Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > basic ??? about Windows XP

basic ??? about Windows XP

GTS

<struggles@.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
> with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
> drive, it gives me the message: SNIP

By default there is no 'My computer' icon on an XP desktop. Add it by
right-clicking on the desktop, select properties, the Desktop tab, then
customise desktop, and put a check next to My Computer. Double clicking on
My Computer takes you straight to the drives.
Alternatively, when you do find a drive, right click on it and select Send
to...desktop as shortcut.
Graham

struggles@.

I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
drive, it gives me the message:
_______________________________________
Unable to connect

The Web site is currently unavailable or the
connection to the Internet has been lost.
Make sure you are connected to the Internet
and try again.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Other than selecting Local Hard Drives (C from the
Look In: menu which I do, is there something else I
have to do to get it to search the hard drive?

Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
machine, and if so, where do I find it?

Thanks for any help!
David

Michael Hawes

"GTS" <gts123SPAM-NO!@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
newsjgBj.10303$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <struggles@.> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
>> with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
>> drive, it gives me the message: SNIP

> By default there is no 'My computer' icon on an XP desktop. Add it by
> right-clicking on the desktop, select properties, the Desktop tab, then
> customise desktop, and put a check next to My Computer. Double clicking on
> My Computer takes you straight to the drives.
> Alternatively, when you do find a drive, right click on it and select Send
> to...desktop as shortcut.
> Graham

Windows key + E will open Explorer.

Mike.

Bob Hobden

<struggles@.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
> with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
> drive, it gives me the message:
> _______________________________________
> Unable to connect
>
> The Web site is currently unavailable or the
> connection to the Internet has been lost.
> Make sure you are connected to the Internet
> and try again.
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
> Other than selecting Local Hard Drives (C from the
> Look In: menu which I do, is there something else I
> have to do to get it to search the hard drive?

Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

> Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
> PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
> machine, and if so, where do I find it?

From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click Create
a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully. Have
all your ISP details to hand.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

struggles@.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:51:48 GMT, "GTS" <gts123SPAM-NO!@ntlworld.com> wrote:

><struggles@.> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
>> with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
>> drive, it gives me the message: SNIP

>By default there is no 'My computer' icon on an XP desktop.

It's there.

>Add it by
>right-clicking on the desktop, select properties, the Desktop tab, then
>customise desktop, and put a check next to My Computer. Double clicking on
>My Computer takes you straight to the drives.

Doing the search that way produces the same result.

>Alternatively, when you do find a drive, right click on it and select Send
>to...desktop as shortcut.
>Graham

I'm okay with shortcuts. I'm trying to search the hard drive
(not "for" the hard drive), and get online.

struggles@.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:14:48 -0000, "Bob Hobden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
>Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
>search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
same message:
_______________________________________
Unable to connect

The Web site is currently unavailable or the
connection to the Internet has been lost.
Make sure you are connected to the Internet
and try again.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
>> Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
>> PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
>> machine, and if so, where do I find it?
>>

>From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click Create
>a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully. Have
>all your ISP details to hand.

Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
absence of the modem could somehow be causing
the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

Bob Hobden

<struggles wrote after...
> "Bob Hobden" replied:
>
>>Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
>>Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
>>search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

> That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
> same message:
> _______________________________________
> Unable to connect
>
> The Web site is currently unavailable or the
> connection to the Internet has been lost.
> Make sure you are connected to the Internet
> and try again.
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
>>> Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
>>> PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
>>> machine, and if so, where do I find it?
>>>

>>From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click
>>Create
>>a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully.
>>Have
>>all your ISP details to hand.

> Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
> no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
> absence of the modem could somehow be causing
> the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

Wouldn't think so.

There might be a modem installed, there usually is, but it may be disabled
or something. Perhaps the previous owner used Broadband and disabled it. .

Have you checked the Hardware tab on the Device Manager for a modem?
(Control Panel, then System, then Hardware then Device Manager and then
click on Modem and see what's there. If there is one double click the modem
and see what it says on the various tabs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Michael Hawes

"Bob Hobden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <struggles wrote after...
>> "Bob Hobden" replied:
>>
>>>Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
>>>Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
>>>search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

>> That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
>> same message:
>> _______________________________________
>> Unable to connect
>>
>> The Web site is currently unavailable or the
>> connection to the Internet has been lost.
>> Make sure you are connected to the Internet
>> and try again.
>> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
>>>>

>>>From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click
>>>Create
>>>a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully.
>>>Have
>>>all your ISP details to hand.

>> Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
>> no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
>> absence of the modem could somehow be causing
>> the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

> Wouldn't think so.
>
> There might be a modem installed, there usually is, but it may be
> disabled or something. Perhaps the previous owner used Broadband and
> disabled it. .
>
> Have you checked the Hardware tab on the Device Manager for a modem?
> (Control Panel, then System, then Hardware then Device Manager and then
> click on Modem and see what's there. If there is one double click the
> modem and see what it says on the various tabs.
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob Hobden

What are you searching for?

Mike.

struggles@.

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:30:35 -0000, "Michael Hawes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bob Hobden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <struggles wrote after...
>>> "Bob Hobden" replied:

>>> That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
>>> same message:
>>> _______________________________________
>>> Unable to connect
>>>
>>> The Web site is currently unavailable or the
>>> connection to the Internet has been lost.
>>> Make sure you are connected to the Internet
>>> and try again.
>>> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

>>> Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
>>> no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
>>> absence of the modem could somehow be causing
>>> the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

>> Wouldn't think so.
>>
>> There might be a modem installed, there usually is, but it may be
>> disabled or something. Perhaps the previous owner used Broadband and
>> disabled it. .
>>
>> Have you checked the Hardware tab on the Device Manager for a modem?
>> (Control Panel, then System, then Hardware then Device Manager and then
>> click on Modem and see what's there. If there is one double click the
>> modem and see what it says on the various tabs.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Bob Hobden
>>

> What are you searching for?
>
> Mike.

Regardless of what I search for, it always gives the same
result. Even if I search for a file I know is there and where it's
located the same message is still the only result.