
>
> Two '>>' means the text has been replied to
> (or 'quoted by people') twice.
>
> '>' is not the only character used to indent
> quoted text, but it is the most common.

Many newsreaders are optimized to present quoted text, that is, text prefaced
with one or more '>' characters and a blank, in special fonts.

For example, Thunderbird presents all the text I quoted from Andrew's post in
blue while I'm composing a post, and as long paragraphs set off by colored
margin bars once posted. (One colored bar for each '>' level of quote.)

--
Lew

Roedy Green

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:35:09 -0700 (PDT), NeoGeoSNK <(E-Mail Removed)>

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html#ATTRIBUTIONS
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Jeff Higgins

NeoGeoSNK wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
> these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
> ">"
> ">>"
> ">>>"
> These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
> Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
> US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
> know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.
>
> I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
> signs I input.

On Replies and Forwards in Outlook 2003
<http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/generalEmailOptions/emailOptions.cwd>

or

Change the look of forwarded and replied to messages
<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052431761033.aspx>

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

NeoGeoSNK wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
> these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
> ">"
> ">>"
> ">>>"
> These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
> Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
> US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
> know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.
>
> I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
> signs I input.
>
> Thanks
> Ning

Oh man. First of all, this is *Usenet*, as replicated by Google for
their own gain <g>.

Read some articles here: <http://www.neallandfield.com/usenet/>

The ">" signs (as the first character on a line) are indicators that the
text is being quoted from someone.
--
Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Op3racional
www.op3racional.eu

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 11, 10:22*pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> The ">" signs (as the first character on a line) are indicators that the
> text is being quoted from someone.

LOL! Quote from the OP's 'Google profile'.

"Quote: what does "Quote" mean? "

I tried to introduce the concept 'subtly' in
my first post ( though Aussies have often been
accused of considering a sledgehammer 'subtle'

And to the OP - please do not send an email
'thank you' to every person that replies.
Look at *my* Google profile (hint, hint)
for tips on this matter.

And a healthy '' to all responders..

--
Andrew T.

NeoGeoSNK

On Mar 11, 1:18*pm, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 18:35:09 -0700 (PDT), NeoGeoSNK <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> >US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
> >know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

> seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/newsgroups.html#ATTRIBUTIONS
> --
>
> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
> The Java Glossaryhttp://mindprod.com

Thanks, I added this link to my bookmark!

NeoGeoSNK

On Mar 11, 2:18*pm, "Jeff Higgins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> NeoGeoSNK wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
> > these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
> > ">"
> > ">>"
> > ">>>"
> > These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
> > Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
> > US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
> > know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

> > I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
> > signs I input.

> On Replies and Forwards in Outlook 2003
> <http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/generalEmailOp...>
>
> or
>
> Change the look of forwarded and replied to messages
> <http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP052431761033.aspx>

Thanks Jeff, My outlook can reply with prefix ">" now

NeoGeoSNK

On Mar 11, 7:22*pm, Sabine Dinis Blochberger <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> NeoGeoSNK wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a question about the message format of google groups, what does
> > these signs means? Is there some manual I can learn from the web?
> > ">"
> > ">>"
> > ">>>"
> > These signs are very popular in many US forums but very rare in the
> > Asia. I ask this question because I recently received many emails from
> > US and I see ">" everywhere. And I use outlook in company, and I don't
> > know how to add ">>" in outlook 2003.

> > I try to find the answer from search engine but google ignore ">"
> > signs I input.

> > Thanks
> > Ning

> Oh man. First of all, this is *Usenet*, as replicated by Google for
> their own gain <g>.
>
> Read some articles here: <http://www.neallandfield.com/usenet/>
>
> The ">" signs (as the first character on a line) are indicators that the
> text is being quoted from someone.
> --
> Sabine Dinis Blochberger
>
> Op3racionalwww.op3racional.eu- Hide quoted text -