Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > MySQL tutorial

MySQL tutorial

Ed Mullen

I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
tutorials on using MySQL.

I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That would
be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I might
accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online versions

I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.

Any thoughts?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Justin E. Miller

Ed Mullen wrote:
> I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
> available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
> tutorials on using MySQL.
>
> I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That would
> be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I might
> accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online versions
>
> I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
>
> Any thoughts?

Buy a book. I recommend MySQL 2nd Edition by Larry Ullman.
http://tinyurl.com/2ymkxa

--
Justin Miller
http://welcometoubuntu.blogspot.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
> available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
> tutorials on using MySQL.
>
> I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That
> would be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I
> might accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online
> versions

The whole point here is to use the right tool for the job. Excel is for
spreadsheets, and can be used as a flat database.

MySQL, Access, etc are _relational_ databases. Say you have this
configuration: Table 1
Name Zipcode CityID
Bob 91205 1
Larry 91206 1
Helen 91205 1
Joan 90028 2

Table 2
ID CityName CountyID
1 Glendale 1
2 Hollywood 1
3 Burbank 1

Table 3
ID CountyName
1 Los Angeles
2 Orange

The relationship is the CityID key in Table 1 to the ID key in Table 2,
and the CountyID key in Table 2 to ID key in Table 3. Relational
databases can be very powerful.

> I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
>
> Any thoughts?

I suggest you import your Excel sheets into Access, and make (save) some
queries. Then open those queries in SQL mode to see how it works. Once
you have familiarized yourself with that, then you can make the move to
a larger database manager like MySQL.

IIRC, Access comes with a database called Northwind, and there are
plenty of tutorials that use that db. The query language used by
Access, MySQL, MS SQL, etc. is very similar.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Ed Mullen

Justin E. Miller wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
>> available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
>> tutorials on using MySQL.
>>
>> I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That
>> would be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I
>> might accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online versions
>>
>> I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Buy a book. I recommend MySQL 2nd Edition by Larry Ullman.
> http://tinyurl.com/2ymkxa

I'll check it out. Thanks.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)>
> writing in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have a local install of WAMP and MySQL and PHP, which are also
>> available on my online Web host. I'm looking for some basic beginner
>> tutorials on using MySQL.
>>
>> I maintain two databases in Excel of names, addresses, etc. That
>> would be my primary use and I'm trying to figure out what advantages I
>> might accrue by diving into using MySQL to maintain the online
>> versions

> The whole point here is to use the right tool for the job. Excel is for
> spreadsheets, and can be used as a flat database.
>
> MySQL, Access, etc are _relational_ databases. Say you have this
> configuration: Table 1
> Name Zipcode CityID
> Bob 91205 1
> Larry 91206 1
> Helen 91205 1
> Joan 90028 2
>
> Table 2
> ID CityName CountyID
> 1 Glendale 1
> 2 Hollywood 1
> 3 Burbank 1
>
> Table 3
> ID CountyName
> 1 Los Angeles
> 2 Orange
>
> The relationship is the CityID key in Table 1 to the ID key in Table 2,
> and the CountyID key in Table 2 to ID key in Table 3. Relational
> databases can be very powerful.
>
>> I currently know next to nothing about MySQL.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> I suggest you import your Excel sheets into Access, and make (save) some
> queries. Then open those queries in SQL mode to see how it works. Once
> you have familiarized yourself with that, then you can make the move to
> a larger database manager like MySQL.
>
> IIRC, Access comes with a database called Northwind, and there are
> plenty of tutorials that use that db. The query language used by
> Access, MySQL, MS SQL, etc. is very similar.

Ok, thanks for the clues.