Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Media players.

Media players.

NRENNIE

Hi,

My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.

Ta!

Nick

Richard

NRENNIE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
> has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
> become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.

Im looking into getting the popcorn hour - they still have a few
firmware issues to resolve but the hardware can do whats needed and they
are promising a fix for the aspect problems so fingers crossed.

RL

Richard wrote:
> NRENNIE wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too
>> many and has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or
>> models that have become available? Any recommendations? Used only
>> for video playback on TV.

> Im looking into getting the popcorn hour - they still have a few
> firmware issues to resolve but the hardware can do whats needed and they
> are promising a fix for the aspect problems so fingers crossed.

The MediaGate is still the best solution I have found at present. The
MG-350HD is still widely available, although you may be able to find the
MG-350SHD now as well. It is just the SATA version of the MG-350HD, and
may also have HDMI in place of DVI.

The MG-450HD will be out later this year.

I am personally interested in HTPC for my projects, rather than any of
these all-in-one solutions. It may be a little more expensive, but I'm a
forward-thinking person who will no doubt want to play full HD content
on there soon enough.

RL

Craig Shore

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:33:01 +1300, "NRENNIE" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
>has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
>become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.

I thought the DVico players looked really good and was considering
getting one, but a couple of things put me off. The new one not here
yet supports H.264, and none of them let you play from anywhere on
your network, the files need to be shared from a specific folder.

So i'm still moving my Zensonic (now called Ziova) between rooms - it
just does network playing which is all I really need, and that also
eliminates any HD noise - the thing has no fans and runs silent.

Links
http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/
http://www.ziova.com/
http://www.tastech.co.nz/enclosures.htm
http://www.ascent.co.nz/search.aspx?T1=dvico&D1=2101

Nho Whei

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many and
>has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that have
>become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback on TV.
>

>Ta!
>
>Nick

This performs a similar function.....Linksys Media Extender DMA2100 at
Dick Smith. Looks tempting

J Brockley

"NRENNIE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fqvlpi$869$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My Altech MG-350HD media player has finally received one knock too many
> and has given up the ghost. Anyone know of any new types or models that
> have become available? Any recommendations? Used only for video playback
> on TV.
>

> Ta!
>
> Nick

Popcorn Hour NMT A-100 seems to get reasonable reviews but there's a waiting
list.