Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Who uses Java?

Who uses Java?

Mark Thornton

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
>> Jon Harrop <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> I get the impression that many are database and XML related and few are
>>> GUI related. That surprises me: I thought cross-platform GUIs were a
>>> major selling point of Java.

>> I won't pretend to know what everybody is doing, but from where I sit,
>> the primary advantage of Java is cross-platform *server* software (i.e.
>> J2EE servers or web containers) running on anything from low-end PC's
>> to heavy server iron.

> That's interesting. I hadn't thought that being cross-platform would be an
> advantage for servers. Is that because you don't want to be tied to MS? Are
> there any Linux-only competitors?

In the server world, non x86 CPUs still exist. A Java app can run
unchanged on any of IBM's disparate collection of hardware.

Mark Thornton

Jon Harrop

Mark Thornton wrote:
> My company (http://www.optrak.co.uk) produces vehicle routing software
> which is written largely in Java. The bits which aren't in Java are for
> historical reasons and will eventually disappear.

This is very interesting. May I ask why you are choosing Java?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

Jon Harrop

Mark Thornton wrote:
> In the server world, non x86 CPUs still exist. A Java app can run
> unchanged on any of IBM's disparate collection of hardware.

Is recompilation really that much of a problem?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

Daniel Pitts

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Arne Vajh°j wrote:
>> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>> Just ploughing through a few of these they all seem to be in the US. Is
>>> that representative of Java or just of this website?

>> It is a US job site, so surprisingly it has only US jobs.

> Ah, ok.
>
>>> Does Java have a higher
>>> market share of languages in the US than it does in Europe?

>> I don't think so.
>>
>> I would expect countries with many small companies to use a bit less
>> Java than countries with fewer big companies though.

> I see. So Java is used predominantly in large companies for database work
> and (guessing) intranet web services. Presumably that might be anything
> from software to run vets practices to airline ticket reservation systems
> and so forth?

The company I work for uses it for the externally visible, high-traffic,
highly-dynamic web sites. Also, we use Solr as a common back-end
technology, which is a Search Engine implemented in Java.

To put some numbers in it, our front page along gets gets well over 200
million hits a day.

RedGrittyBrick

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Mark Thornton wrote:
>> In the server world, non x86 CPUs still exist. A Java app can run
>> unchanged on any of IBM's disparate collection of hardware.

> Is recompilation really that much of a problem?

How many SKUs do you want to maintain for "F# for Numerics"?

Which of the following scenarios would be more useful to you?

1) IBM create an F# compiler that runs only on the IBM z10 and produces
native executables for that platform.

2) IBM create a CLR for the IBM z10 that runs the CIL produced by
Microsoft's F# compiler?

Jon Harrop

RedGrittyBrick wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> Mark Thornton wrote:
>>> In the server world, non x86 CPUs still exist. A Java app can run
>>> unchanged on any of IBM's disparate collection of hardware.

>> Is recompilation really that much of a problem?

> How many SKUs do you want to maintain for "F# for Numerics"?
>
> Which of the following scenarios would be more useful to you?
>
> 1) IBM create an F# compiler that runs only on the IBM z10 and produces
> native executables for that platform.
>
> 2) IBM create a CLR for the IBM z10 that runs the CIL produced by
> Microsoft's F# compiler?

We can retarget languages easily so it makes no difference to us.

Speaking of which, are there tools for translating Java code to other
languages (e.g. C#)?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u

Lord Zoltar

> We can retarget languages easily so it makes no difference to us.

Who is included in "we" and "us"?

RedGrittyBrick

Jon Harrop wrote:
> RedGrittyBrick wrote:
>> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>> Is recompilation really that much of a problem?

>> How many SKUs do you want to maintain for "F# for Numerics"?
>>
>> Which of the following scenarios would be more useful to you?
>>
>> 1) IBM create an F# compiler that runs only on the IBM z10 and produces
>> native executables for that platform.
>>
>> 2) IBM create a CLR for the IBM z10 that runs the CIL produced by
>> Microsoft's F# compiler?

> We can retarget languages easily so it makes no difference to us.

Eh? Neither scenario involves retargeting languages.

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Jon Harrop <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> That's interesting. I hadn't thought that being cross-platform would be an
> advantage for servers. Is that because you don't want to be tied to MS? Are
> there any Linux-only competitors?

Not tied to anybody, preferably. Linux-only? Why would anybody do that?

Anyway, customers differ. Some prefer Sun servers running Solaris,
others IBM servers running AIX. Some have staging environments running
on smaller servers. Developers can run a server locally on windows
boxes and deploy on different testing environments.

Many customers specifically require a J2EE solution, because they
already have servers and expertise in their infrastructure.

The advantage here is a software platform that is hardware and
operating system independent (in theory at least). It allows you to
develop for different hardware targets using the same developers! And
to reuse code between projects. The "write once, run anywhere" is a
big winner on the server side, but not very successfull on the client
side. My guess is it's mainly because the GUI looked equally bad on all
platforms

/L

Jon Harrop

Lord Zoltar wrote:
>> We can retarget languages easily so it makes no difference to us.

> Who is included in "we" and "us"?

Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com

We learned a long time ago that generating code for high-level languages is
a great way to earn geometric money in linear time. For some reason, we
have never really tried to attack the Java market though. We tend to carve
niches with new languages instead.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u