Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop memory upgrade

laptop memory upgrade

Jimbob

Hello.

I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.

How would i go about this.

According to this link
http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.

Thanks.

Gordon

Jimbob wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
> want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>
> How would i go about this.
>
> According to this link
> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
>
> Thanks.

Don't bother with 4GB - unless you have a 64 bit version of Windows. 32
bit versions of Windows cannot see more than about 3.2 GB RAM, and then
probably they don't use it all.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:22:22 +0000, Jimbob wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
> want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>
> How would i go about this.
>
> According to this link
> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.

Laptops generally have only two memory slots.

#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Black Elvis

Jimbob wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
> want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>
> How would i go about this.
>
> According to this link
> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.

call them ask them

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx?gc...fqlfxgodoxe38w

Jimbob

Meat Plow wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:22:22 +0000, Jimbob wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
>> want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>>
>> How would i go about this.
>>
>> According to this link
>> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
>> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
>> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
>>

> Laptops generally have only two memory slots.

Yes, just found that from doing the crucial memory advisor.

Jimbob

Gordon wrote:
> Jimbob wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory.
>> I want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>>
>> How would i go about this.
>>
>> According to this link
>> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
>> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
>> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Don't bother with 4GB - unless you have a 64 bit version of Windows. 32
> bit versions of Windows cannot see more than about 3.2 GB RAM, and then
> probably they don't use it all.

So, my laptop has 2 slots. Currently i have 2*512mb sticks. Would i be
ok in buying a 2gb stick and use one of the 512mb sticks, totalling 2.5gb?

Seems the performance is by using matching pairs, prefferably kits. So
im a bit dubious about mixing and matching. Might be just best to buy
2*1gb for now, until i upgrade to 64bit OS.

L.E. Funt

you need 2 x 1gb, for dual channel

"Jimbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Meat Plow wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:22:22 +0000, Jimbob wrote:
>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory. I
>>> want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>>>
>>> How would i go about this.
>>>
>>> According to this link
>>> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp i
>>> can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
>>> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
>>>

>> Laptops generally have only two memory slots.

> Yes, just found that from doing the crucial memory advisor.

Baba O'Reilly

On 2008-03-10, Jimbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> Jimbob wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have an acer aspire laptop which currently holds 2*512mb of memory.
>>> I want to upgrade to 2gb if possible.
>>>
>>> How would i go about this.
>>>
>>> According to this link
>>> http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Asp...93/version.asp
>>> i can upto 4gb. Should i buy another 2*512mb, or does it make a
>>> performance difference if i buy 4*1gb or 2*2gb.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Don't bother with 4GB - unless you have a 64 bit version of Windows. 32
>> bit versions of Windows cannot see more than about 3.2 GB RAM, and then
>> probably they don't use it all.

> So, my laptop has 2 slots. Currently i have 2*512mb sticks. Would i be
> ok in buying a 2gb stick and use one of the 512mb sticks, totalling 2.5gb?
>
> Seems the performance is by using matching pairs, prefferably kits. So
> im a bit dubious about mixing and matching. Might be just best to buy
> 2*1gb for now, until i upgrade to 64bit OS.

You probably only have 2 slots total, so buy 2 1GB sticks.