Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > IE Webcontrols - Tabstrip

IE Webcontrols - Tabstrip

floater55

So has anyone worked with the IE webcontrols much? I've found that they've come in very handy for Internet Explorer clients ... ON A WINDOWS PLATFORM ONLY! I've implemented the tabstrip control and it works out great (again only in IE on a PC). Does anyone have any suggestions for dynamically adapting this control to work with other browsers/platforms? Most specifically Safari on a OS X platform.

The whole reason for my usage of this control is that it is already written for me. It would be a shame to have to recreate it for other platforms. I guess the thing that sold me on it was Microsoft saying:

"The WebControls deliver content that renders in all commonly used browsers, while taking advantage of powerful features supported by Internet Explorer 5.5 or later versions. The WebControls provide an authoring solution with widespread reach, by delivering HTML 3.2 compatible content to downlevel browsers (Internet Explorer 5.01 or earlier or a browser other than Internet Explorer). ASP.NET Web forms detect the client browser capabilities and include DHTML behaviors in the Web pages downloaded to uplevel browsers (Internet Explorer 5.5 or later)."

I hate to say it, but from what I've seen, the above quote from Microsoft seems to be an outright lie. I would be happy to hear any suggestions or experience with this problem because right now I'm at a loss as to what to do about this.

-Brian

Craig Deelsnyder [MVP]

Actually, they'd pry argue that Safari is so new and therefore not
'commonly used'...that really is part of it. Not to say the control isn't
'tailored' or biased towards IE, of course they want you to move there.
Without knowing how Safari supports HTML standards, and how all of that
relates to the TabControl that was built over a year ago, I couldn't say
it's a lie....

Have you tried overriding the browser capabilities in your .config, and map
the Safari user-agent string to support all the functionality of IE?
That's one possibility, I've done that before to get Netscape to work with
other things sometimes....

What does it look like anyway? What's wrong with it, does it show up at
all?

--
Craig Deelsnyder
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

floater55

Well it does show up, but when you click a tab to move to another multipage
(and change the selected tab to the one you clicked) nothing occurs. The
original tab stays selected along with the original multipage.

It is not only Safari that is acting weird. It is IE 5 on OS 9 that is
doing the same thing. In addition to that Netscape 7 on a PC has similar
problems.

Everything renders fine with these browsers, however any functionality is
absent. For example if you click on a tab other than the default tab
nothing happens. On IE on a PC everything is fine.

I will try overiding the browser capability in my config file and see how
that works, however shouldn't it automatically detect the browser/platform
types? Thanks very much for the suggestion!

-Brian

news(E-Mail Removed)...