Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Back up and Restore

Back up and Restore

Dan

I recently had to reinsall my operating system. I went to great lengths to
back up my files/programs using the XP backup and restore application. I
placed the files on a portable hard drive. I installed the operating system
and using the restore application tried to restore MS Money Deluxe 2007 for
example. The restore application said it worked successfully; however Money
would not run. I had to download a trial version and then restore my Money
back up file. Same situation without Outlook Express V6. None of my mail
files and address book work.

Can someone please advise or help?

Colin Barnhorst

Are you using the 64bit version of XP? This is a newsgroup for 64bit XP,
Vista, and Server systems.

If you are using 32bit XP you might want to ask in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently had to reinsall my operating system. I went to great lengths to
> back up my files/programs using the XP backup and restore application. I
> placed the files on a portable hard drive. I installed the operating
> system
> and using the restore application tried to restore MS Money Deluxe 2007
> for
> example. The restore application said it worked successfully; however
> Money
> would not run. I had to download a trial version and then restore my
> Money
> back up file. Same situation without Outlook Express V6. None of my mail
> files and address book work.
>
> Can someone please advise or help?

Dan

Yes Colin I'm using the XP pro 64 bit.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Are you using the 64bit version of XP? This is a newsgroup for 64bit XP,
> Vista, and Server systems.
>
> If you are using 32bit XP you might want to ask in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
>
> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I recently had to reinsall my operating system. I went to great lengths to
> > back up my files/programs using the XP backup and restore application. I
> > placed the files on a portable hard drive. I installed the operating
> > system
> > and using the restore application tried to restore MS Money Deluxe 2007
> > for
> > example. The restore application said it worked successfully; however
> > Money
> > would not run. I had to download a trial version and then restore my
> > Money
> > back up file. Same situation without Outlook Express V6. None of my mail
> > files and address book work.
> >
> > Can someone please advise or help?

John Barnes

If I take you literally, you installed the operating system and now you
think you can take the programs in program files and get them to run without
reinstalling them? Hope I am misunderstanding. Take Colin's advice if you
are running XP86, otherwise be more clear as to the steps you are taking.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently had to reinsall my operating system. I went to great lengths to
> back up my files/programs using the XP backup and restore application. I
> placed the files on a portable hard drive. I installed the operating
> system
> and using the restore application tried to restore MS Money Deluxe 2007
> for
> example. The restore application said it worked successfully; however
> Money
> would not run. I had to download a trial version and then restore my
> Money
> back up file. Same situation without Outlook Express V6. None of my mail
> files and address book work.
>
> Can someone please advise or help?

Colin Barnhorst

What did you use as your backup solution? I take it that OE works but
without the personal files. Do all of the other bundled apps work (WMP, IE,
etc.)?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes Colin I'm using the XP pro 64 bit.
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Are you using the 64bit version of XP? This is a newsgroup for 64bit XP,
>> Vista, and Server systems.
>>
>> If you are using 32bit XP you might want to ask in
>> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.
>>
>> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I recently had to reinsall my operating system. I went to great lengths
>> > back up my files/programs using the XP backup and restore application.
>> > placed the files on a portable hard drive. I installed the operating
>> > system
>> > and using the restore application tried to restore MS Money Deluxe 2007
>> > for
>> > example. The restore application said it worked successfully; however
>> > Money
>> > would not run. I had to download a trial version and then restore my
>> > Money
>> > back up file. Same situation without Outlook Express V6. None of my
>> > mail
>> > files and address book work.
>> >
>> > Can someone please advise or help?

f64dods

Dan,

I have used Image for DOS for several years now to do backups. I create
images on other drives in case of hard drive failure. All your progs will run
as before if you restore the image - assuming you had the app in the first
place upon creating the image .

Simple and works great!
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/dow...ge-for-dos.htm