Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to switch to an ethernet connection?

How to switch to an ethernet connection?

d claude bear

My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris where
our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the laptop
to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in connection
automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You can set it so that if there is a Wire connection it would override the
Wireless.
Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"d claude bear" <d claude http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
> connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris
> where
> our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the
> laptop
> to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
> the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in
> connection
> automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

d claude bear

Thanks for your help, Jack. I followed all the instructions on the page you
included in your reply and was able to do everything.

However, when I turned off the laptop's wireless switch and plugged in the
ethernet cable (from the cable modem) that I use for my desktop computer,
there is an "unable to resolve internet address" error message from Cox (our
internet provider). And of course I could not access the internet.

Is it possible that the laptop was never set up to get a wired interface
signal? I will call the Cox tech line tomorrow to see if they can walk me
through the search for a wired connection IP address.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> You can set it so that if there is a Wire connection it would override the
> Wireless.
> Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "d claude bear" <d claude (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My wife's Satellite M45-S169 Toshiba laptop has always used a wireless
> > connection to our Linksys router at home . We want to use it in Paris
> > where
> > our rental apartment has a wire (presumably Ethernet) to connect the
> > laptop
> > to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
> > the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in
> > connection
> > automatically override the search for a wireless connection?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).