Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > hour glass

hour glass

raj

While system is processing, how to display a "processing" symbol
(e.g. like an hour-glass symbol in Windows), so that the User knows
the System is processing the user's request

my code is in java,when i am downloading a page on clicking a link i
need to show the user that the page is getting downloaded .

can anyone suggest me on this.

Jeff Higgins

raj wrote:
> While system is processing, how to display a "processing" symbol
> (e.g. like an hour-glass symbol in Windows), so that the User knows
> the System is processing the user's request
>
> my code is in java,when i am downloading a page on clicking a link i
> need to show the user that the page is getting downloaded .
>
> can anyone suggest me on this.

Describes some techniques:
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/components/progress.html>

RedGrittyBrick

raj wrote:
> While system is processing, how to display a "processing" symbol
> (e.g. like an hour-glass symbol in Windows), so that the User knows
> the System is processing the user's request
>
> my code is in java,when i am downloading a page on clicking a link i
> need to show the user that the page is getting downloaded .
>
> can anyone suggest me on this.

I've used this ...
component.setCursor(Cursor.getPredefinedCursor(Cur sor.WAIT_CURSOR));
component.setCursor(null);
where component might be your top-level JFrame for example.

I encapsulated this in a class that keeps track of busy threads so that
I can manage cursor state for a JFrame depending on the state of
multiple overlapping (in time) busy threads.

You can of course have different cursors for different areas of your GUI
by using setCursor on separate components or containers.

Roedy Green

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:10:27 -0700 (PDT), raj <(E-Mail Removed)>

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cursor.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary