Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > LED flashlight (torch light) as cheap video light

LED flashlight (torch light) as cheap video light

skarkada@gmail.com

(1) My camera (Canon S2 IS) doesn't come with a shoe. It can take very
good video in good light conditions, but the quality deteriorates
quickly with the light.
(2) My camcorder doesn't have builti-in video light, but came with a
shoe. Most external video lights are expensive and cheap ones take
several hours to charge and produce only a few minutes of light.

I wanted to experiment with small and cheap LED flashlights and see
how they might work as video lights.

I found this 9 LED flashlight on Amazon for $5 with conditional free
shipping:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LIOPTS

I used this flashlight and took a short video using my digital camera
in low light conditions. I have posted the video at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9vZAcjDWcY

Please note that I am not making any recommendations. I am just
posting my observations for the benefit of others who may be thinking
the way I was. I am sure an external video light with its own stand
would be much better option.

This particular flashlight is small enought to fit in my camera bag
along with the other portable accessories such as a small tripod, lens
cleaning kit, spare batteries, and memory cards that I always carry.

I am now trying to figure out how to mount a foot (tongue?) to this
flashlight so I can use it in my camcorder's shoe without having to
hold it in my hand.

~~NoMad~~

I got a 67 LED headlamp at http://www.dealextreme.com/ for $9.34. VERY
BRIGHT!

Works good as a video light and synchronizes directly with your brain for
special lighting effects.

NM

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> (1) My camera (Canon S2 IS) doesn't come with a shoe. It can take very
> good video in good light conditions, but the quality deteriorates
> quickly with the light.
> (2) My camcorder doesn't have builti-in video light, but came with a
> shoe. Most external video lights are expensive and cheap ones take
> several hours to charge and produce only a few minutes of light.
>
> I wanted to experiment with small and cheap LED flashlights and see
> how they might work as video lights.
>
> I found this 9 LED flashlight on Amazon for $5 with conditional free
> shipping:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LIOPTS
>
> I used this flashlight and took a short video using my digital camera
> in low light conditions. I have posted the video at:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9vZAcjDWcY
>
> Please note that I am not making any recommendations. I am just
> posting my observations for the benefit of others who may be thinking
> the way I was. I am sure an external video light with its own stand
> would be much better option.
>
> This particular flashlight is small enought to fit in my camera bag
> along with the other portable accessories such as a small tripod, lens
> cleaning kit, spare batteries, and memory cards that I always carry.
>
> I am now trying to figure out how to mount a foot (tongue?) to this
> flashlight so I can use it in my camcorder's shoe without having to
> hold it in my hand.

peter

>I got a 67 LED headlamp at http://www.dealextreme.com/ for $9.34. VERY
>BRIGHT!
>
> Works good as a video light and synchronizes directly with your brain for
> special lighting effects.

Does the beam cover the entire area when the camera is at wide angle, or
does it cover only a small spot?

~~NoMad~~

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >I got a 67 LED headlamp at http://www.dealextreme.com/ for $9.34. VERY
> >BRIGHT!
>>
>> Works good as a video light and synchronizes directly with your brain for
>> special lighting effects.

> Does the beam cover the entire area when the camera is at wide angle, or
> does it cover only a small spot?

With my older JVC camcorder it covers the entire wide angle area but the
central part is much brighter. A little bit of zoom evens it out. Its not
the perfect video light but, the price is right.

NM

policy_wonk

A little bit of zoom evens it out. Its not
> the perfect video light but, the price is right.
>
> NM

Dealextreme has the same light 2 for $5.00 free shipping but it takes about
3 weeks to get things from them. I've bought a bunch of these 9 led lights
for give-aways at the office and found that about 1 out of 10 are dead and
not fixable. Some require a little fiddling to get working. $2.50 each
delivered is hard to believe but true. I don't understand the economics of
slave labor I suppose.

irwell

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:16:57 -0400, "policy_wonk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A little bit of zoom evens it out. Its not
>> the perfect video light but, the price is right.
>>
>> NM
>>

>Dealextreme has the same light 2 for $5.00 free shipping but it takes about
>3 weeks to get things from them. I've bought a bunch of these 9 led lights
>for give-aways at the office and found that about 1 out of 10 are dead and
>not fixable. Some require a little fiddling to get working. $2.50 each
>delivered is hard to believe but true. I don't understand the economics of
>slave labor I suppose.

How the hell do they do it? in the dollar shop I bought
for $1 a repair kit for fixing eye-glasses. The nice looking folding
box contains 3 mini screwdrivers, various screws and nosepads and a
magnifying lens.