Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux (Kubuntu) - Adept Error That I Don't Know How To Fix

Linux (Kubuntu) - Adept Error That I Don't Know How To Fix

Alan

Hi All,

I am using Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), upgraded (if that is relevant)
from 7.04 (Feisty Fawn).

When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean, cold
boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:

Database Locked - Adept Installer
Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

If I click on 'Yes' (I want to try to resolve the problem), I am
immediately in over my head!

Anyone have any ideas or suggestion on where to from here??

Thanks,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

peter

Alan wrote:
> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean, cold
> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
> Database Locked - Adept Installer
> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

In a konsole, run this command ...
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it got
interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the repository
server or somewhere.

BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should also
try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
(search on the error message).

HTH

Peter

Alan

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Alan wrote:
>> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
>> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean,
>> cold
>> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
>> Database Locked - Adept Installer
>> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably
>> some
>> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

> In a konsole, run this command ...
> sudo dpkg --configure -a

Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast as
I can.....)

> Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it
> got
> interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
> repository
> server or somewhere.

Is it interesting / unexpected that such a lock survives a reboot
though?

> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
> also
> try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
> (search on the error message).

I beg to differ - you are here with me now!

However, I take your point, and will post there in future - perhaps in
addition to here

Thanks,

Alan.

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Mark Robinson

Alan wrote:
> "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Alan wrote:
>>> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
>>> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean,
>>> cold
>>> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
>>> Database Locked - Adept Installer
>>> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably
>>> some
>>> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

>> In a konsole, run this command ...
>> sudo dpkg --configure -a

Configures all the packages that are installed but not configured. It sometimes
needs to be done if the package manager is interrupted.

> Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast as
> I can.....)
>
>> Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it
>> got
>> interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
>> repository
>> server or somewhere.
>>

> Is it interesting / unexpected that such a lock survives a reboot
> though?

I wouldn't be surprised if it updates the package indices and then perhaps
downloads the packages needing upgrading in the background on reboot.

you might find clues in /var/log/apt

or use 'ps auxf' to look at the list of running processes

or use 'lsof | apt' to look for processes using relevant files

>> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
>> also
>> try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
>> (search on the error message).
>>

> I beg to differ - you are here with me now!
>
> However, I take your point, and will post there in future - perhaps in
> addition to here
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan.

Alan

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Alan wrote:
>> "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> In a konsole, run this command ...
>>> sudo dpkg --configure -a

> Configures all the packages that are installed but not configured.
> It sometimes
> needs to be done if the package manager is interrupted.
>
>> Thanks for that - What does that command do? (I am learning as fast
>> as
>> I can.....)
>>
>>> Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps
>>> it
>>> got
>>> interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
>>> repository
>>> server or somewhere.
>>>

>> Is it interesting / unexpected that such a lock survives a reboot
>> though?

> I wouldn't be surprised if it updates the package indices and then
> perhaps
> downloads the packages needing upgrading in the background on
> reboot.
>
> you might find clues in /var/log/apt
>
> or use 'ps auxf' to look at the list of running processes
>
> or use 'lsof | apt' to look for processes using relevant files
>

>>> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You
>>> should
>>> also
>>> try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search
>>> engine
>>> (search on the error message).
>>>

>> I beg to differ - you are here with me now!
>>
>> However, I take your point, and will post there in future - perhaps
>> in
>> addition to here
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alan.

Cool - Thanx for that Mark.

I am always interested in learning more about how it all fits together
and works.

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Alan

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Alan wrote:
>> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
>> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean,
>> cold
>> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
>> Database Locked - Adept Installer
>> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably
>> some
>> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

> In a konsole, run this command ...
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
>
> Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it
> got
> interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the
> repository
> server or somewhere.
>
> BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should
> also
> try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
> (search on the error message).
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

That seems to have fixed it.

A big 'THANX' to you.

Regards,

--

Alan.

else associated with me.

My current valid email address is:

(E-Mail Removed)

email address.

ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fr4cs9$mpv$(E-Mail Removed)>, Alan did write:

> I am always interested in learning more about how it all fits together
> and works.

In that case, you might be interested in the "man" (manual) pages that are
the traditional *nix reference material, particularly for command-line
programs. Open up a terminal window, type

man dpkg

and you will find concise (not to say cryptic) explanations
of "dpkg --configure -a" and all the other fun things you can do with dpkg.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <1205171729.384921@ftpsrv1>, peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Alan wrote:
>> When I run the Adept Installer (Kubuntu - Add / Remove Programs -
>> Adept), I get the following error despite it being from a clean, cold
>> boot and running nothing else (manually) before Adept:
>> Database Locked - Adept Installer
>> Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some
>> other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude).

>In a konsole, run this command ...
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
>
>Adept locks the database while it is doing something, so perhaps it got
>interrupted due to a glitch with your connection or at the repository
>server or somewhere.
>
>BTW nz.comp is not such a great place to get Linux help. You should also
>try the ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org or use a search engine
>(search on the error message).

... or try the group alt.os.linux.ubuntu

Alan

Cool - thanks!

--

Alan.

Alan

"Bruce Sinclair" <(E-Mail Removed) >
wrote in message news:fr4f23$sjb$(E-Mail Removed)...

> .. or try the group alt.os.linux.ubuntu

I am now subscribed to that group.

NNTP is much better than this new fangled web thang!